Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:08:58 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Safer Cold Storage: Trezor vs. Armory ??  (Read 2537 times)
CoinRocka (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 10:59:50 PM

I feel pretty good about my Armory setup right now.  Also purchased the trezor today.

What to do?
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 11:03:07 PM

Why cant you use both?

I personally like Armory better. Trezor requires you to connect thro their website (base on the video i saw).
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 11:07:00 PM

I use armory, feels really safe. It is also very safe.

I'm not sure about Trezor... Never used it before.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 11:13:50 PM

trezor works if you usb attach it to onine pc and, yep you guessed it. its not a standalone executable it talks to, but a browser plug-in...........

... boggles the mind what they spent the 2 years trying to achieve

simplistic view of what i can see so far, trezor like those bank accounts that require you to login via a keyfob.. yet the keyfob needs to be usb connected to the PC aswell

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 01:07:03 AM

trezor works if you usb attach it to onine pc and, yep you guessed it. its not a standalone executable it talks to, but a browser plug-in...........

simplistic view of what i can see so far, trezor like those bank accounts that require you to login via a keyfob.. yet the keyfob needs to be usb connected to the PC aswell
The poster I have quoted above does not understand how trezor works (and will work). Google is your friend.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:21:45 AM

I haven't used Armory before, but I am looking for another wallet to use.   Was thinking about giving it a go.   I also want to get one of those Trezors when they become available to the public (I didn't get in on the early purchase)
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 01:47:12 AM
Last edit: August 03, 2014, 01:57:55 AM by slush

Trezor does not rely on any website. It is device for safely storing bitcoins and signing bitcoin transactions. Currently we do offer myTREZOR as our custom web wallet which aims to common users and is very easy to use, however myTREZOR is just a graphical interface to Trezor and because all security is solved internally by Trezor (e.g. private keys never leave Trezor), using website has no security implications.

Trezor works with other wallets as well. Right now there's experimental support in Electrum and Armory is preparing Trezor integration, too.

pissedoff

Activity: 616

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:48:44 AM

Where does Trezor ship to is it international shipping?
slush
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 01:53:37 AM

Although we've been behind schedule, it was not 2 years.

Then, Trezor is ultra secure bitcoin wallet which can be used by your mom. It package best security practices to small box, so user don't need to understand anything, it just works. There is not any other solution like it yet. We also developed some special ways how to improve security even more, for example our PIN protection cannot be sniffed by keyloggers: http://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-user/enteringyourpin.html

slush
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 01:54:23 AM

Where does Trezor ship to is it international shipping?

Worldwide shipping is for free. We're located in Prague, EU.

aerobatic

Activity: 702

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 03:49:43 PM

I feel pretty good about my Armory setup right now.  Also purchased the trezor today.

What to do?

Im using both Armory and Trezor in harmony.

Trezor is MUCH easier to use - their web wallet hides the geeky stuff from you.  You just send or receive coins.  You dont have exposure to the fine control of which address youre sending from or any superfluous details... but I think for the average person the Trezor is a simple, safe and secure wallet (thats very easy to use).  I'd give my mum & dad a Trezor (in fact, i did indeed buy a few recently to give as gifts).

Armory is really a power users' wallet.  Its complicated to use but really powerful.  (and alas it is also quite unusable on mac) - as the reliance on QT has made Armory unstable and buggy imho.  It crashes for me if left running for a few hours.  Ive been patient and reported a few things but they dont seem capable of fixing to a high stability level so i feel the right thing (for me) is to migrate to Trezor slowly and gradually as my trust in it increases.   Also, i like the frequency of their firmware updates.  Makes me feel like theyre constantly improving it (but the first version was already excellent).

-- Jez
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 04:06:19 PM

I would recommend Trezor for people who haven't a particular experience with bitcoins and cryptos in general, it's a perfect gift for friends or parents if you want to introduce them in the virtual currencies.
aerobatic

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 04:10:35 PM

I would recommend Trezor for people who haven't a particular experience with bitcoins and cryptos in general, it's a perfect gift for friends or parents if you want to introduce them in the virtual currencies.

i agree, but i think the way you've worded it, makes it sound like its not good for people who have experience of bitcoin and cryptos... whereas i think it will also appeal to those people too, as long as you know that its simple and safe to use, that may be the kind wallet that people can trust, regardless of their experience level.  i.e.: it does its job very efficiently and is easy to use.  most of the time you don't really need to know which bitcoin address your bitcoins are stored in... as long as the wallet can send and receive, and shows you the total, do you need to know which internal addresses are used?
michaelwang33

Activity: 574

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 04:14:34 PM

I don't think people just getting into crypto currencies should be dealing with enough bitcoin so they need cold storage until they get more comfortable with it. I think cold storage in General is very advanced and someone just getting into bitcoin has a greater chance of messing something up when dealing with cold storage - mainly not paying close enough attention to detail and sending coins to an incorrect address to destroying the private keys to an address that they need to keep.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
aerobatic

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 04:30:36 PM

I don't think people just getting into crypto currencies should be dealing with enough bitcoin so they need cold storage until they get more comfortable with it. I think cold storage in General is very advanced and someone just getting into bitcoin has a greater chance of messing something up when dealing with cold storage - mainly not paying close enough attention to detail and sending coins to an incorrect address to destroying the private keys to an address that they need to keep.

not arguing about whether you're right or not about that point, but wanted to illustrate that with the trezor you don't come into much contact with the bitcoin addresses.  managing your bitcoins is done for you by the mytrezor web app.  it doesn't expose which bitcoin addresses are holding your bitcoins so as you send and receive coins, it creates new addresses to hold them and the change and this is all done for you without exposing you to where they are, so this may in fact make it easier for the average person to use it - one less detail to worry about.
BowieMan

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:52:09 PM

What to do?

Difficult to tell which is safer. Has Trezor completed an completely open audit, yet? Armory is well tested, I guess and also around for quite some time now. Trezor is quite new and there may still be some caveats we haven't discovered yet. So it may be best to do your long-term storage in some way that's proven to be safe.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: