Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:09:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet crashed, address and coins missing. [Fixed]  (Read 768 times)
Stinky_Pete (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 11:13:06 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2014, 01:33:50 PM by Stinky_Pete

Help, my wallet got corrupted!

Yesterday I bought some coins from BitBargain.co.uk. Everything went smoothly, so I created a new receiving address in
my wallet on my PC and sent the coins. Then unexpectedly my BitCoin wallet closed. When I reopened it, it was in that
state where it seems completely out-of-date. I have done a -rescan which didn't do much, and a -reindex which looks as if
the wallet is working properly. Some of the labels have gone missing, but more seriously so is my recent purchase.

I have a backup from a few days ago, but it doesn't have the newly created address in it. I see that the transfer is in the
blockchain, and have the TXID but I don't know what to do next. Is there any way of getting my coins back?

BitCoin wallet v0.9.1.0-g026a939-beta (64-bit), Windows 7

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 01:11:06 PM

Some of the labels have gone missing, but more seriously so is my recent purchase.

Is the receiving address visible in your wallet? If not, check the keypool size by running getwalletinfo in the debug console, and assuming the keypool isn't empty, creating a new address should result in the same address you created earlier.

I have done a -rescan which didn't do much, and a -reindex which looks as if
the wallet is working properly.

Have you tried a -rescan after the -reindex?

I have a backup from a few days ago, but it doesn't have the newly created address in it.

If your current wallet is corrupted, try restoring the backup (but of course backup your current wallet first), and then check its keypool size. If its keypool isn't empty, your address should be in it (and should appear when you create a few new receiving addresses).
Stinky_Pete (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 01:33:19 PM

Thanks, panic over. Doing the -rescan again has brought everything back to normal.

Many thanks again.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

trasla

Activity: 707

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 01:33:37 PM

Besides your keypool probably (hopefully) containing the address:
Before usinf an address to receive money, one should always be sure the key to this address is in a backup, either becomes one did a fresh backup, knows for sure the key was in the kerypool, or hast a HD wallet seed in the backup, being able to recreate all keys derived from it.
Stinky_Pete (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 01:35:44 PM

Besides your keypool probably (hopefully) containing the address:
Before usinf an address to receive money, one should always be sure the key to this address is in a backup, either becomes one did a fresh backup, knows for sure the key was in the kerypool, or hast a HD wallet seed in the backup, being able to recreate all keys derived from it.
Yes, I agree. Lesson learned.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: