Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:29:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebola outbreak linked to secret Monkey Meat trade  (Read 1483 times)
beetcoin (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 08:16:48 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2713707/Secret-trade-monkey-meat-unleash-Ebola-UK-How-appetite-African-delicacies-British-markets-stalls-spread-killer-virus.html

you brits, man.

Ridley Road has been identified as a hub for the secret market in ‘bush meat’ — the flesh of exotic animals such as chimpanzee, monkey, porcupine, fruit bats and even giraffe, slaughtered in the African bush and smuggled into Britain.
It is estimated that a staggering 7,500 tonnes of illegal meat enters Britain each year, the bulk of which is bush meat.
The trade has hitherto been defended on cultural grounds, as little different to Britons eating rabbit or venison. But it is now at the centre of a terrifying health crisis.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vulgartrendkill

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 08:18:57 AM

Never believe the Daily Mail.  They exaggerate the truth.

And lol at giraffes being listed as 'bushmeat'
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 08:26:57 AM

Never believe the Daily Mail.  They exaggerate the truth.

In this case they are telling the truth. It is correct to say that they exaggerate the truth (in most cases), but normally they don't lie unlike the liberal mouthpieces such as the Guardian.

The bush meat trade is a big problem in all of Africa. And it is spreading to other parts of the world as well.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 08:51:54 AM

Never believe the Daily Mail.  They exaggerate the truth.

This is the fucking daily mail, they WILL post anything to get you to click, that said, illegal meat trade isn't something specifically British it happens all over the world, usually some rich maniac who wants to know what monkey and giraffe tastes like.

It's not a question of them being right wing or anything, they're just fucking morons and they've even been heavily involved in the hacking scandal over here, they also have no sense of decency because they and other newspapers like the sun etc. were involved in hacking murdered peoples' parents' phones etc. or the victims themselves and I'm definitely not making that up.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 09:40:30 AM

Never believe the Daily Mail.  They exaggerate the truth.

This is the fucking daily mail, they WILL post anything to get you to click, that said, illegal meat trade isn't something specifically British it happens all over the world, usually some rich maniac who wants to know what monkey and giraffe tastes like.

It's not a question of them being right wing or anything, they're just fucking morons and they've even been heavily involved in the hacking scandal over here, they also have no sense of decency because they and other newspapers like the sun etc. were involved in hacking murdered peoples' parents' phones etc. or the victims themselves and I'm definitely not making that up.

The daily mail is full of junk, but that said it's plausible. Nevertheless illegal meat trade is not something specifically British, in some countries of Asia you can order a living monkey for dinner. I didn't hear about the hacking murdered peoples phones before, can you link that?

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 10:42:29 AM

Just found a perfect list of all the victims by the BBC, it was a pretty big thing here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14187122

Edit: I'm not 100% sure if it was the Daily Mail now I think about it, but I wouldn't put it past them, News Of The World was the main culprit, the Daily Mail definitely stalk and harass people and so does the Sun, I just generally hate these scumbags, they're almost on the same level as the Westboro Baptist Church they have in America.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 11:01:46 AM

I do not think the Daily Mail is wrong about this. If you can get horse meat in supermarket's shepherds pie, surely you can get monkey meat in doggy markets in London. If only one animal is infected, the butchers can be exposed to the ebola virus, this is nothing to joke about.
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 11:03:41 AM

I do not think the Daily Mail is wrong about this. If you can get horse meat in supermarket's shepherds pie, surely you can get monkey meat in doggy markets in London. If only one animal is infected, the butchers can be exposed to the ebola virus, this is nothing to joke about.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, it's serious, but I'm just saying, it's the Daily Mail >_< you guys outside the UK won't know but over here they have a reputation for bullshit.
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 11:37:10 AM

From what I know about bush meat, it is burnt, smoked and dried so HOW can the Ebola virus survive? And if one is to believe this article, then areas like Peckham, Dalston and Brixton, would've been wiped out decades ago.....so would the whole of West and Central Africa!

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 11:38:48 AM

I know it could be serious, but this whole thing seems suspiciously like when the media went apeshit over swine flu, there were only a couple cases of it in each country but they claimed it was worldwide and were trying to drive everybody into a panic.
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 05:44:12 PM

I ate monkey meat in Panama while attending Jungle Warfare school. Bought off of a street barbacoa on a Friday night in Colon.
Didn’t know what it was but it sure tasted good. I was the only one in our group that spoke any Spanglish but the Panamanians spoke with a different accent than the messicans I grew up with.
When I finally figured what we had eaten, and made the mistake of telling the others, I almost didn’t make it back to Fort Sherman that night they were so pissed.

zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 05:58:19 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2713707/Secret-trade-monkey-meat-unleash-Ebola-UK-How-appetite-African-delicacies-British-markets-stalls-spread-killer-virus.html

you brits, man.

Ridley Road has been identified as a hub for the secret market in ‘bush meat’ — the flesh of exotic animals such as chimpanzee, monkey, porcupine, fruit bats and even giraffe, slaughtered in the African bush and smuggled into Britain.
It is estimated that a staggering 7,500 tonnes of illegal meat enters Britain each year, the bulk of which is bush meat.
The trade has hitherto been defended on cultural grounds, as little different to Britons eating rabbit or venison. But it is now at the centre of a terrifying health crisis.
We probably have a similar market here - maybe in Detroit or even in NY where there may be an African population. Imagine living in London and still eating monkey meat...yuck.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 05:59:35 PM

I ate monkey meat in Panama while attending Jungle Warfare school. Bought off of a street barbacoa on a Friday night in Colon.
Didn’t know what it was but it sure tasted good. I was the only one in our group that spoke any Spanglish but the Panamanians spoke with a different accent than the messicans I grew up with.
When I finally figured what we had eaten, and made the mistake of telling the others, I almost didn’t make it back to Fort Sherman that night they were so pissed.

There is something messed up about the idea of eating ape, chimp or monkey meat to me, it's pseudo-cannibalism.
umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 06:45:17 PM

After reading this article I am amazed that Ebola is not already present in the UK. It seems as though anything can be smuggled into the country.

Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 07:04:24 PM

Most viruses die when an animal is killed and body temperature drops and all viruses die when meat is cooked. Even the feared HIV dies when body temperature drops to just 32.
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1358

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 07:44:40 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2014, 10:26:57 PM by Balthazar

Most viruses die when an animal is killed and body temperature drops and all viruses die when meat is cooked.

Even the feared HIV dies when body temperature drops to just 32.
1) Virus is not a living being. It could be inactivated or destroyed, but it can't die.

2) Usage of the word "even" is inappropriate here. A stability of the virus in the environment is determined by the composition of its capsid and envelope, and has absolutely no connection with its pathogenicity or virulence. Virus could be unsustainable and unable to "survive" in the environment but it wouldn't prevent it from being extremely pathogenic/virulent. And vice versa, virus could be extremely stable but harmless.

Some examples:

Retroviridae(HIV/FIV/SIV/SHIV, HTLV-1, HTLV-2) or Flaviviridae (Hepatitis B, C) are using Lipid bilayer envelope. Such type of envelopes is unsustainable in the environment and decays quickly enough, destruction process could be accelerated by drying, light or oxigen exposition. These types of envelope are also vulnerable to formaline, organic solvents like gasoline or alcohol and majority of disinfectants.

Poxviridae (Variola Major and Variola Minor), Filoviridae (Ebola and Marburg viruces) are using lipid-protein envelope. Sych types of envelope could be extreme stable in aggressive environment. Variola virus is able to withstand drying in the sunlight for many weeks. Poxviridae envelope consist of three layers, such construction is able to protect viral genetic material even against formaline, phenol or diethyl ether exposition. Seen in this light, it's pretty understandable why smallpox was such a big problem.

By the way, speaking about virulence... It's interesting that lethality rate of Flaviviridae family members is slowly decreasing in case of consequent infection. First transmission of "wild" strain from animal to human results with almost 100% lethality, but next transmissions (from one human to another and so on) produce strains with lower lethality rate. And after 10 consequent transmissions we're getting a strain with "only" 60% lethality rate, for example. It seems that virus adaptation process went similar in the wild nature. A sequence of transmissions from one monkey to another eventually created an adapted strain, which is harmless for them.
lucaspm98

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:45:13 AM

Who the heck would actually want to eat fruit bat flesh enough to illegally smuggle it into the country? You couldn't even pay me to eat that.
Watoshi-Dimobuto

Activity: 840
Merit: 524

Yes!

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 02:05:26 AM

Who the heck would actually want to eat fruit bat flesh enough to illegally smuggle it into the country? You couldn't even pay me to eat that.

Fruit bat taste better than chickens. It is best if its grilled or fried. You need to skin it properly cut its head and legs because its head resemble like a rat and stench of urine is all over its body.
beetcoin (OP)

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 02:10:50 AM

people like to eat everything and anything.. just look at the chinese. they'll eat scorpions, or i've seen dead baby fetus soup, which is really in the WTF territory.
REDoctober

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 10:01:23 AM

Secret monkey meat trade sounds naughty  Cheesy

Seriously, "bushmeat" can mean many things, and one of them is what is called "long pork".

I am suggesting that a certain proportion of bush meat is human.

J.A. Hunter, a big game hunter in AFRICA in the 1920's, describes coming back to camp before his native assistants did. He was hungry and went to the cook,

who gave him what he thought was pork stew. He liked it so much he had seconds. When his native assistants came back, and saw he was eating "bushmeat"

that the cook had procured, took his bowl away, and never said what it was, only that "your" people do not like this, you should not eat this.

They said this to a guy who had killed and eaten almost every animal under the sun.

This guy had no reason to lie. He loved Africa and he loved the people even more.

His book is called HUNTER (i think out of print) it is a good read.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: