Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:08:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do other blockchain implementations affect Bitcoin?  (Read 947 times)
panda9228 (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 08:05:54 PM

I know that the blockchain technology which is the backbone of Bitcoin has lots of other applications.  For example, it could potentially be used by companies to issue shares of stock, or for two individuals to construct a public contract.

My question, and I realize this probably requires speculation, is as follows:  If this type of behavior caught on, would it provide support to the bitcoin network/currency?  Since the bitcoin blockchain is by far the biggest/strongest/(most stable?) does it make sense for these contracts to exists on the same blockchain somehow?  Or would they simply exist as completely separate entities, using the same technology (the blockchain concept)?

I am both an investor and an enthusiast.  When I explain bitcoin to friends/family, I cite the "alternate blockchain usage" as a potential support for bitcoin as a currency.  But I am unsure if this make sense in theory.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goozman96

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 03:36:33 AM

Interesting question. My guess would be that the blockchain is simply a tool bitcoin uses for transactions, the same way any other application could use the blockchain (contracts, etc). If those alternative usages increased, I don't think it would have any impact on the bitcoin network. I could be totally wrong though.

BTC: 19DKtsdGfQyFzNiEze9KuFQrWGiLDvg6F1 | LTC: LbV6UGyjYbVP49NvQFmuAnkADcaFYvNagK | NMC: NDCdMJmTmGH54Cezmo3CwSxAC7grAoZJbj
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 05:30:35 AM

I don't think it is a good idea. If too much other information fit into the block chain, the block chain will increase a lot as a results that syc the bockchain tooks ages.
goozman96

Activity: 728

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:51:23 AM

I wonder if there are potential ways to shrink the size of the block chain without reducing the data capacity - such as a superior compressing algorithm a la 7zip, etc. Just throwing ideas out there Huh

BTC: 19DKtsdGfQyFzNiEze9KuFQrWGiLDvg6F1 | LTC: LbV6UGyjYbVP49NvQFmuAnkADcaFYvNagK | NMC: NDCdMJmTmGH54Cezmo3CwSxAC7grAoZJbj
The00Dustin

Activity: 807

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 11:39:15 AM

If separate blockchains were set up to implement such things, and those blockchains used the same mining algorithm, it could be possible for the entities providing work on those chains couldn't merged-mine bitcoin, so it could theoretically add some additional support for the bitcoin blockchain in that way.  The separate blockchains could also piggyback on the bitcoin blockchain so the additional bitcoin mining would then be part of the setup from the get-go.  I'm not sure whether or not there would be a benefit for the new blockchain in the latter configuration, but since I've heard of other chains doing this before, it leads me to think there may be.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: