Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:10:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Relocating Wallet Block Data  (Read 1133 times)
catoboli (OP)

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 11:25:39 PM

How do you make it so that a coin wallet will store the wallet and blockchain info in a new/different location.

i am looking to store them on an external drive as my SSHD is not overly large i want to get some info off of it.

I know this is possible because wallets that ask where to do it like the bitcoin one work just fine running off of an external drive. how can i change this for wallets that don't ask.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!. SqqPHCSJq8vFQt8PcadP1Y8iTxi9qAZWSt

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2014, 08:26:38 AM

How do you make it so that a coin wallet will store the wallet and blockchain info in a new/different location.

i am looking to store them on an external drive as my SSHD is not overly large i want to get some info off of it.

I know this is possible because wallets that ask where to do it like the bitcoin one work just fine running off of an external drive. how can i change this for wallets that don't ask.

I assume you are asking about bitcoin core.

-datadir=path?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin#Command-line_arguments

On the other hand you say stuff like "a coin wallet" and "do it like the bitcoin one" ... meh, maybe you can be more precise.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
catoboli (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 02:15:10 PM

Sorry for my lack of specificity, i hold about 7 different coins and i would like to move all of them not just one so i generalized.

what I'm trying to do is move the file folder that all the qt wallets make that it puts in the %appdata%/application support (depending on if you use mac or windows i use Mac) the folder that contains all the wallet .dat info and blockchain info.

Most walets default to put the info there but some wallets ask the first time you open them the ones hat ask where you want it put it where i want and it works beautifully the other i want to change so they are also on the external drive.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!. SqqPHCSJq8vFQt8PcadP1Y8iTxi9qAZWSt
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2014, 02:56:13 PM

Sorry for my lack of specificity, i hold about 7 different coins and i would like to move all of them not just one so i generalized.

what I'm trying to do is move the file folder that all the qt wallets make that it puts in the %appdata%/application support (depending on if you use mac or windows i use Mac) the folder that contains all the wallet .dat info and blockchain info.

Most walets default to put the info there but some wallets ask the first time you open them the ones hat ask where you want it put it where i want and it works beautifully the other i want to change so they are also on the external drive.

Since most wallets that have qt at the end are a modified version of bitcoin-qt my above solution should work. So youd start each client with -datadir=d:\coindata\bitcoin
-datadir=d:\coindata\altcoin1

etc.

catoboli (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 04:26:31 PM

Im still learning a lot of this. how do i start the application while implementing the -datadir function

catoboli (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 05:13:44 PM

im familiar with terminal a bit, i use it to overlock and a few other things but by no means am i proficient yet

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2014, 05:18:03 PM

im familiar with terminal a bit, i use it to overlock and a few other things but by no means am i proficient yet

well terminal would be just to naviagte into the directory with cd ..
and run with bitcoin-qt.exe -datadir=d:\bitcoin
etc.

Im currently checking how to edit the shortcut (at least for bitcoin), but the other machine needs updates and is a bit slow etc. Wink

Edit: aaah just realized you use Mac...  well the Win7 machine is up to date now Wink

Edit2: Not sure how to change it there, its called 'alias' AFAIK. The external HDD would be under /Volumes/NameOfHDD so you need to change the alias that is currently running each QT and add -datadir=/Volumes/NameOfHDD/NameOfCoin/ behind it.

catoboli (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 05:45:10 PM

I actually use both, i prefer to do things through my mac, however i do have 2 win 8 rigs i could piggyback off of for wallet, and i also run win 8.1 pro on my mac through parallels. the amount of stuff my mac runs and isn't even bogged down a bit is very impressive.

i will try creating the alias. so it will be like a modified shortcut correct?

catoboli (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 06:17:56 PM

When u say behind it what do you mean?

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2014, 08:12:29 PM

-snip-
i will try creating the alias. so it will be like a modified shortcut correct?

Yes

When u say behind it what do you mean?

Well Mac is not my cup of tea. I usually can do what I want with it when Im in front of it, but its more a trial and error Wink

With Win a shortcut would be like this (note: random picture from the web)

But since most of your wallets would be installed in Program Files which has a space there are quotationmarks around the path.

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe"

So for bitcoin-qt and Win (at least 7) youd have to change this to:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe" -datadir=d:\bitcoin

behind the normal path and file and after the ending quotationmark.

With Mac this should work similarly, only that your path would be different and that mac is not using .exe files.

catoboli (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 08:57:45 PM

How do get to a spot where i can even edit that?

BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 10:21:17 PM

Right-click on the shortcut you want to edit then left-click "properties".

catoboli (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 10:39:48 PM

How do i do it on my mac. that works for windows.

catoboli (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 11:03:52 PM

I just did this on the windows side of my computer for a new coin (signature coin) that dosent have a mac wallet yet and it was soon freeking easy, lol. Your tips for that were spot on.

id still prefer to maintain this all through my mac. how can i get the -datadir= function into an alias on a mac.

BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 12:34:52 AM

How do i do it on my mac. that works for windows.
From what I've found the easiest way is to create a script.  Open terminal and type:
Code:
nano bitcoin.command
then add the code
Code:
#! /bin/bash
open /path/to/BitcoinCore.app -datadir=/path/to/new/directory
Hit control+x, then y, then return. (Exit, save file, confirm filename)
Run
Code:
chmod 711 bitcoin.command

Now you can run Bitcoin Core with the datadir option by double clicking on the bitcoin.command file.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: