Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:49:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many Bitcoins needed to retire in 5-6 years?  (Read 13945 times)
atc1

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 10:30:33 PM

Much more than you have now. The price is stuck and the exponential increase last year's end was a bubble that ha snot replicated itself recently and the consequent banning  of exchanges in various countries and the subsequent loss of interest and mass-selling that came with it obviously didn't help.

Price growth goes in hand with the exponential growth of the usefullness of the network, i.e. increasing number of people using it. There is a clear trend showing that the adoption is taking place.

You can sure argue that BTC will no grow exponentionally or even fail, but if the fundamentals look right, then the price is only the result of the underlying function!

I'm not at all implying that bitcoin will fail,rather I'm merely informing about the current trend that has been on for that past few months. You can't simply quit your day job at this juncture because you assume it will be enough to last you into the future.

Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 10:35:57 PM

Much more than you have now. The price is stuck and the exponential increase last year's end was a bubble that ha snot replicated itself recently and the consequent banning  of exchanges in various countries and the subsequent loss of interest and mass-selling that came with it obviously didn't help.

Price growth goes in hand with the exponential growth of the usefullness of the network, i.e. increasing number of people using it. There is a clear trend showing that the adoption is taking place.

You can sure argue that BTC will no grow exponentionally or even fail, but if the fundamentals look right, then the price is only the result of the underlying function!

I'm not at all implying that bitcoin will fail,rather I'm merely informing about the current trend that has been on for that past few months. You can't simply quit your day job at this juncture because you assume it will be enough to last you into the future.

Oh, know I get it.

The thread is really implying that in 5-6 years you just sell your BTC and live of that. (That is how I interpreted it).

atc1

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 10:40:26 PM

Oh, know I get it.

The thread is really implying that in 5-6 years you just sell your BTC and live of that. (That is how I interpreted it).

Well,that is what I have assumed as well. But as of now,that is not possible so don't even think for a moment of quitting the cash ecosystem. Bitcoin acceptance is rather low among the general populace and more so among establishments where you buy all of your household needs and the like.

harles9

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 10:50:11 PM

To retire comfortable, honestly, I would say 1,000BTC.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 11:00:24 PM

Every investment will collapse. Your gold will be confiscated. Your land will be heavily taxed. Hyper-inflation will make your fiat worthless. Nothing is safe, until Bitcoin. Save what you can, never spend more than you need. Retire now and live as cheaply as you can and enjoy life.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 11:02:44 PM

Every investment will collapse. Your gold will be confiscated. Your land will be heavily taxed. Hyper-inflation will make your fiat worthless. Nothing is safe, until Bitcoin. Save what you can, never spend more than you need. Retire now and live as cheaply as you can and enjoy life.

Problem for most is, that they can't retire with the amount they have now.

Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3850

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 11:10:40 PM

instead of retiring, people are downshifting these days, and I think that this is healthier and better for most people on non-physical jobs. Studies on college professors had shown that those who got part time positions in the same school after semi-retirement were much happier (happier even than before down-shifting).
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 11:13:00 PM

instead of retiring, people are downshifting these days, and I think that this is healthier and better for most people on non-physical jobs. Studies on college professors had shown that those who got part time positions in the same school after semi-retirement were much happier (happier even than before down-shifting).

Yes, I have to agree with that.

My life goal is to not HAVE to work, but be ABLE to work and not needing the income of it.

Dependency on anything is a B I T C H

Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 11:41:45 PM

There are 12 million $Millionaires. ( not enough Bitcoins for everyone to hold 2.1 BTC )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millionaire

The World Wealth Report 2013 found the World’s High Net Worth (HNW) population growing to 12 million with their assets expected to rise to $55.8 trillion by 2015.[16]
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1709

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:25:15 AM

I am surprised everybody here thinks BTC will be worth $5,000 in 5 years?

My prediction is that it might be worth around $1,000 IF IT survives and $0 if it crashes due to some hack or theft. Its a very risky commodity.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:26:39 AM

My prediction is that it might be worth around $1,000 IF IT survives and $0 if it crashes due to some hack or theft. Its a very risky commodity.
That's what they said about BRK.A

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 12:26:54 AM

The thing is, if it survives the price is bound to rise. And i say that with an "IF"

Wary

Activity: 798

Who's there?

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:30:47 AM
Last edit: August 05, 2014, 02:06:12 AM by Wary

2014 + 6 = 2020. If 10x/year trend continues, by that time the bitcoin will complete it's exponential phase. It'll reach or almost reach it's limit and it's total purchasing parity will slowly grow with the growth of world GDP (which is about 7% annually, on average). The number of bitcoins will grow with rate about of 4%, and after the halving of 2021, - 2% per year.

So, your bitcoin's capital purchasing parity will grow, on average, 7%-2% = 5% per year. For this 5% worth 30K$, your whole bitcoin capital must be worth (in today's purchasing parity) 600K$.

How much will bitcoin cost in 6 years? Optimistic scenarios vary from 100K$ to 1M$ (pessimistic - zero  Wink). Therefore to retire in 6 years time with equvalent of today's 30K$ annuall income you will need capital of 0.6 - 6 btc.

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:34:18 AM

Lol. Its not a commodity. And its going to be worth much more than $1000 in 5 years. Thats almost laughable.
Wary

Who's there?

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:50:06 AM

Lol. Its not a commodity. And its going to be worth much more than $1000 in 5 years. Thats almost laughable.
Such estimates are signs of capitulations, i.e. bullish  Grin

TwinWinNerD
Legendary

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 01:54:56 AM

Such estimates are signs of capitulations, i.e. bullish  Grin

Your nickname is awesome Wink

Most people can only see black or white. If there is no place for something in their worldview, then they will completely ANTI. Sad but true.

Those guys are mostly religeous too... figuers Wink

martinw79

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 02:06:56 AM

To retire in 5 years I'd have at least 25BTC tucked away in cold storage.

Who's there?

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 02:08:45 AM

Your nickname is awesome Wink
Thanks  Smiley

chunglam
Donator

Activity: 229
Merit: 106

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 02:41:07 AM

1000BTC is enough even for now, 5% withdrawal rate give you 30k yearly expense. 5% yearly appreciation rate for Bitcoin is very conservative. In 5-6 years, I think we only need 100BTC.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 03:24:14 AM

1000BTC is enough even for now, 5% withdrawal rate give you 30k yearly expense. 5% yearly appreciation rate for Bitcoin is very conservative. In 5-6 years, I think we only need 100BTC.

Implying a 6k USD BTC price, which seems incredibly low in 5 years' time.  In one year's time, I could see that, after a single bubble crash.  I think 2 more bubbles in 5 years is a minimum, with a 15k BTC being the least result which can be reasonably envisioned, so 30 BTC should do the trick, if you don't need to travel, and your medicall is socialized.  4 bubbles is more likely, so 10 BTC is probably going to be adequate to that scenario.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: