Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:13:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this possible that I'll loose my coins due to forks in bitcoin client?  (Read 1688 times)
konradp (OP)

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 09:28:28 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2014, 09:57:52 AM by konradp

Hi.
Let's say I did a backup of my wallet two years ago. After that core devs made a few changes to the Bitcoin client.

I now restore the backup wallet - is this possible that I'll see a message like "Sorry, this wallet is incompatible with current version of Bitcoin".

I know the devs give some time to change, but it's never counted in years.
amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 09:40:22 AM

Everything is possible.
Nobody can guarantee you anything for a infinite time.

Do you want to buy insurance?  Grin
MechaLeary

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 09:42:50 AM

Just download the version of the wallet you need, then use dumpprivkey or maybe dumpwallet to get your private keys, and then use importprivkey in your updated client.
konradp (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 09:46:34 AM

Everything is possible.

No thanks:)

Just download the version of the wallet (https://bitcoin.org/en/version-history) you need, then use dumpprivkey or maybe dumpwallet to get your private keys, and then use importprivkey in your updated client.
Thanks, but how will I be able to know which version of the wallet I need after those 2 years?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 09:57:58 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2014, 10:12:38 AM by Kluge

Everything is possible.

No thanks:)

Just download the version of the wallet (https://bitcoin.org/en/version-history) you need, then use dumpprivkey or maybe dumpwallet to get your private keys, and then use importprivkey in your updated client.
Thanks, but how will I be able to know which version of the wallet I need after those 2 years?
The privkey will pretty certainly never change in format any time soon, even if wallet implementations do. If it does, you should still be able to convert the privkey with little effort, keeping in mind that it'd be absolutely insane for the devs to not provide a conversion tool for old wallets (or allow both formats to be used) if they should make incompatible changes.

To answer your question, the level of risk is about on par with someone finding your privkey through brute-forcing.
konradp (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 10:10:22 AM

Thanks Kluge!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 01:51:12 PM

As kludge said it is very possible that on a long enough timeline your wallet format may no longer be used on any active clients (talking decades not years) but the raw private keys will still be valid.

If you are still worried then make a dump of the raw keys now and print them out.
konradp (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 02:09:21 PM

As kludge said it is very possible that on a long enough timeline your wallet format may no longer be used on any active clients (talking decades not years) but the raw private keys will still be valid.

If you are still worried then make a dump of the raw keys now and print them out.

Thanks, I'll be doing that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: