Print  
Author Topic: ..  (Read 6842 times)
BowieMan

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:25:16 PM

I own a handful, I guess. But I'm not comfortable telling the broad public about how much exactly my stash amounts to. Imagine telling the world you have 10 BTC in cold storage and 5 years later the price is at $100000, I guess a lot of people would be coming over to 'borrow' some money from you!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:30:01 PM

I own a handful, I guess. But I'm not comfortable telling the broad public about how much exactly my stash amounts to. Imagine telling the world you have 10 BTC in cold storage and 5 years later the price is at $100000, I guess a lot of people would be coming over to 'borrow' some money from you!
That's simple. Don't be a moneylender. Will find out real quick who your real friends are. And don't charge interest if you do either, that's what got all of us in the fiat mess we are in.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
BowieMan

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:31:46 PM

That's simple. Don't be a moneylender. Will find out real quick who your real friends are. And don't charge interest if you do either, that's what got all of us in the fiat mess we are in.

Yeah, I won't do that, but I guess it's a very sad feeling seeing all those people lining up just because of your money... Also you may become the target of people who try to blackmail you or demand ransom of some kind!

PRIMEDICE
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:34:49 PM

Yeah, I won't do that, but I guess it's a very sad feeling seeing all those people lining up just because of your money... Also you may become the target of people who try to blackmail you or demand ransom of some kind!
So don't be blackmailable (that is now a word, spellchecker). That's a personal choice we all have to make.

izanagi narukami
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1028

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:35:16 PM

i just know bitcoin since March 2014  Tongue
so until now i have about BTC 0.3 at my balance.

If only i know earlier 'bout bitcoin things, i probally reach more than BTC 1 already

Smiley
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 4457

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 05:04:59 PM

Over 4300 in theory but 4200 or so are on gox so who knows really :S

Fuck, man.  Sorry to hear it Sad
But why? It was obvious that gox was a Bad Place To Put Your Money for quite a while. Why feel sorry for stupidity and/or greed?

It's not as simple as that.

I tried to withdraw the 50 coins I had at Gox to a paper wallet a year ago when it became obvious something was fishy there.

They wouldn't let me withdraw without identity verification so I went about acquiring ID (I don't live in the kind of fascist regime that requires citizens to carry ID) and by the time I got it together, my 50BTC had already been "withdrawn" by someone else.

Needless to say, I immediately opened a ticket but was given a runaround for dozens of emails over several months until they finally imploded and I haven't heard from them since.

Luckily they represented less than a third of my coins at that time. At an average cost of less than $120 they still represented a significant loss but I was still firmly in the black. When the price broke a grand, I was furious at the thought of losing $50,000.00.

Of course I joined the class action lawsuit but I'm not holding my breath expecting anything back.

Sometimes shit happens.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 05:16:22 PM

4200?!!! Holy moly, so sorry man Sad hope you at least recover some of it. I think it is going to take a long time, but people like yourself will be the first to get paid back when it happens
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 05:18:24 PM

Oh, how incredibly correct you are. People are shameless when it comes to borrowing your money...and *really* shameless when it comes to paying it back.

This couldn't be more true. Deep down you know who is going to pay you back before you lend out your money (outside of extenuating circumstances)
JimboToronto
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 05:22:28 PM

4200?!!! Holy moly, so sorry man Sad hope you at least recover some of it. I think it is going to take a long time, but people like yourself will be the first to get paid back when it happens

I don't think it's a matter of anyone being paid back "first".

It's more a matter of how many pennies on the dollar.

I'm not optimistic about it being anything sizeable. Lawyers and bureaucrats will get the lion's share.
TrangLee

Activity: 210

Living the dream

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 06:18:29 PM

I have 10 btw in wallet 4 on exchange.

Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 06:25:18 PM

But why? It was obvious that gox was a Bad Place To Put Your Money for quite a while. Why feel sorry for stupidity and/or greed?

It's not as simple as that.

I tried to withdraw the 50 coins I had at Gox to a paper wallet a year ago when it became obvious something was fishy there.

They wouldn't let me withdraw without identity verification so I went about acquiring ID (I don't live in the kind of fascist regime that requires citizens to carry ID) and by the time I got it together, my 50BTC had already been "withdrawn" by someone else.

Needless to say, I immediately opened a ticket but was given a runaround for dozens of emails over several months until they finally imploded and I haven't heard from them since.

Luckily they represented less than a third of my coins at that time. At an average cost of less than $120 they still represented a significant loss but I was still firmly in the black. When the price broke a grand, I was furious at the thought of losing $50,000.00.

Of course I joined the class action lawsuit but I'm not holding my breath expecting anything back.

Sometimes shit happens.
Okay, fair enough. But there is still the matter of placing such a large part of your holdings in one place, especially an exchange. I have my coins in 3 different places (and spread over several times more wallets), and I'm just in the low double digits. And only a fraction at a time touches an exchange or other online service, not 90%+.

JimboToronto
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 06:46:47 PM

only a fraction at a time touches an exchange or other online service, not 90%+.

Indeed. At the time of my loss my other 112 coins were in cold storage.

The main reason I had 50 coins at Gox was to take advantage of possible flash price swings. I'd missed the chance to take advantage of the very predictable panic during the SatoshiDice sale and couldn't deposit or withdraw fiat at Gox so I left the 30 coins there in case a similar short-term opportunity presented itself in the future.

Leaving 30% of my coins in one place anywhere online was a big mistake.
BowieMan

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 06:49:31 PM

only a fraction at a time touches an exchange or other online service, not 90%+.

Indeed. At the time of my loss my other 112 coins were in cold storage.

The main reason I had 50 coins at Gox was to take advantage of possible flash price swings. I'd missed the chance to take advantage of the very predictable panic during the SatoshiDice sale and couldn't deposit or withdraw fiat at Gox so I left the 30 coins there in case a similar short-term opportunity presented itself in the future.

Leaving 30% of my coins in one place anywhere online was a big mistake.

Aww, sorry to hear that! But it was a wise move insofar, as you wanted to be able to save your wealth from being deminished in case of a flash-crash, that could happen at practicably every hour in the Bitcoin world. What you did was hedging against possible risks. Don't be too hard on yourself about this!

PRIMEDICE
soccosocco

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 06:56:27 PM
Last edit: August 28, 2014, 06:59:46 PM by soccosocco

i vote 0.50000001 - 5.99999999 BTC
I just know bitcoin in april 2014
and until now I just collect 0.7 BTC  Cheesy
very little.
BowieMan

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 07:02:11 PM

i vote 0.50000001 - 5.99999999 BTC
I just know bitcoin in april 2014
and until now I just collect 0.7 BTC  Cheesy
very little.

If you're right and lucky, you may retire then Smiley Wouldn't this be an awesome thing to do? Retire for a mere $413.7? Cheesy Cheesy Wait a few more years and maybe you could even retire on some sunny island in the sun Smiley

PRIMEDICE
zymafluo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 01:28:56 PM

I only own few satoshis but I will buy some coins as soon as I can.
bitcoin4eva

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 01:33:38 PM

Currently I'm only at 0.1BTC. Not enough, so I have invested some money to hashpower and hopefully soon I'll have more!
btcpokerface

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 02:32:13 PM

I have 0,5 btc stored in a cold wallet, I want more!

♬-♬-♬-♬ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ Earn up to 0.05 btc/week by posting in the LTB forum!!! ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ♬-♬-♬-♬ --------->
<--------- LTB coin now traded on Poloniex!!!
lemfuture

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 02:34:57 PM

o.o ..i'm below the average

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2014, 03:32:48 PM

Currently I'm only at 0.1BTC. Not enough, so I have invested some money to hashpower and hopefully soon I'll have more!

Currently I have 0.08866929 BTC only. Like you, I already bought some hashpower. Good luck!
Kindly,
      MZ

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: