Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 05:40:47 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Bitcoin Miner for ~300?  (Read 1106 times)
NoahWL1 (OP)

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:12:36 PM

Hi everyone, I have recently sold my old phone so now I have a little under $300 and I'd like to spend it on some new Bitcoin hardware.  Right now I have 3 Antminer U2s overclocked, and 1 Rockminer R-Box, all making about $6 a week.  I really want to take this to a bigger scale though, so I'm thinking about getting an Antminer S1 because they're going for roughly $180 used on eBay, and a CX750m PSU is about $80 new at BestBuy.  Would this be the best option or is there something else that would be better for me?  I have free power, so that's also something to consider.  Thanks for your help!

EDIT:  Although I do this as a hobby and for fun, I do of course like the income I make so I can get more hardware and support other projects of mine.
teeGUMES
Legendary

Activity: 1253
Merit: 1203

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:21:58 PM

if you find the right seller you can possibly get 2 Antminer S1's for that price and run them both off of that Corsair CX750M.
NoahWL1 (OP)

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:24:02 PM

That would be fantastic, but are you sure?  Why would someone sell 2 for $180 when they could easily double that?
teeGUMES
Legendary

Activity: 1253
Merit: 1203

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:34:49 PM

if you watch the goods section of this forum there are often units going for .2  to .3 btc each
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:40:31 AM

Be advised that the S1s are considerably louder than an S3.  You could sneak an S3 into a bedroom and probably sleep in the same room - not the case with a stock S1.
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:46:30 AM

I would also recommend watching the [Marketplace] [Goods] section as well as [Auctions].  Occassionaly you can find a decent raffle under [Marketplace] [Gambling] [Games and Rounds] too such as this one that I'm entered into.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=713625.new#new

*note, these are literally gambling and there is no garuntee that you will walk away with anything for the satoshi's you throw at it.  Luck of the draw type of stuff.

S1's are absolutely rock-solid though.  Self-contained, not real noisy imho and stable as stable can be.  Highly recommended.  S3's also reasonably priced and offer far better wattage/GH ratio if you don't have reasonably cheap electric.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 09:17:53 PM

For around $300, shop around in the Goods section and/or the net for a good deal on a BTCGarden Blade:

https://asicpuppy.com/magentoPuppy/index.php/asic-mining-hardware/btcgarden-310gh-s-miner.html

Best bet at that price point and they're so quiet!

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 10:13:44 PM

I assume you're paying for electricity? Then S1's at any price are a terrible investment.

I have 3 in my garage that have been idle and collecting dust for a month. If you live near Vegas, come over and pick them up for free. You can also have 3 BFL 60GHs singles, 70 AM USB Block Erupters, 8 AM Blades, 10 U1s and 5 Bitfury sticks.

I'm keeping the USB hubs and PSUs though. Who knows, maybe I'll have a need for 12 USB hubs for something someday, lol. And they're probably worth more on eBay than everything else combined.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: