Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:03:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin under threat?  (Read 1142 times)
MagicalTux (OP)
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 11:02:17 AM

Let me use a provocative title too.

I would like to discuss the recent DDoS event, and what can be done to protect against those. MtGox being a rather large exchange site, we could switch rather quickly to a different hosting provider with DDoS protections and keep the site running while packets were flying furiously outside the fence, however it is not the case of everyone.

I've been thinking about various options and will propose various solutions based on the situation.

Web hosting with KalyHost

Since we now have a DDoS proof dedicated server, I could host more sites there. Each site would get its own ip, ability to have SSL, and be "ddos protected" by Black Lotus. This is a bit costly, but much less than the standard offer, and could be negociated on yearly basis for various sites.

If your exchange site is interested please contact me ( support@kalyhost.com ) so we can discuss this and find a solution.

In long term we need to avoid this as it makes one infrastructure an ideal target to get many sites down, however it might be good enough for smaller sites to grow without having to worry about ddos.

Decentralized exchange

This would be obviously the ideal solution. We have started thinking about this here, and we'll include a something with QBitcoin. More details soon.

Inter-exchange system

This is a bit like the previous "decentralized exchange", but different. Basically this would involve to make not users but exchange sites peer-to-peer. Then even if one of the exchange sites goes down, things can still work (a bit like real exchange works in the world). I discussed this with some other exchange sites and it could be a solution too (after more talks).

More ideas are welcome, let's make the bitcoin economy solid enough to not freeze in front of a russian asking $5000!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: