Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 04:00:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the biggest problem in crypto currencies?  (Read 6738 times)
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 01:05:54 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2014, 01:20:55 PM by Este Nuno

5. exchanges are now having $10k FIAT deposit limits. this means the days of rich investors throwing 10's to hundreds of thousands at an exchange are over. thank you AML policies.

Woah, this is news to me. That is pretty bad. That means people have to go through something like Second Market in order to buy a large amount of BTC.

edit: I love how franky always capitalizes FIAT. I picture him sitting at the keyboard shouting out "FIAT!" in anger every time he types it. lol Tongue
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 01:47:32 PM

The trade-off between confirmation time and blockchain size is a serious problem in my opinion. I absolutely love the quick confirmation time with DOGE, because 10 minutes is just too long, but that being said, even Bitcoin has problems with a huge Blockchain, and faster confirmations times won't help.

I don't mind the confirm times so much except when its with a timer or something example coinbase like you have 30 mins to make the purchase but you want to be out of the variance range by sending a no txt instead to save some fees.
Otherwise you need to send an e-mail about it later kind of a pain, the blockchain growing to much is a real problem though needs UXTO compression badly.

It's not a big problem for internet purchases, but no one wants to wait in the McDonalds drive-thru 10 minutes or longer while their transaction confirms. This is going to have to be solved sooner or later unless we are fine with Bitcoin being primarily an internet currency, which is fine with me, but then it won't be a fiat killer.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
movelikejagger

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 05:28:11 PM

The biggest problem is people. People are afraid something new.
Technologov

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 07:45:29 PM

Hard Problems of Cryptocurrency:
https://github.com/ethereum/wiki/wiki/Problems

esp. big one is "Code Obfuscator".
Honeypot

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 08:21:42 PM

People who are 'leading' it.
FUR11

Activity: 378

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 08:25:48 PM

Hard Problems of Cryptocurrency:
https://github.com/ethereum/wiki/wiki/Problems

esp. big one is "Code Obfuscator".

How is this a 'problem' in the sense of something that needs to be overcome and that hinders bitcoin. This is a problem in the sense of a 'theoretical mathematical problem', i.e. a textbook exercise for which the answer isn't known yet. Obfuscation (as of now) is the most stupid and by far worst type of cryptography. Actually it isn't cryptography at all.

doubleredrolex

Activity: 211

I Believe

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 11:07:08 PM

The biggest problem right now is lack of easy use. Still confusing to new people. If someone who knows nothing about bit coins suddenly thinks "I want to get some BTC to spend"... how the heck are they going to do it. Signing up for an exchange, downloading wallets, trying to figure out BTC addresses etc. Its all very confusing still. Need super simple wallets with none of this mining fee questions and input output talk. They don't need to know about the block chain and confirmations. Thats just confusing. Wallets need a "super simple mode" that noobs can use.
coinsolidation

Activity: 294

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 11:22:05 PM

I think the biggest problem in cryptocurrencies is the fact that the vast majority of users still see them means of speculation (buy - hold - sell) rather than currencies (earn - spend).

I completely agree, currency with no 'value', by the dictionary definition of value. Unused currency and empty blockchains, how sad.

Quote from: Summary
People are too simple to use Crypto Currencies.
Crypto Currencies are not simple enough for people to use.

People are too simple to use Computers.
Computers are not simple enough for people to use.

Today we have the bash shell and the touch screen device, something for everybody.
Today we have the crypto currency clients, and the

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 05:34:24 AM

What do you think is the biggest problem when you use crypto currencies for paying?

I think the biggest problem with spending it is getting merchants involved, which shouldn't be a problem if the benefits are clearly explained to them, but I think they're scared off by the volatility and the technology which can seem a bit daunting at first.

thats where bitpay should come in to not even talk about encryption. not talk about blockchains, not talk about satoshi. but to simply say

"if a customer asks for bitcoins show them one of our special barcodes (QR Codes) and we will guarantee the conversion price for 15 minutes, and send the funds straight to you by the next business day"

For free! Smiley
Icardi09

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 06:46:27 AM

What do you think is the biggest problem when you use crypto currencies for paying? It doesn't matter if you are developer, client that looks for services, newbie or pro. Is there something what needs to be solved and what slows down crypto currencies expansion? Thanks for you opinions.
In the transaction, users had already shown some of the advantages that ensure the safe use of the payment instrument, such as cryptography which ensures that the electronic payment instrument is only owned by one person alone.

However, vigilance must be maintained given the cyber crime is always looking for loopholes that could be breached to get a point of weakness.

Bitcoin is an electronic payment transaction tool that is simple and fast, but the Financial Services Authority as a banking supervisor must now examine this transaction tool.
sandykho47

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

Knowledge its everything

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:40:09 AM

I think there are some problem :
1. Security, if you post your address on some site. You not anonymous anymore
2. Network Solution, if Crypto currency not popular and have heavy transaction. It will slow down
3. Stable Price, most Crypto currency is not stable. Some people easily dump the price
4. Mining, super power mining (ASIC) / 51% mining attack, cause price pump / double spend
5. Community, there are lot Crypto currency, so it's very hard to make big community like BTC, LTC, DOGE
6. Exchange / Service, no people will accept & use if there aren't Exchange & Service
7. Software, some Crypto wallet software still often error/crash

But, i think the biggest problem is number 3

Kemampuanku Tidak semua orang memiliki dan dapat melakukannya . Tidak memakan kaum sendiri . dan mempunyai kode etik yang tidak masuk akal.
gtraah

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:26:47 AM

I would like transaction times of below one second. That would be very powerful. And I would like to have the coins stored safely on the block chain without me having to do cold storage myself or having to trust a third party storing the coins for me. And I would like to have zero transaction fees for all transactions. The price/performance of information technology is improving exponentially and having to pay for transactions feels like the old fiat systems.

Hi Anders, thanks. What do you think will be revenue for such businesses (payment gates) that won't charge any fees for transactions? Is it profitable and if not, are such businesses able to survive if everything will be free? What do you think?

As far as I know Bitcoin started with zero transaction fees. The miners earned 25 bitcoins per block in the beginning and over time that amount is reduced. It would perhaps be better to have the miners earn a fixed amount that remains over time.

I am pretty certain it was 50BTC per block at the start

3 Main Issues -

1.Older-Gen or Non-technical people find it hard to use and comprehend how to use.
2.Simple Security (Getting your BTC properly secured is a little complicated)
3.Adoption & Public Understanding
Giulio Prisco

Activity: 173
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 10:08:06 AM

Having bitcoin being deflationary was probably the right decision. That is one key that has made bitcoin a huge success because it keeps the value of bitcoin up and likely increasing over time.

I am not sure this is a plus. If the value of Bitcoin keeps going up, almost by-design and de-facto, then everyone holds and nobody uses Bitcoin to buy things. Then Bitcoin is only a means of speculation and not a currency, and I am not sure that is a huge success.
DoubleBEE

Activity: 40

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 11:31:03 AM

People who are 'leading' it.
even worse when people promote idea of uselessness of bitcoin imho
laurapalmer

Activity: 11

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 01:42:10 PM

Having bitcoin being deflationary was probably the right decision. That is one key that has made bitcoin a huge success because it keeps the value of bitcoin up and likely increasing over time.

I am not sure this is a plus. If the value of Bitcoin keeps going up, almost by-design and de-facto, then everyone holds and nobody uses Bitcoin to buy things. Then Bitcoin is only a means of speculation and not a currency, and I am not sure that is a huge success.

It is a plus because if I make a decision to invest my BTC in an entrepreneurial undertaking, I have to be convinced that I'm making a sound, profitable decision. If my business or investment won't pay off more than just holding BTC, then I hold. "Hard money" incentivizes better decision making, which is the opposite of the effect caused by easy money / credit expansion which encourages me to just throw money at projects that might not be sustainable (buying a house I can't afford, opening stupid businesses, consuming too much, etc).

Biggest problem: 51% attack by an entity wishing to destroy Bitcoin. But I am paranoid.
wordman267645

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 08:54:16 PM

I think transaction times and security are the major problem of crypto currencies. If you do not use proper security in your wallet hackers can easily to hack your wallet and transaction times is the most worst thing ever..
SomethingElse

Activity: 210

Looking for the next big thing

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 09:36:25 PM

mining being busy work that doesn't really accomplish much but hopefully come up with the metaphorical winning lottery ticket of a block is by far the worst problem.  it is inefficient, the miners are greedy and willing to ruin the system, and it wastes hardware and electricity on top of the computational power.  if all that power was put towards real work instead of just random guessing of numbers trying to get lucky over and over, then a crypto could be much better.

Maidsafe will use computers hard drives in a useful way. 
PoS hardly uses any electricity or computational power but still has a robust and protected blockchain.

Both of these are answers to the mining problem. 

NEM
SomethingElse

Activity: 210

Looking for the next big thing

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 09:39:14 PM

I think there are some problem :
1. Security, if you post your address on some site. You not anonymous anymore
2. Network Solution, if Crypto currency not popular and have heavy transaction. It will slow down
3. Stable Price, most Crypto currency is not stable. Some people easily dump the price
4. Mining, super power mining (ASIC) / 51% mining attack, cause price pump / double spend
5. Community, there are lot Crypto currency, so it's very hard to make big community like BTC, LTC, DOGE
6. Exchange / Service, no people will accept & use if there aren't Exchange & Service
7. Software, some Crypto wallet software still often error/crash

But, i think the biggest problem is number 3

These are all very real problems.  I would add

8. the mining problem mentioned in my previous post
9. ease of use for the common person.  bitcoin has a long way to go before it is just as easy as a credit card. (the main competitor for electronic transactions)

NEM
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 10:16:11 PM

they say that the best defense is the best offense so i'm gonna go with...'regulations'

Mightycoin

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 08:18:43 AM

Most currencies face problem of exchangers, and not being accepted as mode of payment.

Hopefully BTC has lot of exchangers and sites are starting to accept it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: