Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 04:42:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lawyers  (Read 1599 times)
williamj2543 (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 03:12:08 AM

I wondered how you guys though about lawyers. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I find that the whole idea of lawyers is bad. Chances are if you have a better lawyer, you have a much better chance of winning, even if you are in the wrong. For example, if you are a criminal, you murder someone, your obviously guilty, but if you have the best lawyer, he/she could twist everything and get you out of it. What do you guys think?

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 04:13:55 AM

I wondered how you guys though about lawyers. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I find that the whole idea of lawyers is bad. Chances are if you have a better lawyer, you have a much better chance of winning, even if you are in the wrong. For example, if you are a criminal, you murder someone, your obviously guilty, but if you have the best lawyer, he/she could twist everything and get you out of it. What do you guys think?

Sure, and not only that, but the current justice system is largely "pay to win"; examples are easy to find, but I'm reminded of the "affluenza case" that hit the news some months ago: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=453647.0. But in the end, you still need to either have someone/a group of people represent you, or a massive restructuring of the entire system, so that representation becomes unnecessary. So, what would you propose as a viable alternative?
dumbdragon

Merit: 354

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 04:26:48 AM

dude i seriously hate every lawyer and law maker.

Normal rate for a lawyer = $500 per hr.

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 12:09:15 PM

It's not different from antything else in life. Want good lawyer, you need to pay good money. The more you can afford to pay, the better protection you will get.

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 12:17:53 PM

For most of us a lawyer is a scum sucking leech and we couldn't feel anything if we saw one get hit by a car (since then 2 more would show up like cockroaches).  It's when you get in trouble that a lawyer may sadly become your best friend.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1572

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 12:55:34 PM

Yes, if you're rich you're less likely to go to jail. But who's really to blame? Expensive lawyers? Or the judge/jury, after all, they decide whether guilty or not and what the punishment would be.
The other problem is that poor people don't get the proper representation, they're often advised or pushed to confess even if not guilty.
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 01:03:15 PM

Yes, if you're rich you're less likely to go to jail. But who's really to blame? Expensive lawyers? Or the judge/jury, after all, they decide whether guilty or not and what the punishment would be.
The other problem is that poor people don't get the proper representation, they're often advised or pushed to confess even if not guilty.

Well, the jury will decide upon the verdict, but in no small part based upon how the situation is presented to them - and obviously, a good (expensive) lawyer will be adept at twisting the narrative to suit his needs. On the other hand, it seems naive to blame the lawyers without presenting a viable alternative; they are doing a necessary job after all, at least until a better system is in place.
Skrillex

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 01:37:39 PM

Well unfortunately you need a good one because most of the time you can understand shit about legal terms Sad
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 01:46:20 PM

It's not different from antything else in life. Want good lawyer, you need to pay good money. The more you can afford to pay, the better protection you will get.

Even as an Anarchist/Libertarian I know this is true but I find it pretty disgusting that our entire judiciary system is based on how rich you are jury's and judges are suppose to be impartial but it's obvious depending on the country that impartiality isn't practised in the slightest.

I think the worst examples by far have to be self-defence cases, I have nothing against lawyers themselves, just the system, they're simply a human reflection of the whole corruption that is going on.
bluefirecorp
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 02:06:49 PM

dude i seriously hate every surgeon and doctor.

Normal rate for a surgeon  = $10,000 per hr.

BitcoinMillionaire

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Bling Bling

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 03:13:51 PM

Maaaan, you got some hate going on there! I mean, lawyers can get you out of some pretty freaky crap! Seriously! Those judges are nothing to mess with and they know their game and get the best outcome for you!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 03:49:41 PM

For most of us a lawyer is a scum sucking leech and we couldn't feel anything if we saw one get hit by a car (since then 2 more would show up like cockroaches).  It's when you get in trouble that a lawyer may sadly become your best friend.

For a insane cost... so not really.
williamj2543 (OP)

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 05:21:46 PM

I just find that our justice system is corrupted, because even if you are clearly guilty, a good lawyer can give to a chance to win. I think that lawyers should be eliminated because it just imbalances the justice system.

▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
ibittunes

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 07:54:05 PM

Isn't there a saying about what to do with all lawyers and judges after a revolution

haha
leex1528

Activity: 784

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 07:56:38 PM

most of the problems today in America at least would be solved if there were no lawyers.  unfortunately it started off as a great respectable job, then much like a lot of stuff the more money that was threw at it, the more and more scum started working on getting law degrees. 

I think we removed lawyers from this country it would be a great day for everyone!
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 07:57:27 PM

dude i seriously hate every surgeon and doctor.

Normal rate for a surgeon  = $10,000 per hr.
People just don't get it. You can't expect lawyers to have same, similar or even only a bit higher wage than a waiter or some other lower end job.
Surgeons definitely deserve that payment if not more.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 08:00:30 PM

you can't really blame lawyers for the existence of lawyers. as long as society is built such that government authority is founded on laws, lawyers play a necessary role, and there is clear incentive for people to train to become lawyers.
leex1528

Activity: 784

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 08:02:19 PM

you can't really blame lawyers for the existence of lawyers. as long as society is built such that government authority is founded on laws, lawyers play a necessary role, and there is clear incentive for people to train to become lawyers.

You can however blame lawyers for not being morale and decent citizens and crazed money lunatics.  That is my beef with them, they don't even see a side of the story, they view people as walking paychecks and it is sickening.
Gimmelfarb

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 08:02:58 PM

most of the problems today in America at least would be solved if there were no lawyers.  unfortunately it started off as a great respectable job, then much like a lot of stuff the more money that was threw at it, the more and more scum started working on getting law degrees. 

I think we removed lawyers from this country it would be a great day for everyone!

the bigger problems lie in the convoluted nature of the legal system. the more complex and contradictory our laws become, the need for proper academic training for lawyers, and an abundance of lawyers to defend the economic viability of businesses, becomes more necessary.
Gimmelfarb

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 08:06:35 PM

You can however blame lawyers for not being morale and decent citizens and crazed money lunatics.  That is my beef with them, they don't even see a side of the story, they view people as walking paychecks and it is sickening.

that's the perverse nature of government authority and the law, and the system it creates. you can't claim that lawyers as a whole are immoral -- that's false on it's face. surely, the system is morally bankrupt, but the issue goes far beyond individuals. it creates incentive for people/business to use the law for their benefit (and at the expense of others), and in turn creates the economic incentive for people to pursue legal careers as a result.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: