Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:52:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the biggest problem in crypto currencies?  (Read 6738 times)
ForgottenPassword

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 10:17:09 PM

you dont throw someone that has never swam before, into the deep end and tell him its in his best interest to hold his breath.

instead you find the easiest way just to get him to try it, even if he aint going to use the pool ever again. atleast letting him get his toes wet he will see how easy it is to say "yes customer heres a QR code". once they have got their toes wet, then you introduce them to the art of swimming, diving in head first, or somersaulting into the deep end (investing).

another analogy
dont throw 5 eggs at him at once or he will just defend himself and the eggs will just hurt him and break. instead gently hand him one egg and and then a second egg.

I'm sure if you ask most merchants who accept BTC most of them are unaware how easy it is for them to accept payments directly without a payment processor and also unaware of the benefits of doing so. This is my experience anyway.

And how much more difficult is it to integrate a wallet rather than an API? In reality not a whole lot.
Why don't we focus our energy on making it easier for merchants to accept bitcoin directly rather than preaching to them to use BitPay/Coinbase?

All we need is for Coinbase/Bitpay to get hacked or run away with the coins and it's game over, most of these merchants will never touch bitcoin again. And lets not forget that fairly serious issues were found in the coinbase website during the last vulnerability bounty programme. If this keeps up it'll end badly. It's already showing signs of bad things ahead with the recent Coinbase AML requirements. Coinbase IS the PayPal of bitcoin currently and there should not be a PayPal of bitcoin as bitcoin makes PayPal obsolete.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4479

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 10:29:35 PM

I'm sure if you ask most merchants who accept BTC most of them are unaware how easy it is for them to accept payments directly without a payment processor and also unaware of the benefits of doing so. This is my experience anyway.

And how much more difficult is it to integrate a wallet rather than an API? In reality not a whole lot.
Why don't we focus our energy on making it easier for merchants to accept bitcoin directly rather than preaching to them to use BitPay/Coinbase?

All we need is for Coinbase/Bitpay to get hacked or run away with the coins and it's game over, most of these merchants will never touch bitcoin again. And lets not forget that fairly serious issues were found in the coinbase website during the last vulnerability bounty programme. If this keeps up it'll end badly. It's already showing signs of bad things ahead with the recent Coinbase AML requirements. Coinbase IS the PayPal of bitcoin currently and there should not be a PayPal of bitcoin as bitcoin makes PayPal obsolete.

for me, merchant acceptance happens in 3 stages
1. show them the bitpay 1% fee method, where they simply get FIAT next day in their account simply by showing a QR code. then leave them for a while to have received a couple customers and seen how easy it is to accept bitcoins
2. show them how they can use their own addresses instead and cash out elsewhere, thus saving the 1% fee, and subtly explaining that they could hoard as an investment. and mention to them a few more details about bitcoins potential
3. if they show interest in hoarding coins then simply say "well dont cash out as much then" and then go into alot more detail about bitcoin

you simply DO NOT run at a FIAT merchant full speed throwing every bitcoin benefit and detail and techno babble at them before then have ever tried it. you also do not go into your first contact with a merchant with the mindset that they will be 100% investors at the first transaction.

its called being subtle, being smart and patient.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
ForgottenPassword

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 10:50:11 PM

1. show them the bitpay 1% fee method, where they simply get FIAT next day in their account simply by showing a QR code. then leave them for a while to have received a couple customers and seen how easy it is to accept bitcoins

They never accepted bitcoins, they accepted fiat from a payment processor.

for me, merchant acceptance happens in 3 stages

2. show them how they can use their own addresses instead and cash out elsewhere, thus saving the 1% fee, and subtly explaining that they could hoard as an investment. and mention to them a few more details about bitcoins potential
3. if they show interest in hoarding coins then simply say "well dont cash out as much then" and then go into alot more detail about bitcoin

you simply DO NOT run at a FIAT merchant full speed throwing every bitcoin benefit and detail and techno babble at them before then have ever tried it. you also do not go into your first contact with a merchant with the mindset that they will be 100% investors at the first transaction.

its called being subtle, being smart and patient.

Accepting USD from Coinbase isn't really "trying it out". It's just another BTC->USD gateway you can use to pay them with. You could've also used a bitcoin-accepting virtual credit card, one of those websites where you pay in BTC and they order it for you, or in some cases transferred funds to their bank direct from an exchange. The merchant doesn't even see the bitcoin address when you order from coinbase/bitpay if you order online and in-store bitcoin payments aren't really ready yet, the way we currently do it is bad with all the fumbling of electronic devices, some customers not paying enough tx fees leading to confusion and waiting for confirmations.

We have tons of retailers who accept USD from Bitpay/Coinbase now. I use both of those services so many times every single day when buying stuff.

There is very little techno babble involved in accepting BTC or using it, Gavin Andressen used to (don't know if he still does) check if his grandmother could use the bitcoin-core client without any help, and if she could it passed the usability test and she always could. All most merchants need to do to get setup is install an already available free and open source plugin for their eCommerce software in most cases.

When do you think it's a good idea to start telling merchants who are currently "accepting bitcoins" that they are in fact not doing so at all? if you ask me that time is WAY overdue. We need to ween the retailers away from these services because right now what we have is identical to PayPal and it is starting to show the same flaws PayPal has. In fact if you ask me, it could turn out worse than PayPal.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

giveBTCpls

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 10:50:38 PM

The problem is people isn't educated enough to handle this. Once people get it then it's simple. Of course we need better wallets, faster, less bloated and more secure.
People is also scared at the fact of lossing your hard drive = lossing your wealth.

NattyLiteCoin

Activity: 912
Merit: 1021

If you don’t believe, why are you here?

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 10:51:57 PM

Pump and dump bullshit artists.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
  25X FASTER THAN BITCOIN, LIGHTNING NETWORK & ATOMIC SWAPS  
  TWITTER          TELEGRAM          REDDIT          DISCORD          MEDIUM          LINKEDIN  
          ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
bigasic

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 11:25:53 PM

Theres too many of them. However, I like the ones that separate themselves, like Darkcoin, etc, but the btc and litecoin clones just have to go.
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:03:08 AM

When do you think it's a good idea to start telling merchants who are currently "accepting bitcoins" that they are in fact not doing so at all? if you ask me that time is WAY overdue. We need to ween the retailers away from these services because right now what we have is identical to PayPal and it is starting to show the same flaws PayPal has. In fact if you ask me, it could turn out worse than PayPal.

What we have is not identical to PayPal.  Bitcoin users cannot pay with bitcoin through PayPal and that is the whole point of services such as bitpay and coinbase.  Merchant services are just as much to the benefit of bitcoin users as it is to the benefit of the merchants themselves.  The incentive to the merchant initially is to open up their businesses to an entire new customer base:  bitcoin users.  They don't get that customer base through PayPal.  Also, bitcoin users have new places to spend their bitcoins.  Eventually, merchants may choose to keep some or all of their bitcoins, pay their bills in bitcoin, and pay their employees with bitcoin.  Baby steps first.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4479

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 03:14:11 AM

There is very little techno babble involved in accepting BTC or using it, Gavin Andressen used to (don't know if he still does) check if his grandmother could use the bitcoin-core client without any help, and if she could it passed the usability test and she always could. All most merchants need to do to get setup is install an already available free and open source plugin for their eCommerce software in most cases.

dude, i know 100% that you have not successfully got merchants to accept bitcoin directly through your actions. and when that day comes where you have to actually talk to a human about accepting something they know nothing about. you will soon learn.

telling a merchant to accept bitcoin manually, to then hoard it himself and only cash out at the last minute to buy new stock is not how you do it. Seriously, you will never make it as a salesman.

again the bitpay thing. imagine it as a demo, a pre-run. part of the merchants beta test just to see how his customers interact whn its time to pay. at this point ALL THE GOD DAMN MERCHANT SEE's and NEEDS TO SEE is how to get a bitcoin address, show it to a customer and get the customer to pay. and know he will get FIAT to restock his shelves

GET IT, thats stage 1 again its the live demo/ pre-run showing the merchant how easy it is to accept bitcoin customer. its just the dipping of the toe in the water...

THEN i will say it once more THEN when the merchant as stuck his toe in the water, then you introduce him to the rest of the bitcoin benefits and let him choose what options he wants to go with. you dont just get someone that has never touched bitcoin, to start downloading programs for websites he has not heard of, and then download plugins for his shopping cart, which may cost him money to get his web developer to add (after all most merchants are more of the manager experience not the technical stuff like webcoding).

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
ForgottenPassword

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 03:33:44 AM
Last edit: August 05, 2014, 03:47:32 AM by ForgottenPassword

Ok how about this. How about instead of going around telling merchants to use Bitpay, we make a system that allows merchants to accept BTC, but automatically sells the BTC as soon as it is received via an exchanges API So the merchant can do the same thing as with bitpay: accept BTC and get fiat into their bank account, but instead of having Bitpay as a middleman it interacts direct with the exchanges via an API.

You have to remember that the merchant STILL has to integrate Bitpay. Integrating something like this is almost exactly the same as integrating Bitpay except this does not have the fee, extra unnecessary third party risk and (negative) the locked in exchange price.

Sure they have the risk of having to deal with an exchange, but this is much better than the risks when working through Bitpay/Coinbase. If the exchange gets hacked/scammed/poor managment they can temporarily hodl while they switch to another exchange. With Coinbase/Bitpay their entire bitcoin payment system can go offline.

Additionally it's up to the merchant what information they decide to share with third parties about their customers, so that will put a spanner in the works of the latest "attack" on Coinbase with the stringent AML requirements and data mining.

Whats the point of going slow when it isn't really a big step? Accepting BTC directly isn't some huge technical challenge like many would have you think.

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 04:55:02 AM

Ok how about this. How about instead of going around telling merchants to use Bitpay, we make a system that allows merchants to accept BTC, but automatically sells the BTC as soon as it is received via an exchanges API So the merchant can do the same thing as with bitpay: accept BTC and get fiat into their bank account, but instead of having Bitpay as a middleman it interacts direct with the exchanges via an API.

You have to remember that the merchant STILL has to integrate Bitpay. Integrating something like this is almost exactly the same as integrating Bitpay except this does not have the fee, extra unnecessary third party risk and (negative) the locked in exchange price.

Sure they have the risk of having to deal with an exchange, but this is much better than the risks when working through Bitpay/Coinbase. If the exchange gets hacked/scammed/poor managment they can temporarily hodl while they switch to another exchange. With Coinbase/Bitpay their entire bitcoin payment system can go offline.

Additionally it's up to the merchant what information they decide to share with third parties about their customers, so that will put a spanner in the works of the latest "attack" on Coinbase with the stringent AML requirements and data mining.

Whats the point of going slow when it isn't really a big step? Accepting BTC directly isn't some huge technical challenge like many would have you think.

I agree with what you are saying, but you are in essence asking someone to develop and maintain a service, but not get paid for it.  Whenever a service is provided, some sort of fee is typically going to have to be paid.
ForgottenPassword

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 05:00:15 AM

I agree with what you are saying, but you are in essence asking someone to develop and maintain a service, but not get paid for it.  Whenever a service is provided, some sort of fee is typically going to have to be paid.

Service? I was talking about something the merchant can implement. A piece of software so that they wouldn't have to use Bitpay/Coinbase and could interact direct with the exchange. The merchant runs this themselves accepting BTC directly, and they'll save the Coinbase/Bitpay fees and not have to depend on them.

user528KD9 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 06:13:30 AM

As others have alluded to, end user security is the biggest problem IMO.  It would be nice if the bitcoin wizards could just program away the hackers and scammers and protect end users from themselves but that is easier said than done.  I do feel confident that eventually a hardware and/or software "killer app" solution will be designed to do this without the requirement of third party trust.

Hi, thanks for your opinion. What do you think that these "killer aps" should look like? What do you think is wrong with existing SW or HW solutions? Is there somethink what can be improved and if so, what is it? I think that SW wallets are not easy to use, it is still too "hacker app" for normal BFU users.
Nerazzura

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

What do you think is the biggest problem when you use crypto currencies for paying? It doesn't matter if you are developer, client that looks for services, newbie or pro. Is there something what needs to be solved and what slows down crypto currencies expansion? Thanks for you opinions.
Synchronization is only needed by the client long full connection like Bitcoin Core. Technically, synchronization is the process of downloading and verifying all Bitcoin transactions previously on the network. Some Bitcoin client needs to pay attention to all the previous transactions to calculate the remaining balance on your Bitcoin wallet and create a new transaction. This step can require a lot of resources, bandwidth and storage enough to accommodate a full-size block chain. In order to stay safe Bitcoin, some people should still use the full client connections because they served to validate and submit the transaction.
Giulio Prisco

Activity: 173
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 06:47:05 AM

I think the biggest problem in cryptocurrencies is the fact that the vast majority of users still see them means of speculation (buy - hold - sell) rather than currencies (earn - spend).
Anders

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 07:34:00 AM

Having bitcoin being deflationary was probably the right decision. That is one key that has made bitcoin a huge success because it keeps the value of bitcoin up and likely increasing over time. As a more general currency however a cryptocurrency where miners earn a constant rate would be interesting to test how it would work. A cryptocurrency that is stable in terms of inflation and deflation.
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 08:30:59 AM

the big problem is the long time confirmation, ten minutes or 20 minutes for first confirmation. when going to grocery store, coffee shop, train station etc, a bit hassal when paying with BTC and waiting for confirmation before leaving! The more annoyed thing is to pay a small amout of BTC less than 0.1 without any fee, you will wait much longer than you think before the transaction gets confirmed.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 08:56:40 AM

I think the biggest problem is the pump and dump alt coins. There are literally hundreds of them, made by the authors to make a quick dime, but end up having no value.

Undefeatable

Activity: 286

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:40:01 PM

The biggest problem is hacker stealing wallet...

Anders

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:40:20 PM

Although the MtGox crash was horrible it could have served a good purpose. The problem in this case was outside Bitcoin. Now I understand the need for cold storage better. All centrally controlled Bitcoin services can end up like MtGox. Even bitcoin wallets could suddenly start robbing people of their bitcoins. And cold storage is a big burden for many people and there are many potential risks even there. So all the bitcoin management outside of the block chain is a huge security problem that would be nice to see solved by some clever trustless solution. Could be tricky or even impossible to solve.
den.faulkner1990

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:57:05 PM

What do you think is the biggest problem when you use crypto currencies for paying? It doesn't matter if you are developer, client that looks for services, newbie or pro. Is there something what needs to be solved and what slows down crypto currencies expansion? Thanks for you opinions.

difficulty.. i tried to explain my friends what is Bitcoin for few hours. Without any crypto and etc hard things. and he did not understand. And he is not the silliest man in the world. And I'm not the worst narrator. It's hard to accept ana idea of decentralized , uncontrolled currency based on "difficult terrible" crypto. I think it is really necessary for Bitcoins to become simpler and easier.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: