Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:27:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 2268 times)
Aemon (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 05:24:53 PM

So I just started reading about bitcoins, I went ahead and created a wallet at coinbase.  I am trying to earn some coins now! 

I read a few of the things on the forums and it seems like I should stay away from faucets?(they just give you tiny amounts of coin correct?)  Any reason I should avoid them?

How do I go about getting my first coin?  How long should it take me (Roughly?)  I don't plan on purchasing them right now due to my finances...

Any help/guides would be great!  Hope to hear from you soon.

Aemon

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kingama

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 05:30:43 PM

People say stay away from faucets because they pay very low amounts of bitcoin. You might run around all the faucets you can for months to only earn a few dollars worth.

Since you're hooked up with Coinbase, link it to your bank account and use it to purchase a little bit. Even $5 or $10. Whatever the minimum is to get started. Then you'll have some with which to buy an item from somewhere and understand how simple it is to transact.

Now for acquiring more, I'd suggest you put in overtime or make as much money as you can the usual way, then convert some into bitcoin using Coinbase the same way. If you have skills that can be easily provided over the net (graphics, coding, tutoring) then you could try offering those here in the Marketplace section. Many have managed to earn extra income that way and trust me, it's 1000x more effective than doing faucets.

Good luck and welcome!
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 05:33:11 PM

So I just started reading about bitcoins, I went ahead and created a wallet at coinbase.  I am trying to earn some coins now!  

I read a few of the things on the forums and it seems like I should stay away from faucets?(they just give you tiny amounts of coin correct?)  Any reason I should avoid them?

How do I go about getting my first coin?  How long should it take me (Roughly?)  I don't plan on purchasing them right now due to my finances...

Any help/guides would be great!  Hope to hear from you soon.

Aemon

Avoid faucets. You will earn (MAYBE) few cents in huge amount of time.
Time wasters.

Have you got any skills? Programming, designing?

You can earn Bitcoins by completing tasks.

Visit:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=52.0
http://www.reddit.com/r/Jobs4bitcoins

and search every day for something suitable. Every day! If you want to earn something.

Also better than faucets are new coins Smiley Sometimes ...
Read https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=159.0
searchings for a new coins which are sometimes sharing some giveaway coins with new users.

Sometimes you can trade those coins later (in a month or more) and earn nice profit - sometimes just few cents.

And think creative! Smiley

Imagine Bitcoin. Now imagine what is impossible? Nothing! Smiley Spread your borders and think global.
This is what Bitcoin is. This is what Bitcoin is sharing with us.

Good luck!

Aemon (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 05:40:08 PM

Thank you for the quick responses!

I will stay away from faucets I guess. 

I do have some skills I am a computer science major and work in technology.  I'll check those links later here and keep in touch!

Thanks!

Aemon
Nagato4

Activity: 625
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 06:01:32 PM

So I just started reading about bitcoins, I went ahead and created a wallet at coinbase.  I am trying to earn some coins now! 

I read a few of the things on the forums and it seems like I should stay away from faucets?(they just give you tiny amounts of coin correct?)  Any reason I should avoid them?

Welcome.
It is very inefficient to earn bitcoin with faucets.
You will likely be able to get just a few thousand satoshi every hour, which worth just a few cents.

How do I go about getting my first coin?  How long should it take me (Roughly?)  I don't plan on purchasing them right now due to my finances...

It really depends.
You could earn bitcoin by selling products, selling services (eg. writing articles and programming), joining a signature campaign (ie. getting paid for putting an ad in your signature space while making posts), etc.

rottentomatoes

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:17:20 PM

Best way is working unfortunately, just like for fiat.
beaknuke

Activity: 412

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:24:06 PM

yeah faucets can be a waste of time, but i thought it was useful at the start to learn how to send with wallets and understand the differences between hot and cold wallets and everything, ok i topped up my moneys online and made many mistakes but the faucets helped me get going

Bitblue

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 12:19:22 AM

I do have some skills I am a computer science major and work in technology.  I'll check those links later here and keep in touch!

Thanks!

Aemon

You could also try this very forum. The services section is where you can advertise for freelance work.

(3rd attempt at posting this. gotta love the 5 min forced delay)
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:56:46 AM

If you aren't in a hurry just visit the forum daily and do some posts, at least one a day (or 14 every two weeks)
and you will eventually advance in rank and in the meantime gain some knowledge of the bitcoin world.
When you will have some more posts you can join a signature campaign and earn some satoshis.
bittown

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 06:08:00 AM

I'm in your same situation, I'll try with faucets just to pratice a little with the bitcoin wallet.
Relnarien

Activity: 399
Merit: 257

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 06:25:31 AM

I do have some skills I am a computer science major and work in technology.  I'll check those links later here and keep in touch!

Thanks!

Aemon

You don't necessarily have to avoid faucets. While I do agree that most faucets still alive are essentially scumponds, there are a few that are relatively decent. It's fine if you want to get a drip from a few good faucets when you have a minute or two to spare. Just don't fall victim to the mindset that faucets are a source of Bitcoin income. Many irrational people share that mindset, not realizing that faucets are a way to teach newbies how Bitcoin works, and are not a free source of Bitcoin wealth.
Aemon (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 08:03:29 PM

Thanks for the responses again.

I saw that the signature campaigns in the services forum require activity, is there a place that describes how activity is gained?  Can you lose activity if you are not active?

To the people who said stuff about faucets and learning, do you have any thoughts on which one to try?

Thanks!

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 08:51:43 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=237597.0

That's the official activity thread.  You can't lose activity, but cannot gain more than 14 activity per 2 week period, so it will be a while before you can use sig campaigns.  In the meantime, read up on the Bitcoin economy and how to secure a wallet.
Tammy Chan

Activity: 820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 09:19:43 PM

It is indeed a 6 min (360s) limit.
But no worries, it will be just 75s when you get 15 activity (as soon as next Tuesday). Smiley

Zyborg

Activity: 476
Merit: 256

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 09:22:26 PM

Dont invest in any ponzis / HYIPs and shit. Either earn bitcoins by working, use
"earn sites" or faucets, or increase your forum activity and join a signature campaign.

Compilation website at www.earnbtc.weebly.com

Good luck.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 09:25:04 PM
Last edit: July 30, 2014, 09:59:53 PM by pawel7777

To the people who said stuff about faucets and learning, do you have any thoughts on which one to try?

Thanks!

Hi Aemon, welcome to the forum.

Think the best one and more popular is http://freebitco.in/?r=213251. You can use it every hour, but they pay once a week (Sunday). If you're lucky you can get up to 0.35 BTC (don't know has anyone made it though). You can also gamble your funds.

EDIT: non ref link http://freebitco.in

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Zyborg

Activity: 476
Merit: 256

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 09:26:18 PM

Thanks!

Hi Aemon, welcome to the forum.

Think the best one and more popular is http://freebitco.in/?r=213251. You can use it every hour, but they pay once a week (Sunday). If you're lucky you can get up to 0.35 BTC (don't know has anyone made it though). You can also gamble your funds.
Dont post your referral links here without providing an alternative link. It's in bad taste and most likely not allowed.
Tammy Chan

Activity: 820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 09:48:20 PM

Think the best one and more popular is freebitco.in. You can use it every hour, but they pay once a week (Sunday). If you're lucky you can get up to 0.35 BTC (don't know has anyone made it though). You can also gamble your funds.

The probability to hit that max payment is very small at just 1/20000 chance.
While it is one of the best faucets, it is not really a good way to earn bitcoin IMO.

DjPxH

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 09:53:24 PM

It is indeed a 6 min (360s) limit.
But no worries, it will be just 75s when you get 15 activity (as soon as next Tuesday). Smiley

Ha, it really is a pain that it starts at 15 and not already at 14. That means 2 more long weeks of waiting longer Cheesy

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
michietn94
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 02:08:01 AM

i dont think u av to stay away from that , m
if u got many free time , maybe u cant aving that lil amount Cheesy