Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 08:38:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-08-04]Mt. Gox founder raises unconventional $3 million ‘investment’ for hi  (Read 1057 times)
zakoliverz (OP)

Activity: 536
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 07:55:14 AM

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/2014/08/mt-gox-founder-raises-stellar-stripe-bitcoin.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+industry_7+%28Industry+Technology%29

J ed McCaleb, the man who founded Mt. Gox back in the day when it was still known as the Magic the Gathering Online Exchange, yesterday unveiled his newest project, Stellar, an online exchange for both traditional and digital currencies, as well as a whole lot more.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 08:32:33 AM

McCaleb is a honest man and we should not group him with that greedy fat b***d Mark Karpeles. As far as I know, after he sold Mt Gox to Karpeles, McCaleb was completely uninvolved on the functioning of Mt Gox.
ChaseT

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 08:34:29 AM

at what price was bought gox by karpeles?

Rich with Cannabiscoin
SOAD

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 09:21:58 AM

So can someone explain to me what's so good about this Stellar? I thought it was a heavily pre-mined alt coin that has been massively given away. Just look in the alt coin marketplace and you can see how easy it is to grab some of these coins and get others to get them for you in exchnage for btc.

TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 06:59:32 PM

Stellar is the same old thing as Ripple, just in new clothing.

They are retaining 5 Million out of the 100 Billion coins, so effectively just like a 'pre-mine'.

And of course, there will be gateways and pandering to banks, so it is "safe" for "regulation". Just another push to get crypto-esque coins in the control of governments and state regulators.

And, just like Ripple, it will be another in a series of high-profile embarrassments.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 07:27:04 PM

They are retaining 5 Million out of the 100 Billion coins, so effectively just like a 'pre-mine'.

5 Million out of the 100 Billion coins
If those numbers are correct, then it is virtually nothing and the inclusion only weakens your post.

Moonpig

Activity: 62

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 07:32:25 PM

When I saw the title I thought it was going to be about Karpales  Cheesy.
gmx95

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 10:41:02 PM

I just don't understand who needs another ripple-like currency? Why don't people concentrate on developing bitcoin industry? There more liquidity is there, the better for the market.

Bitcoin and Litecoin trading platform. Up to 100% deposit bonus. Fund with credit card. http://novafxtrading.com/bitcoin-trading
TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 06:43:21 PM

5 Million out of the 100 Billion coins
If those numbers are correct, then it is virtually nothing and the inclusion only weakens your post.

Don't forget the perpetual inflation they plan to have. I'm sure debasing their own crypto-currency will be a long-lasting recipe for success.

(Riiiiiiiiiiight)

ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 07:04:54 PM

I just don't understand who needs another ripple-like currency? Why don't people concentrate on developing bitcoin industry? There more liquidity is there, the better for the market.
I've been wondering this myself and the only thing Ive been able to come up with thus far is that everybody thinks they have the next bitcoin-level-idea and is trying to get to market with it first as opposed to focusing on the core-technology so much.

trade-for-pokermoney

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 07:07:42 PM

It is 5 billion, but they can't sell for 5 years, only the amount they need to cover costs!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
( DICEBITCO.IN | → BE THE BANK! ←| BEAUTIFUL UI | @Official Thread| @Twitter)
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 01:30:30 PM

It is 5 billion, but they can't sell for 5 years, only the amount they need to cover costs!

Yeah, nice little clause in there. I'm sure it isn't a moveable goalpost that can be abused to whatever ends they require. But that is what you get when you allow some MBA to create a crypto-currency, all about the margins and middleman interference, and less about user utility and actual transparency.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 01:38:20 PM

Ripple is not "mainstream user" friendly. If Stellar can come up with a good site/service then they deserve to make money.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: