Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:57:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC engagement ring?  (Read 4154 times)
TimS

Activity: 250
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 04:28:53 PM

This only makes sense if the idea of a ring is to be valuable instead of to represent an engagement/marriage and/or look pretty. Maybe the sort of people that wear grills and bling will be into this? But not as an engagement ring.
They don't advertise it as an engagement ring, but that's what everyone seems to assume it is.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kingama

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 04:33:39 PM

I'm going to print one of these as soon as I size the ring finger of my girlfriend.
ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 04:36:10 PM

I'm going to print one of these as soon as I size the ring finger of my girlfriend.

You may need to find another girlfriend after doing this. Are you both into cryptocurrencies? Otherwise it may just appear to be something eerie and strange.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:03:26 PM

Its a cool idea, although I would never wear something like that.  It is definitely interesting though.   People could draw other ideas off of that too (like putting barcode on the backside of their watch or something)
Baitty

Activity: 532

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:05:53 PM

It's a niche area for Bitcoin I guess and I can see a lot of people wanting this service since they'll be earning quite a bit from Bitcoin.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
kingama

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:32:19 PM
Last edit: July 30, 2014, 09:06:05 PM by kingama

Update, this website doesn't work. I can't see a way to get an .stl file for my address or any other. Yes, my gf is into crypto and she said if I load two months salary on the ring she'll wear it.  Cheesy
sebbysebbybinx

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 02:41:52 AM

Hey guys, I am the creator of the theBTCring.com. I'm just letting you know I am serious about making a reasonable version of everything. The site is still under construction and I am working on the "next iteration" which will include a better/sturdier ring.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 02:44:02 AM

That's really cool...

Maybe I'll buy one (Eventually), maybe not...

+1 Creator is a genius
laurapalmer

Activity: 11

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:09:59 AM

meh, I'm more interested in block chain backed wedding licenses... not that I'd convince my gf to accept either of these ideas.
mrcashking

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:33:46 AM

haha thats dope! :-)
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:58:04 AM

Update, this website doesn't work. I can't see a way to get an .stl file for my address or any other. Yes, my gf is into crypto and she said if I load two months salary on the ring she'll wear it.  Cheesy

Two months of salary on a ring finger could get some people mugged for their ring
CryptoKenzi

Activity: 18

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 06:42:58 AM

Hopefully after time they will be able to make the ring prettier somehow. I realize that put your QR code on it is pretty difficult, while still trying to make it look wearable, but idk any girl that would wear that. I might put it on when I go to a BTC related event or conference, but other than that it will stay at home. The commercial made me laugh though. I even tweeted about it, lol. @cryptokenzi
TheNewAnon135246
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1989

฿uy ฿itcoin

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 06:44:12 AM

I was planning on buying my girlfriend an engagement ring with bitcoins. I doubt I would buy the one from OP's posts since it doesn't look that great Tongue. The idea is awesome though.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 07:06:48 AM

As much as I love Bitcoin and Crypto, my wife would not say "Yes" if I proposed to her with that minecraft ring.

She'd probably throw it in ocean, smack me upside the head, then leave me in Aruba when I proposed to her 7 years ago.

Women are silly like that...aesthetics matter to them!   Grin

Hmmm? How is this a minecraft ring? It is just a Bitcoin ring, or rather a ring with a bitcoin address in form of a QR-code.
I find it hard to believe that men don't care for aesthetics. I mean, come on... seriously?
Eheheh... My wife has a >$2k wedding/engagement ring (I have no idea why most people buy multiple rings) specifically made to look "subtle" (actually, I ended up calling it "industrial"). However, I have a $7 stainless steel band from Amazon (it was the second-cheapest and Prime-eligible -- the cheapest had chinese characters on it), and I'm quite fond of it. It gives me something to twiddle in my hands and have on anywhere without worry. It looks quite "normal" for a wedding band and if I lose it - no problem. Though her ring does look quite nice, I think, I believe I'm getting much more enjoyment out of my ring than she is, which she's worried about wearing anywhere or losing. TBH, though, I was hoping the jeweler who made the first ring for BTC would make me some titanium or stronger ones (he seemed very mildly offended and suggested I check out a bike shop).... It would be nice to have such strong rings on my fingers so if a tree were to fall on my hand, the rings and ground would help cushion the blow and maybe prevent me from totally losing my hand. Since it's raised from the fingers, it can prevent or significantly reduce damage from all sorts of injuries... the kitchen especially comes to mind.
jefflee

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 07:08:18 AM

I don't really get why you would want to get money involved with this?
Money is involved either way.  Diamonds aren't cheap, you know.

At least with a BTC ring you can e.g. use a 2 of 3 multisig wallet, give her a key (telling her it's a 2 of 2!) and keep the third key yourself. Cheesy

I don't care that much for diamonds, either. But at least they're considered beautiful by a majority of people. This thing looks rather clunky Cheesy
Oh and cheating your spouse at the time of the marriage isn't a very good foundation for a long-lasting relationship, I guess  Grin Grin

Totally agree with you.
As a male geek, I could't appreciate such a ring either. An important part of the value of a diamond ring is to be shown off in a party. How could one show off a stupid QR code?
An easy improvement is to create an ordinary ring, and put the QR code at the bottom (if it's big enough). If someone is interested, the owner can take it off and show the QR code.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 07:16:40 AM

Though her ring does look quite nice, I think, I believe I'm getting much more enjoyment out of my ring than she is, which she's worried about wearing anywhere or losing.

Had a friend who was like this - except for expensive watches. He was always kind of scared that someone would rob him - esp at night when he was partying and so forth.

@OP: I have to say I really dislike the design - it looks way too cheesy - trying too hard to somehow shove a Bitcoin address on the ring. It's not as elegant or clean as a normal wedding ring to be brutally honest. Guys, lets be serious here, not everything in the world has to be about Bitcoin. You don't see people walking around with a ring showing off USDs on it do you.
sebbysebbybinx

Activity: 15

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 09:36:09 AM

Whoah, didn't expect this thread to get resurrected! Creator of the ring here! First of all, check out the latest version of the ring at TheBTCRing.com, made in silver! It looks MUCH better than the original.
Make sure to check out the youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tMetT6-dxc

Also, this bitcoin project made *****ENGADGET*****!
http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/21/a-bitcoin-engagement-ring/

This was made the for Coinbase Bithack. Yes, this project is serious!

https://i.imgur.com/L04p3ge.png
https://i.imgur.com/mcKdN5g.png
https://i.imgur.com/G6du2VB.png
https://i.imgur.com/EjH8hbO.png

I am currently working on a 3.O version that looks even better!
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 03:43:27 PM

I mean the idea is perfect for a nerd proposing to another nerd. But it's hard to find female nerd in this community so I guess g*y proposal might suit it very much.

But can't say that I don't like the innovation.

R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 05:18:31 PM

so I guess g*y proposal might suit it very much.

What is this G * Y thing you talk about?

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
ronaldo40
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 05:27:48 PM

a pretty good idea, why not use the logo bitcoin? it would be better in my opinion Smiley
but still good Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: