Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:29:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Miners: Time to NOT deprioritise/filter address reuse!  (Read 1130 times)
kano (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 12:05:20 PM

Luke, yet again, another attempted attack on Satoshi Dice hidden behind fud

What was the last one he did? Dust (to stop SD confirms)

What else? Blocking SD on his pool.

Gotta love it when people say BTC can't handle transactions, it's not good enough ...
So the fix is to block them not fix it! Lulz

I think this image says it pretty clearly.

Edit: note I haven't made this thread so I can delete posts that disagree with me ... unlike what is happening in the other thread.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8411

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 11:04:06 PM

the post shows ~60% are happy with it, ...
mootinator

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:01:46 AM

'If it's from Luke it can't be any good' doesn't indicate happy...

No
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 03:08:11 AM

Except his poll questions are leading people towards certain responses that are wishy-washy rather than absolute.  When you have 6 answers on a poll for a yes/no poll, and 4 of the 6 are worded to be in favor of your personal opinion, and one is worded just to be an attack on Luke to lure trolls, leaving only 1 "normal" response which would be against it, that's not a very useful poll.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 03:36:16 AM

Not to mention having a self moderated thread by a trigger happy opening poster is hardly the means to debate anything in any meaningful fashion, irrespective of the discussion.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
kano (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:02:06 AM

'If it's from Luke it can't be any good' doesn't indicate happy...
Shhh - too much thought went into your reply Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
kuzetsa

Activity: 369

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 05:35:58 AM
Last edit: November 20, 2013, 05:51:17 AM by kuzetsa

This post is a "funny" way of explaining (using metaphorical case studies) how I feel about that poll.

///  Hypothetical ways to give people a "choice" about not actually unsubscribing from your spam mailing list, or making sure they get the carrots they secretly actually want, despite any reservations they have about your vegetables.  ///

After clicking the unsubscribe link on an uninteresting email much like countless others you've been getting... basically you're annoyed by this type of email on a daily basis... your computer opens up the unsubscribe link in your default browser, and displays a website with the following text:

Code:
We're sorry you don't find our
fancy widget product promotion
reminder notices...

(blah blah blah something something unsubscribe)

After quickly looking at the unsubscribe page in your browser, you see the word "unsubscribe" followed by two "select one" radio button options:

• Yes
  • No

... upon further study, you discover a few pre-checked checkboxes, and more than one button:

In the margins of the page, there are some checkboxes with various strangely worded options, many of which include "but", or "instead", or "please", and MULTIPLE buttons labeled "submit", and a single button labeled "cancel"

In a situation like this, who can really say what the correct action even is to get them to stop sending you "fancy widget product promotion reminder notices" (spam)

Does the cancel button cancel your attempt at unsubscribing?

What is the purpose for the Nth "submit" button near the 3rd cluster of multiple-choice buttons?

Another hypothetical scenario:

A person has a controversial idea about farming a particular variety of carrots, and there is an opinion poll with various options:

• {1}  (...) don't plant these abominations of nature
  • {2}  I don't like carrots (...)
  • {3}  We should grow potatoes (...)
  • {4}  Great, I like carrots
  • {5}  (...) let's get these carrots planted everywhere next growing season
  • {6}  (...)

The language can be used to manipulate the voter's thoughts away from carrot farming, and depending on the text which gets substituted in place of "(...)", any choices for these options could potentially be invalid due to a confusing & therefore flawed methodology.

Just as an example, let's say the word substitutions are as follows:

{1}  (you're not a very experienced carrot farmer ...)
{2}  (... but I agree we need to plant carrots)
{3}  (... but I guess the farming needs to move forward with carrots anyway.)
{4}  -- generic option to express support without bias or confusion --
{5}  (you looked pretty cool in those television commercials ...)
{6}  -- generic option to express strife, due to controversy about the carrot farmers --

Now, the "actual" (hypothetical) final text used for an option poll about carrot farming, as well as the results of our now somewhat confusing poll:

• {1}  (you're not a very experienced carrot farmer ...) don't plant these abominations of nature - 107 (43.3%)
  • {2}  I don't like carrots (... but I agree we need to plant carrots) - 20 (8.1%)
  • {3}  We should grow potatoes (... but I guess the farming needs to move forward with carrots anyway.) - 21 (8.5%)
  • {4}  Great, I like carrots - 38 (15.4%)
  • {5}  (you looked pretty cool in those television commercials ...) let's get these carrots planted everywhere next growing season - 45 (18.2%)
  • {6}  this idea came from someone with the wrong skin color, a controversial world view, their political affiliation directly opposes mine, or they otherwise automatically have bad ideas, so it doesn't matter what they want to farm - 16 (6.5%)
Total Voters: 247

Different poll, using a non-hypothetical bitcoin-related topic instead of carrot farming or the opt-out forms used by promotional mailing lists:

• You're an idiot, don't do this!
  • I don't like this, but I agree we need to move forward with it.
  • We should have waited longer, but I guess it needs to move forward now.
  • Great, it's about time!
  • You're a hero, let's get this deployed everywhere ASAP!
  • If it's from Luke, it can't be any good.
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 09:26:00 AM

I think the last option should be replaced with:

"If it's from someone that can't even make a proper poll, it can't be any good."
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 09:35:18 AM

This post is a "funny" way of explaining (using metaphorical case studies) how I feel about that poll.

///  Hypothetical ways to give people a "choice" about not actually unsubscribing from your spam mailing list, or making sure they get the carrots they secretly actually want, despite any reservations they have about your vegetables.  ///

After clicking the unsubscribe link on an uninteresting email much like countless others you've been getting... basically you're annoyed by this type of email on a daily basis... your computer opens up the unsubscribe link in your default browser, and displays a website with the following text:

Code:
We're sorry you don't find our
fancy widget product promotion
reminder notices...

(blah blah blah something something unsubscribe)

After quickly looking at the unsubscribe page in your browser, you see the word "unsubscribe" followed by two "select one" radio button options:

• Yes
  • No

... upon further study, you discover a few pre-checked checkboxes, and more than one button:

In the margins of the page, there are some checkboxes with various strangely worded options, many of which include "but", or "instead", or "please", and MULTIPLE buttons labeled "submit", and a single button labeled "cancel"

In a situation like this, who can really say what the correct action even is to get them to stop sending you "fancy widget product promotion reminder notices" (spam)

Does the cancel button cancel your attempt at unsubscribing?

What is the purpose for the Nth "submit" button near the 3rd cluster of multiple-choice buttons?

Another hypothetical scenario:

A person has a controversial idea about farming a particular variety of carrots, and there is an opinion poll with various options:

• {1}  (...) don't plant these abominations of nature
  • {2}  I don't like carrots (...)
  • {3}  We should grow potatoes (...)
  • {4}  Great, I like carrots
  • {5}  (...) let's get these carrots planted everywhere next growing season
  • {6}  (...)

The language can be used to manipulate the voter's thoughts away from carrot farming, and depending on the text which gets substituted in place of "(...)", any choices for these options could potentially be invalid due to a confusing & therefore flawed methodology.

Just as an example, let's say the word substitutions are as follows:

{1}  (you're not a very experienced carrot farmer ...)
{2}  (... but I agree we need to plant carrots)
{3}  (... but I guess the farming needs to move forward with carrots anyway.)
{4}  -- generic option to express support without bias or confusion --
{5}  (you looked pretty cool in those television commercials ...)
{6}  -- generic option to express strife, due to controversy about the carrot farmers --

Now, the "actual" (hypothetical) final text used for an option poll about carrot farming, as well as the results of our now somewhat confusing poll:

• {1}  (you're not a very experienced carrot farmer ...) don't plant these abominations of nature - 107 (43.3%)
  • {2}  I don't like carrots (... but I agree we need to plant carrots) - 20 (8.1%)
  • {3}  We should grow potatoes (... but I guess the farming needs to move forward with carrots anyway.) - 21 (8.5%)
  • {4}  Great, I like carrots - 38 (15.4%)
  • {5}  (you looked pretty cool in those television commercials ...) let's get these carrots planted everywhere next growing season - 45 (18.2%)
  • {6}  this idea came from someone with the wrong skin color, a controversial world view, their political affiliation directly opposes mine, or they otherwise automatically have bad ideas, so it doesn't matter what they want to farm - 16 (6.5%)
Total Voters: 247

Different poll, using a non-hypothetical bitcoin-related topic instead of carrot farming or the opt-out forms used by promotional mailing lists:

• You're an idiot, don't do this!
  • I don't like this, but I agree we need to move forward with it.
  • We should have waited longer, but I guess it needs to move forward now.
  • Great, it's about time!
  • You're a hero, let's get this deployed everywhere ASAP!
  • If it's from Luke, it can't be any good.

Nice post , but when you start putting so much work on something so trivial , you add value to that trivial cause.
It's clear that the poll was made so with pure intention to make the results unclear.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:45:08 PM

That poll is a trick. A simple yes/no would have sufficed, instead of the pointless 3 other items.

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: