Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:51:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-08-02] Xapo: Easy Bitcoin Wallet and Secure Vault with a Convenient Debit  (Read 4653 times)
ganabb (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 02:49:04 AM

http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/news/xapo-easy-bitcoin-wallet-secure-vault-convenient-debit-card-finally-released/2014/07/31

We have all been waiting and waiting for Xapo’s Bitcoin Debit Card and according to Ted Rodgers, the Chief Strategy Officer at Xapo, our wait will soon be coming to an end. In fact, the first shipment of debit cards went out on July 29, 2014, so many of those who pre-ordered, should check their mailboxes this afternoon.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 05:13:42 AM

Anyone receive their card yet?
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 05:20:35 AM

Don't hold your breath if located in USA.

https://www.bitcoinregime.com/2014/08/01/xapos-debit-card-is-non-us-only-kind-of-disappointing-given-the-hype/
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 05:27:12 AM

The fee structure is not quite competitive though...
http://help.xapo.com/95219-What-fees-are-associated-with-the-Xapo-Debit-Card

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 06:41:30 PM

Warning: http://help.xapo.com/95219-What-fees-are-associated-with-the-Xapo-Debit-Card

looks like classic bait and switch. None of these fees were announced when we signed up initially.

seriouscoin

Merit: 500

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 09:41:20 PM

The fee structure is not quite competitive though...
http://help.xapo.com/95219-What-fees-are-associated-with-the-Xapo-Debit-Card

Well not great but not bad considering all the prepaid CC/Debit are pretty much the same or even worse

So if you dont withdraw cash but only use at POS, then the only fee is the monthly fee of $5.

Other prepaid CC/Debit that i've seen charge a fee for "loading" fund.

seriouscoin

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 09:42:49 PM

Warning: http://help.xapo.com/95219-What-fees-are-associated-with-the-Xapo-Debit-Card

looks like classic bait and switch. None of these fees were announced when we signed up initially.

You're dumb to assume there wouldnt be an admistration fee. They're using Visa network, you think its free?

Stupid fck should stfu.
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 09:47:26 PM

You're dumb to assume there wouldnt be an admistration fee. They're using Visa network, you think its free?

Stupid fck should stfu.

Well they kinda announced that the card will have no fees for users, only for merchant and now it is not the case anymore. There is something to be pissed here.

inBitweTrust

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 09:49:43 PM

Stupid fck should stfu.

I don't immediately distrust someone until they have proven otherwise. For many months they were saying the exact opposite:

1) https://web.archive.org/web/20140723000048/http://help.xapo.com/
Shows that no page was shown in regards to additional fees as there was no link associated with question.

2) https://web.archive.org/web/20140708113128/http://help.xapo.com/categories/5988-Debit-Card/questions

How much does the Xapo Debit Card cost?

After paying a $15 fee to order the Xapo Debit Card, it is entirely free to use. The $15 fee covers the cost of the card, shipping, and other expenses.

Does the Xapo Debit Card carry any additional fees?
No. After the initial $15 fee for the physical card and shipping, merchants will pay all fees just as they do for debit and card cards but there won’t be a fee for the customer.

seriouscoin

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 09:51:15 PM

Stupid fck should stfu.

Well they kinda announced that the card will have no fees for users, only for merchant and now it is not the case anymore. There is something to be pissed here.

I knew right of the bat that "no fee"/"free" here mean the cost of the requesting the card itself. They're fcking using either MC or Visa network, and its not free.

Maybe because i'm working in real life and dealt with banking/payment network?

I only see ppl who live in their moms basement would be pissed.

The fee structure IS better than ANY prepaid card out there.
seriouscoin

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 09:54:00 PM

Stupid fck should stfu.

I don't immediately distrust someone until they have proven otherwise. For many months they were saying the exact opposite:

1) https://web.archive.org/web/20140723000048/http://help.xapo.com/
Shows that no page was shown in regards to additional fees as there was no link associated with question.

2) https://web.archive.org/web/20140708113128/http://help.xapo.com/categories/5988-Debit-Card/questions

How much does the Xapo Debit Card cost?

After paying a $15 fee to order the Xapo Debit Card, it is entirely free to use. The $15 fee covers the cost of the card, shipping, and other expenses.

No. After the initial $15 fee for the physical card and shipping, merchants will pay all fees just as they do for debit and card cards but there won’t be a fee for the customer.

Which is completely true. They dont charge fee for spending tx. Only fees are for withdrawing cash (same with every CC card), and administrating the account ( which you can do online for free, why the fck you use ATM for admin? ). These fees are required by Visa.
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 09:58:02 PM

Well go use it if you want. Fact is, my actual debit card is much cheaper to use so meh. Also, a monthly fee is not what I call "free to use".

seriouscoin

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 10:04:19 PM

Well go use it if you want. Fact is, my actual debit card is much cheaper to use so meh. Also, a monthly fee is not what I call "free to use".

LOL you think banking is free? You should have reality check.

Unless you're a student, you're required to have a minimum fund in your accnt to have X amount of free tx on your Debitcard. Otherwise the service fee is alot higher than $5.

Have a good life kiddo.
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 10:10:44 PM

Unless you're a student, you're required to have a minimum fund in your accnt to have X amount of free tx on your Debitcard. Otherwise the service fee is alot higher than $5.

Have a good life kiddo.

Thanks but I know exactly how much I pay for my debit card. If they can't get their fees more competitive than the competition, well that's too bad, their product is not interesting as I can use cheaper means to spend my bitcoins AND my fiat. Unless you're being paid in bitcoins, I don't see the advantages to use this and it won't help bitcoin adoption that's for sure.

inBitweTrust

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 11:15:25 PM

All of my banks don't have monthly fees and have lower transaction fees  and some of them are brick and mortar. This is quite pathetic that an Internet bitcoin bank without physical locations has higher fees than many traditional banks.

I don't care what xapo charges .... I care how they wasted my time and with lies and an unprofessional roll out.  
You must have a really warped mind if you interpret monthly fee, intl fee, ect... to not fall under the "additional fees" category.

They don't claim no additional fees for usage... they say no additional fees outside the 15 usd shipping.  

Seems very clear to me..... if you are misinterpreting this you have a serious reading comprehension problem.

seriouscoin

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 11:21:03 PM

Have a good life kiddo.

Thanks but I know exactly how much I pay for my debit card. If they can't get their fees more competitive than the competition, well that's too bad, their product is not interesting as I can use cheaper means to spend my bitcoins AND my fiat. Unless you're being paid in bitcoins, I don't see the advantages to use this and it won't help bitcoin adoption that's for sure.

Are you freaking this dense?

The advantage is that you dont carry bitcoin wallet around, and completely use traditional banking network to spend your bitcoins.
Ofcourse it will help bitcoin adoption. It effectively makes every merchants accept btc, compared to merchant gateway like bitpay or coinbase, you dont have to persuade merchants to sign up.

What a shame for a "hero member" to say such nonsense.
seriouscoin

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 11:23:54 PM

All of my banks don't have monthly fees and have lower transaction fees  and some of them are brick and mortar. This is quite pathetic that an Internet bitcoin bank without physical locations has higher fees than many traditional banks.

I don't care what xapo charges .... I care how they wasted my time and with lies and an unprofessional roll out.  
You must have a really warped mind if you interpret monthly fee, intl fee, ect... to not fall under the "additional fees" category.

They don't claim no additional fees for usage... they say no additional fees outside the 15 usd shipping.  

Seems very clear to me..... if you are misinterpreting this you have a serious reading comprehension problem.

hey dumbass, there is no fees for using your card at POS.

While your bank counts EVERY TXs  regardless if you use their ATM or POS.

What a typical ignorance that banking is free because of no monthly fee.

inBitweTrust

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 11:28:43 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2014, 11:41:43 PM by inBitweTrust

hey dumbass, there is no fees for using your card at POS.

While your bank counts EVERY TXs  regardless if you use their ATM or POS.

What a typical ignorance that banking is free because of no monthly fee.

Did I ever make a claim that Xapo promised there would be no usage fees alone?

Where in the sentence below does it talk solely about usage fees?---

Where in their answer do they only talk about usage fees:

So what you are trying to tell me is you don't consider Int tx fees, monthly fees, debit fees , ect... to be categorically classified as "Additional Fees"?

Where in their previous literature did they mention monthly fees when such a fee is unusual for an internet only bank?

Most of us didn't expect those fees because when dealing with internet banks, let alone btc ones, we don't pay most of those fees and in many cases have interest bearing checking accounts.

You are either really illogical or a shill.

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 05:00:48 AM

Have a good life kiddo.

Are you freaking this dense?

The advantage is that you dont carry bitcoin wallet around, and completely use traditional banking network to spend your bitcoins.
Ofcourse it will help bitcoin adoption. It effectively makes every merchants accept btc, compared to merchant gateway like bitpay or coinbase, you dont have to persuade merchants to sign up.

What a shame for a "hero member" to say such nonsense.

The target market for Xapo is people/businesses having ONLY bitcoins revenue and believe me that market doesn't exist yet beside some SR drug dealers. At this point, they should gives incentives to build a user base and bring new participants. They are doing it the wrong way as nobody will be willing to pay more to spend their fiat and/or bitcoins when we all have cheaper means unless bitcoin is your only source of revenue.

Giulio Prisco

Activity: 173
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 10:51:21 AM

Very interesting. A bit too expensive in my opinion, so I won't apply for one. However, I think a Bitcoin debit card is a killer app, because it permits spending your Bitcoins easily at the pub, McDonalds or the grocery store down the street, and that's what Bitcoin needs to go mainstream. I am sure after Xapo there will be other, cheaper Bitcoin debit cards.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: