Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 05:21:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Way to prevent someone reselling code  (Read 733 times)
williamj2543 (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 01:14:02 AM

Hello, I am a programmer who owns lots of code to sell, and I have made a few sales already. One guy has bought the script, but is trying to resell the exact same thing on satoshibox.com and this forum. The site is made up of php, mysql, and html. I was wondering of a way to prevent someone from copying this code and giving it to someone else. I was thinking about providing keys out to people, and if the key matched a key stored on a mysql server, the code would be unlocked, but the people could just look at my mysql information and gain access to that, or they could delete the part of the file where it would match their key to the key on the database. Anyone have any ideas?

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
semobo

Activity: 1498
Merit: 146

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 01:22:18 AM

You could encrypt the code, but anyone with a few hours of time can reverse it fairly easy. You could add a few "call home" calls to check against a license db. Again, some time spent in the code they can null the calls. I'm not sure of the nature of the script, but some scripts can be uses a SaaS. Run the core code on your own server.
williamj2543 (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 01:26:20 AM

You could encrypt the code, but anyone with a few hours of time can reverse it fairly easy. You could add a few "call home" calls to check against a license db. Again, some time spent in the code they can null the calls. I'm not sure of the nature of the script, but some scripts can be uses a SaaS. Run the core code on your own server.
Of course I could do that, check their license against my database, but they can just delete that part of the code and separate it from my licensing system. A good solution is to actually run their script on my servers, but on their domain, so basically they just tell me what they want, and then they simply use their domain on my webserver, and then their site works, but sadly no one would want that because that would require me to change something whenever they wanted to change something.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
gweedo
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 02:01:36 AM

Alert Satoshibox, sadly you can't really do much unless you compile the php and html, using something like this http://www.ioncube.com/php_encoder.php.
semobo

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 02:01:57 AM

That's not what I meant at all. Create a web api that runs on your servers. Write your script around that api. Your server returns required data for the script to function. You can then control what domains call your api.
Jenny69

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 02:54:38 AM

If your code is sandboxed then it will ultimately be worth less because people will not be able to audit it to make sure it is safe.
williamj2543 (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 03:12:20 AM

Sadly I can't hide the code because it will be open source. I come to the conclusion that I will just have to trust people, and keep searching the forums for people reselling my code, and kindly ask them to remove it.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
semobo

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 03:23:02 AM

That don't make sense. You say it's opensource, but yet sell it? That defies the logic of opensource.
williamj2543 (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 03:33:02 AM

That don't make sense. You say it's opensource, but yet sell it? That defies the logic of opensource.
Ok I sell it, but the buyer gets opensource, so they can change it however they want. If I encrypted the code, it wouldn't be opensource.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
gweedo
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 03:40:52 AM

Ok I sell it, but the buyer gets opensource, so they can change it however they want. If I encrypted the code, it wouldn't be opensource.

Why don't you open source the code, and sell your services to installing it, working on it and hosting it for people. You will make a lot more money this way. I did something like this early in bitcoin, but I did with a trading bot, I open sourced the logic that made up the bot but not the strategies I used. People would contact me all the time to implement their strategies and/or host it on a VPS for them.
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 09:15:45 AM

Why don't you open source the code, and sell your services to installing it, working on it and hosting it for people. You will make a lot more money this way. I did something like this early in bitcoin, but I did with a trading bot, I open sourced the logic that made up the bot but not the strategies I used. People would contact me all the time to implement their strategies and/or host it on a VPS for them.
Yup this seems like a much better option.  And quite frankly you are never going to beat piracy online
zahra4571

Activity: 467
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 09:30:28 AM

The only solution is to sell it with higher price and don't care what they gonna do.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: