Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 05:17:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help setting up Antminer S1 & CX500 PSU  (Read 1389 times)
NoahWL1 (OP)

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 04:20:58 AM

So I have just ordered an Antminer S1 from eBay that also came with a Corsair CX500 power supply.  The problem is, I'm not how I'm going to hook this thing up when it comes!  I'm fairly new with working with power supplies (Oh screw it, I've never used one) but don't let that fool you into thinking I'm a newbie.  Everyone has to learn, right?  Plus I pick up on things pretty quickly.  Well, anyways, how do I hook this thing up.  Looking at the specs on the PSU, there seems to be a +12 volt rail with 408 watts, 34 amps and a -12 volt rail with 9.6 watts, 0.8 amps.  I've watched a couple videos and read multiple tutorials, but I'm still not 100% sure how this works.  The S1 is one of the newer ones so it doesn't require splicing the cords at all.  I just need to know what to plug in and where.  By some pictures and another video on the PSU itself, I can see that the cords aren't labeled. besides PCI-e.  So, how do I tell if I'm using the +12 volt cord or the -12 volt cord?  Are these the same things?  Are there 2 of the +12 volt cords and then the -12 volt is just integrated into them?  I know I sound like I shouldn't be anywhere NEAR mining equipment but I just need to learn.  Thanks for all of your help and sorry for the newbie questions!
adaryian

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

★ BitClave pre-ICO: 25/07/17 ★

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 04:35:03 AM

So I have just ordered an Antminer S1 from eBay that also came with a Corsair CX500 power supply.  The problem is, I'm not how I'm going to hook this thing up when it comes!  I'm fairly new with working with power supplies (Oh screw it, I've never used one) but don't let that fool you into thinking I'm a newbie.  Everyone has to learn, right?  Plus I pick up on things pretty quickly.  Well, anyways, how do I hook this thing up.  Looking at the specs on the PSU, there seems to be a +12 volt rail with 408 watts, 34 amps and a -12 volt rail with 9.6 watts, 0.8 amps.  I've watched a couple videos and read multiple tutorials, but I'm still not 100% sure how this works.  The S1 is one of the newer ones so it doesn't require splicing the cords at all.  I just need to know what to plug in and where.  By some pictures and another video on the PSU itself, I can see that the cords aren't labeled. besides PCI-e.  So, how do I tell if I'm using the +12 volt cord or the -12 volt cord?  Are these the same things?  Are there 2 of the +12 volt cords and then the -12 volt is just integrated into them?  I know I sound like I shouldn't be anywhere NEAR mining equipment but I just need to learn.  Thanks for all of your help and sorry for the newbie questions!

You'll need to connect the two PCI-E, 6-pin connectors to it.  If one 6 pin connector has a piggy back, which is another 6-pin connector off of the main rail, then DO NOT use that one.  It WILL make the cable too hot.

What I have done on my miners, is there is a black and green cable typically towards the center of the 24 pin ATX main power cable.  The side with the clip facing you is the side you'd want to look at.  Take a 12-14 gauge wire and strip it.

(Before doing this, please make sure it's not plugged in.)

You'll then strip both ends of the cable and make sure it fits between the black and the green socket and make sure to put electrical tape so that there is no chance that the two will ever touch each other.  There are better ways of doing this, but if done right they achieve the same result.

So you're making a power on loop without having a host machine running it.  If you need pictures, let me know.  I'm getting a new PSU in tomorrow and I could always make a video showing you how to do this if you'd like.

http://www.psychedelicporcupine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011-09-25-20.35.43.jpg is an example, but please.. PLEASE make sure that you insulate and protect it from touching another metal surface as you don't want to start an electrical fire.

If you're looking for a pool to mine at with your new shiny Ant Miners, please take a look at my signature, we're looking for members to join our community and there's a good potential to get great rewards mining with us!

Hope that helped! Smiley

-Adaryian

,'+██':                 
              ,█████████████;             
            .██████████████████           
            .████████████████████         
         █  .███;         ,███████.       
        ██  .█+              '█████'       
      `███  .█+    ,;'':       █████+     
      ████  .█+ ███████████,    ,████+     
     █████  .████████████████,    ████,   
    ██████  .██████████████████   `████   
   ;██████  .█████`      '██████  .█████   
   ████ ██  .███           :████████████. 
  +███  ██  .█.     `..      ████████████ 
  ████  ██  .    .███████'    ███████████`
 ,███   ██      ███████████    ███████████
 ████   ██     █████████████`  `██████████
 ███;  ███    ███████████████   ██████████`
 ███   ███   .████████████████  `█████████'
,███   ███   █████████████████   ██████████
'███  ,███   █████████████████:  ██████████
+███  ;███  `██████████████████  ██████████
████  '███  .██████████████████  +█████████
'███  :███   █████████████████'  ██████████
:███   ███   █████████████████   ██████████
 ███   ███'  '████████████████   ██████████
 ███,  ████   ███████████████`  ██████████,
 ████  ,███:  `█████████████+   ██████████
 ;███   ████   `███████████+   ███████████
  ███'  .████    █████████`   +██████████;
  ████   █████     :███'     +███████████ 
   ████   █████`            ████████████+ 
   ████,   ██████`        +█████. +█████   
    ████    █████████++████████`   ████.   
    .████    ;████████████████    █████   
     '████`    +████████████     █████     
      +████+     `'█████+.     .█████     
       +█████.                ██████       
        ,██████;           .███████       
          █████████':,:;█████████.         
           ,███████████████████+           
             .███████████████;             
                `'████████,               
NoahWL1 (OP)

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 04:39:57 AM

Thanks for your help!  Although I did know that you had to put a wire in that 24 pin connector, it totally slipped my mind that it could start an electrical fire.  I'll be sure to cover the cord with electrical tape.  I will also definitely have a try at your pool.  In fact I'll switch over my 36 gh/s miner over to it right now Smiley
adaryian

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

★ BitClave pre-ICO: 25/07/17 ★

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 04:44:26 AM

Thanks for your help!  Although I did know that you had to put a wire in that 24 pin connector, it totally slipped my mind that it could start an electrical fire.  I'll be sure to cover the cord with electrical tape.  I will also definitely have a try at your pool.  In fact I'll switch over my 36 gh/s miner over to it right now Smiley

Glad I could be of help! Smiley Sounds great buddy! Glad to have you with us! Smiley

,'+██':                 
              ,█████████████;             
            .██████████████████           
            .████████████████████         
         █  .███;         ,███████.       
        ██  .█+              '█████'       
      `███  .█+    ,;'':       █████+     
      ████  .█+ ███████████,    ,████+     
     █████  .████████████████,    ████,   
    ██████  .██████████████████   `████   
   ;██████  .█████`      '██████  .█████   
   ████ ██  .███           :████████████. 
  +███  ██  .█.     `..      ████████████ 
  ████  ██  .    .███████'    ███████████`
 ,███   ██      ███████████    ███████████
 ████   ██     █████████████`  `██████████
 ███;  ███    ███████████████   ██████████`
 ███   ███   .████████████████  `█████████'
,███   ███   █████████████████   ██████████
'███  ,███   █████████████████:  ██████████
+███  ;███  `██████████████████  ██████████
'███  :███   █████████████████'  ██████████
:███   ███   █████████████████   ██████████
 ███   ███'  '████████████████   ██████████
 ███,  ████   ███████████████`  ██████████,
 ████  ,███:  `█████████████+   ██████████
 ;███   ████   `███████████+   ███████████
  ███'  .████    █████████`   +██████████;
  ████   █████     :███'     +███████████ 
   ████   █████`            ████████████+ 
   ████,   ██████`        +█████. +█████   
    ████    █████████++████████`   ████.   
    .████    ;████████████████    █████   
     '████`    +████████████     █████     
      +████+     `'█████+.     .█████     
       +█████.                ██████       
        ,██████;           .███████       
          █████████':,:;█████████.         
           ,███████████████████+           
             .███████████████;             
                `'████████,               
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 12:43:05 PM

You can check out Corsair's website for the paperclip test instructions, complete with pictures of which pins on the ATX connector to use: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cx500-80-plus-bronze-certified-power-supply

Looking at the cabling pictures it is difficult to tell if the PCI-e connectors are two separate, or one cable with two connectors.  I know that the CX600M (the modular one) had a single PCI-e cable from the PSU with 2 PCI-e connectors on it.  I also know that this setup worked absolutely fine with the S1 (I had it running for months with an over clocked S1).

If you don't want to do the paperclip thing... or strip wires and make your own jumpers... there are a number of vendors out there who make connectors.  For example, you can pick one up from here: http://minersource.net/products/psu-jump-starter or you could plunk down the $750 to get 500 of the brand new jump switch from Bitmain: https://www.bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020140731043909819C9CL7qf4064A.  If you do, I'll buy one from you for my HX1050 Smiley

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: