Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:09:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Argentina Defaults 2nd time in 13 years!  (Read 4865 times)
windjc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 08:21:25 AM

What will this do to the Bitcoin market price? Its the middle of the night.

This may be big news.
Dragonkiller

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 08:26:18 AM

Nothing. Or we might go down a bit.

Macro news does not influence BTC price yet. The people that think the April 2013 bubble was due to Cyprus are deluded.
windjc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 08:30:44 AM

Macro news does not influence BTC price yet. The people that think the April 2013 bubble was due to Cyprus are deluded.

Yeah. I agree. Im just bored.  Grin
Leina

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 08:39:32 AM

Did price controlled and exchange controlled kick in yet?

Wolf Rainer
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1022

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 08:49:27 AM

This may be big news.

Big news? For bitcoin, not for my country... The rich people here buy bitcoins to save they money from the devaluation and the constant price raising of products.
Wexlike
Legendary

Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 09:29:49 AM

This may be big news.

Big news? For bitcoin, not for my country... The rich people here buy bitcoins to save they money from the devaluation and the constant price raising of products.

Do you live in argentina? Are there exchanges where you can buy bitcoins with pesos? If yes, is the price rising equivalent to the pesos loss of value against the us dollar? I have read about a 15% inflation per year in argentina.
Wolf Rainer
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 11:01:14 AM

This may be big news.

Do you live in argentina? Are there exchanges where you can buy bitcoins with pesos? If yes, is the price rising equivalent to the pesos loss of value against the us dollar? I have read about a 15% inflation per year in argentina.

Yes, the price it´s rising the equivalent to the pesos loss of value against the us dollar. Also, the inflation per year it´s not 15%, it above 30%.
Bios Optimus

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 11:17:33 AM

This may be big news.

Yes, the price it´s rising the equivalent to the pesos loss of value against the us dollar. Also, the inflation per year it´s not 15%, it above 30%.
Sorry Wolf for you and your people. I hope and pray that things won't be as bad as expected
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 11:19:17 AM

I don't think that the price will be influenced by the news of Argentina default,
maybe it can rise a little but if there aren't big whales playing the market, it won't move.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 11:21:58 AM

This may be big news.

Sorry about your country, but excellent news that the price keeps pace with inflation. Theory suggests it would, but good to see it confirmed in practice.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 11:22:58 AM

This may be big news.

No it's not. The economy of Argentina is too small to have an impact. People there rely primarily on the dollar to protect them against the ongoing devaluation of the peso.

I think they have a healthy bitcoin community, but it's only a tiny fraction of the population. Also, I don't know of any notable bitcoin exchange operating in Argentina.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
DjPxH

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 11:52:55 AM

Bitcoin will be the first thing the government is going to fight if it actually makes some impact there. People trying to get money out of the country and buy foreign currencies is already something that's highly regulated there. Just adopt Bitcoin as a nation's currency Cheesy

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Wolf Rainer
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 12:13:27 PM

This may be big news.

No it's not. The economy of Argentina is too small to have an impact. People there rely primarily on the dollar to protect them against the ongoing devaluation of the peso.

I think they have a healthy bitcoin community, but it's only a tiny fraction of the population. Also, I don't know of any notable bitcoin exchange operating in Argentina.

ya.ya.yo!

Argentina economy it´s too small to have an impact? Argentina it´s on the top 20 most oil production countries. It produce the 15% of the world soya production. It have the third biggest lithium resources. And 8% of all grain in the world are produced in Argentina. Etc, etc.
DjPxH

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 12:19:36 PM

This may be big news.

ya.ya.yo!

Argentina economy it´s too small to have an impact? Argentina it´s on the top 20 most oil production countries. It produce the 15% of the world soya production. It have the third biggest lithium resources. And 8% of all grain in the world are produced in Argentina. Etc, etc.

It would at least be a major political and psychological sign if they really adopted Bitcoin in a large manner. This would make Dell seem like pennies!

PRIMEDICE
atoni

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 12:50:24 PM

The impact will probably be that Argentinians will have less money to buy bitcoin in the future.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 01:45:27 PM

This may be big news.

ya.ya.yo!

I did not say that Argentina's economy is small in a general sense. But it is too small for the default to have severe global consequences, because it is not highly interconnected or within a bigger common currency zone like countries in the EU for example. You also have to take in consideration that the default might damage but will not extinguish the whole economy, since it does not come without warning.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 02:11:20 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2014, 03:03:08 PM by Wandererfromthenorth

I think there are misconceptions around that idea of the influence of news of that magnitude on the BTC price.
I think news like Cyprus are more like a self-fulfilling prophecy to the price of bitcoin, not really people in Cyprus buying more bitcoin.

I think you should see that kind of news more as an "excuse" for anticipating panic buys (which then creates a cascade that has as an effect a sharp increase in price), rather than a true cause.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 02:49:22 PM

So, if given the choice would you keep your money in the Argentina Peso or bitcoins?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 02:59:58 PM

So, if given the choice would you keep your money in the Argentina Peso or bitcoins?

The question is probably not what currency you want to keep your money in, but whether you want to have it in a bank account that could be locked or subjected to a haircut.
Except for the inflation, pesos are probably as good as any money for buying stuff locally (if you happen to live in Argentina). For international business, wealthy people and businesses probably use US Dollars anyway. The problem is that even USD held by Argentinians might be taken away from them to repay (part of) the countries' debt if the bank accounts are accessible to the lenders. With bitcoin, that's not so easy...

Onkel Paul

BitcoinMillionaire

Activity: 168

Bling Bling

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:55:00 PM

Wow, geez that's a sad thing to hear! Imagine you live there! I know, we're all into Bitcoin. But the regular public still doesn't know that much about it! I really feel sorry for all the people over there.

PRIMEDICE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: