Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 07:12:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is pgp really that safe?  (Read 845 times)
bigasic (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 02:58:11 PM

Ever since DPR was arrested, I was wondering how they were able to get into his encrypted stuff. The logical theory is that they were watching him and were able to install a keylogger, if not, they definitely have a back door into pgp and other encryption methods. Or, when they arrested him, he had every thing open, but that doesn't make too much sense. I've always thought that the government must have some way to break into pgp.. I hope im wrong, but they sure did get into his encrypted files quickly..
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 03:02:23 PM

PGP is an open standard.  The algorithms used are well known and used in other applications all over the world including SSL.  So if you assume that the NSA has compromised PGP you also have to assume it has compromised SSL used by every country on earth even for governmental sites.  Then you would need to assume either the entire combined human intellect of the entire rest of the world is incapable of finding this flaw OR every other government on the planet is willing to continue using compromised encryption knowing the US government can record everything they do.

Does that seem likely?

bigasic (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 03:04:40 PM

i agree, I think they were watching him for months before the arrest and had a keylogger on his computer.. That makes the most sense. Because it did take them a few weeks to control his 144k coins.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 03:07:10 PM
Last edit: August 03, 2014, 05:36:36 PM by DeathAndTaxes

I would also add this here:

Strong cryptography is really strong.  It is "use more energy than available in our sun and not make a dent in it" strong.  It is however possible to go around the crypto.

One report indicated they seized his laptop while he was logged in and before the could shut it down.  It is possible all the content they got was what was decrypted and what remained encrypted will forever remain encrypted.   Another possibility is they just kept hitting him with a $5 wrench until he gave the passphrase.
bigasic (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 05:46:29 PM

I would also add this here:

Strong cryptography is really strong.  It is "use more energy than available in our sun and not make a dent in it" strong.  It is however possible to go around the crypto.

One report indicated they seized his laptop while he was logged in and before the could shut it down.  It is possible all the content they got was what was decrypted and what remained encrypted will forever remain encrypted.   Another possibility is they just kept hitting him with a $5 wrench until he gave the passphrase.

Yea, from what I read, an FBI female agent went into the library and acted all crazy, she picked up his laptop singing and dancing, as soon as he said "hey, give that back" they swooped in. So, no telling what was unencrypted, but I wouldn't think that EVERYTHING was open. He had to have special files that weren't open. But then again, he wasn't expecting them to grab his laptop the way they did..
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:06:52 PM

So, no telling what was unencrypted, but I wouldn't think that EVERYTHING was open. He had to have special files that weren't open. But then again, he wasn't expecting them to grab his laptop the way they did.

Maybe everything wasn't decrypted.  What makes you think they have decrypted every single encrypted byte from his laptop?  My point is maybe what they have is what they got and they didn't get anything else.
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 08:17:16 PM

Ever since DPR was arrested, I was wondering how they were able to get into his encrypted stuff. The logical theory is that they were watching him and were able to install a keylogger, if not, they definitely have a back door into pgp and other encryption methods. Or, when they arrested him, he had every thing open, but that doesn't make too much sense. I've always thought that the government must have some way to break into pgp.. I hope im wrong, but they sure did get into his encrypted files quickly..

I thought he was caught in a public library with the laptop unlocked and with everything unencrypted. Maybe his personal stash of 144k bitcoin was/is encrypted and safe, but the rest was in plain sight...sadly.

Having a keylogger on his computer seems very unlikely.

bigasic (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 09:42:57 PM

I thought he was caught in a public library with the laptop unlocked and with everything unencrypted. Maybe his personal stash of 144k bitcoin was/is encrypted and safe, but the rest was in plain sight...sadly.

Having a keylogger on his computer seems very unlikely.

If you look at the time line, its pretty obvious that they knew who he was from about April onward. The FBI are pros at going into homes and collecting evidence, placing bugs, messing with computers, etc. They even bring their own dust to replace the dust that they unsettle. They will even close the street, saying there is a water main broke, in order to buy time. (there is a great documentary out there that shows a lot of their technics from retired agents)

To me, it just makes sense that they put keyloggers on his computer, or at least were able to look at all the transmissions via the wireless modem. Or he had everything open while his computer was on and open..
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 09:49:31 PM

^ i don't even understand why he even had his keys laying around. if it were me, i'd be paranoid and i would only check my public key. i'd probably create a paper wallet and memorize the string of words, so that there's no way they could take my coins if caught. if you have access to $50 million dollars in your head, it might give you more of a bargaining chip.. unless they try to torture the money out of you.

i'd say having 2 wallets is a good idea. if u get tortured, give them access to 1 wallet and hope for the best.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: