Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:54:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Takeover assurance - A new service could help the crypto scene?  (Read 1049 times)
testadimerlo (OP)

Activity: 826
Merit: 263

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:27:42 PM

Hi guys,
first of all, apologies in advance for my imperfect english.
Then, I want to share with you an idea. I'd like to know what you think about it.
As all of us have seen, the crypto scene is becoming a full time scamming job for a lot of devs. This is the price that we pay to be anonymous, so maybe it's part of the game. Nevertheless, it introduce in the market a high level of fear. All these scams don't destroy only the investors: is the whole crypto world to be compromised.
Mistrust is uneconomic for the whole business.

So, let's see. What happens when a dev leaves? Ok, the coin immediately crashes in the markets.. Understable. But the worst is that the dev doesn't give any password and so the coin goes to die definitively. I think that if it could be EASIER to make a quickly takeover, IF and WHEN a dev dumps and goes away, then his exit could be only a TEMPORARY CRISIS and not the definitively coin's death. So I m wondering if it could be exists a " TAKEOVER ASSURANCE" service.

How?

- BEFORE the launch of a coin ( and before to raise money: IPO/ICO exc ), a dev could give all the passwords ( thread, social media, etc) to a thirdy part - let's say a PassWord escrow. This agreement will be named: Takeover assurance. It doesn't guarantee you will not be scammed. It guarantee that in the case that this happens, the coin doesn't die and there will be another chance  ( if there is a community behind).

- The PW Escrow will provide to keep this documentation in a safe place

- If the dev of a coin disappears ( not only because he s a scammer,  but also for personal reasons: life is full of unexpected events), then the community could to contact the PW escrow to have all the passwords saved  ( 48 hours? 72 hours? One week? Each community could decide which is a reasonable time with no updates by the dev or we also could fix a standard one).

This agreement could be named " Takeover assurance".

I think that if every dev decides to agree with a " takeover assurance", then the community will know that in the worst of the case it will lose only the dev and not all the job done. It's a little step, a small safety.

- If a dev decide for a " takeover assurance", he will put this information in the OP. He will give to the PW escrow every password he s holding ( thread, reddit, twitter and so on) and all that could be necessary in the case of a future takeover

- Every member that handle a social network coin account will do the same

- At the same time, the PW escrow will provide to keep a public list of the coins that choose this service

- Naturally the PW escrow will be highly professional. Every coin dossier will be considered extremely reserved

- The PW escrow is not responsible for every lack of communications by the dev/community ( in case of change of password, for example)

So, two questions:

1) What do you think about it? Should this service be usefull?

2) About the takeover: what else a dev needs to do it? I m not tech astute, so every suggestion is appreciated.

I m ready to do this kind of job and so I think of other reputable members of this community, no more no less than a normal escrow, with the difference that a PW escrow doesn t manage money but passwords. But, again: do you think this could be useful for the crypto scene limiting the scam's damages?

Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zhongzy

Activity: 546
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:29:35 PM

takeover also is over ,game over ,you know that ...
testadimerlo (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:32:35 PM

Yeh, you are right. But maybe takeover is game over also because the coin usually die with the dev. I think we should start thinking that a takeover is part of the game and to be ready for that. As I see the situation, in the future we will have more faith in the takeover coins than the new  Undecided
Shadow_Runner

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:34:19 PM

+1 when I see "takeover" in header it is dead flag for me.
testadimerlo (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:39:04 PM

+1 when I see "takeover" in header it is dead flag for me.

for me too. But then? We go to the next scam. And the game restart..I don t know
dogetime

Activity: 257

BUY BUY CELL CELL

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:39:09 PM

Why should we trust you not to scam us over the devs?

Pump and dump philosophy
BTC: 1EZnwK5H5nRV2Tm4qToPg4Gb56eu35YoUC
testadimerlo (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:41:55 PM

Me? How could I scam you? I m interested in the idea, if it is useful or not. There are and there will be tons of escrow, you can choose. I m interested if this can help us or not.
dogetime

Activity: 257

BUY BUY CELL CELL

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 06:14:53 PM

Me? How could I scam you? I m interested in the idea, if it is useful or not. There are and there will be tons of escrow, you can choose. I m interested if this can help us or not.

I m ready to do this kind of job

That indicates that you'd be wanting to do this, my question is why I should trust you or the other escrow to have access to the passwords which gives them full control over the coin. If the coin wasn't a scam but the escrow provider was then you've created a whole new problem that wouldn't exist before.

There have also been community takeovers in the past which have been successful, it's not like it's not already possible. Plus if the coin turns out to be a scam then what's the point in making sure the coin stays alive anyway, the damage will have already been done and can't really be reversed as the name/reputation is tarnished.

I personally wouldn't want to hold a coin which had this service in place, it just adds another potential place to be scammed in an altcoin ecosystem that's full of scams at the moment.

Pump and dump philosophy
BTC: 1EZnwK5H5nRV2Tm4qToPg4Gb56eu35YoUC
LegendaryAnvil

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 06:26:29 PM

You are just rewarding or giving devs even more of a reason to leave.  I understand where you are coming from trying to help people but I just think it will benefit scam devs more.
placebo
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 06:31:29 PM

A lot is happening now.

Romancoin was takeover by a new group of people (Diemcoin people)

Now Greekcoin/Titancoin is being takeover by a investment group

Iceberg, Darkcash, USBcoin has been takeover by community.

First of all, why so many takeovers? Because a lot of them were scam from the beginning and people invested money in those coins and want to see some returns, for example i own Icebergcoin and i was really pushing hard for a takeover because it was listed on several exchanges.

There seems to be more and more a trend that investment groups are taking over coins, and honestly that is a good move. As those people have money, can pay for services, etc.

In the '90 you had so many different currencies, and now it is all one currency 'Euro', so combining coins in a investment group or taking over several coins is the future.

SYNC/VOOT = MsCollec...

Diemcoin/Romancoin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: