Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:45:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bonds and other economic ideas  (Read 1065 times)
CoinHunter (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 09:52:04 PM

Recently on the SolidCoin forums there was a thread about upcoming ideas for a future version. One of these was the concept of bonds, whereby you forfeit your SolidCoins for X months and get a return of Y at the end of it :-

http://solidcointalk.org/topic/584-discussion-future-solidcoin-ideas/

Are there any economists here that would like to see something similar incorporated into Bitcoin? Or any ideas in general about economic improvements they would like to see in cryptocoins?

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 01:26:28 AM

I wouldn't normally respond to a question like this, but suggest you spend some time reading the "lending" thread.  Bonds already exist in various forms ranging from call deposits to fixed term facilities.  There are also bond offerings on GLBSE.

In cryptocurrency terms, they have been around quite a while.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 03:07:15 AM

I thought that might have been part of the idea, but if you mine a "bond coin" for delayed gratification with a payout x-months down the track, that could be one hell of a monster.  Might be ok for an opt-in solo miner, but for a pool operation?  "Mine for HJK-pool and get paid eventually some coins and more."  Sounds weird.
CoinHunter (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 05:54:22 AM

As far as I understand the SolidCoin idea, they want to give the ability to gain interest on funds you lock away for X months. So perhaps it's 3% if you lock your coins away for 12 months.

SolidCoin doesn't have a max coin potential like Bitcoin, but it's rate of generation depends on the amount of energy mining it. So this bond idea would be another way to give certain businesses a way to guarantee an increase in their SolidCoins which could then be used for more riskier investments. At least that's what I got from it.

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 06:44:41 PM

Bonds are basically loans granted against the productive capacity of an entire economy.  They are called "bonds" for a reason:  they are not voluntary.  Of course I would not want to see anything like that incorporated into Bitcoin.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Haplo

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 08:58:36 PM

As far as I understand the SolidCoin idea, they want to give the ability to gain interest on funds you lock away for X months. So perhaps it's 3% if you lock your coins away for 12 months.

SolidCoin doesn't have a max coin potential like Bitcoin, but it's rate of generation depends on the amount of energy mining it. So this bond idea would be another way to give certain businesses a way to guarantee an increase in their SolidCoins which could then be used for more riskier investments. At least that's what I got from it.

Depends on what they mean by "higher risk". Lenders and investors generally avoid "high risk" investments for a reason. (see: CMBS)

I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: