Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 11:31:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying Birth Control for Others 'Obligation Citzens Have'  (Read 1522 times)
umair127 (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 01:41:07 PM

Wrong, Ruthie!  A woman who can´t afford the pill, or a condom....or who is having sex with a man who can´t afford to buy one.... can´t afford to be having sex. And that´s her problem. Not mine.  I am not morally obligated to prevent someone else´s pregnancy.         

Justice Ginsburg: Buying Contraceptives for Others is One of the ‘Obligations That Citizens Have’

(CNSNews.com) – Providing women with cost-free health-insurance coverage for contraceptives  is one of the “obligations” of citizenship, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said Wednesday in an interview with Yahoo’s Katie Couric.

“Some people say there’s something troubling about mandating a private company though, to do something that is against their deeply held religious beliefs. What would you say to those people?” Couric asked Ginsburg, one of four dissenting justices in the court’s landmark Burwell v. Hobby Lobby decision.

“When you’re part of a society, you can’t separate yourself from the obligations that citizens have,” the justice replied.

Ginsburg called the 5-4 ruling in Hobby Lobby “a decision of startling breadth." The case concerned a regulation issued by the Department of Health and Human Services under the Affordable Care Act that said virtually all health-insurance plans in the United States must provide all women of reproductive capacity with co-pay-free coverage for all FDA-approved contraceptives.

These "contraceptives" included two forms of IUDS and two drugs that can terminate a human life by preventing an embryo from implanting in the mother's womb. The Green family, which owns Hobby Lobby, said buying these IUDs and abortifacients drugs violated its Christian faith and that the Religious Freedom Restoration Act prohibited the federal government from forcing them to violate their faith in that way. The majority of the Supreme Court agreed.

“Your 35-page dissent has been described as blistering and scathing,” Couric noted to Ginsburg. “Why did you find this decision so disturbing?”

“The decision that an employer could refuse to cover contraceptives meant that women would have to take care of that for themselves or the men who cared,” Ginsburg replied. “Contraceptive protection is something that every woman must have access to to control her own destiny,” she added.

“I certainly respect the belief of the Hobby Lobby owners. On the other hand, they have no constitutional right to foist that belief on the hundreds and hundreds of women who work for them who don’t share that belief. I had never seen the free exercise of religion clause interpreted in such a way.”
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/tatiana-lozano/justice-ginsburg-buying-contraceptives-others-one-obligations-citizens

sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 02:30:01 PM

This is where the lefties got the idea that employers could deny all contraceptives when in fact the suit dealt specifically with abortifacients which I wish she would stop calling birth control. Her idea that the Constitution should be interpreted not based on law but on outcome is proof she doesn't belong on the court. And her idea that the decision was split based on gender and men don't realize what a woman feels is more bunk.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 03:00:34 PM

Do I need to repeat my argument that the next president needs to be a Republican, any Republican? This woman as well as probably one or two more justices will likely retire during that time frame. Does anyone with more than half a brain and even a rudimentary understanding of the Constitution want more associate justices like Mrs. Ginsburg on the bench? There can be no more important mission than preventing that from happening.

umair127 (OP)

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 03:04:22 PM

Do I need to repeat my argument that the next president needs to be a Republican, any Republican? This woman as well as probably one or two more justices will likely retire during that time frame. Does anyone with more than half a brain and even a rudimentary understanding of the Constitution want more associate justices like Mrs. Ginsburg on the bench? There can be no more important mission than preventing that from happening.
It's stunning that a Supreme Court justice would say such a thing. God help us all if the Court is ever run by liberals, because the Constitution will be shredded.

sana8410

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 03:12:46 PM

Amen to that but lets hope the choice isn't the lesser of two evils and this issue is the final deciding point. Too many times I've either bit my tongue while I voted or simply voted none of the above.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 03:27:08 PM

This is so bizarre to me, in my country family planning began 30 years ago, we have one of lowest abortion rates in Europe and low teen pregnancy.

You cannot argue against facts, but these religious zealots don't care about reality, they just want to push their agenda, what's disturbing about this ruling is that it seems if you claim something is your religious beliefs it all goes...

"buying these IUDs and abortifacients drugs violated its Christian faith and that the Religious Freedom Restoration Act prohibited the federal government from forcing them to violate their faith in that way. The majority of the Supreme Court agreed."

What will happen when some Muslims want to stone some little girl because that's their religious beliefs or Christians Scientists let a child die of appendicitis because that's their religious beliefs, should faith be an excuse to let people get away with anything?

solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 03:30:35 PM

This is so bizarre to me, in my country family planning began 30 years ago, we have one of lowest abortion rates in Europe and low teen pregnancy.

You cannot argue against facts, but these religious zealots don't care about reality, they just want to push their agenda, what's disturbing about this ruling is that it seems if you claim something is your religious beliefs it all goes...

"buying these IUDs and abortifacients drugs violated its Christian faith and that the Religious Freedom Restoration Act prohibited the federal government from forcing them to violate their faith in that way. The majority of the Supreme Court agreed."

What will happen when some Muslims want to stone some little girl because that's their religious beliefs or Christians Scientists let a child die of appendicitis because that's their religious beliefs, should faith be an excuse to let people get away with anything?

Personally i'm an atheist and a conservative and I find the belief that the state should provide for everything from cradle to grave rather zealous in itself.

All Hobby Lobby wanted was to not to be forced to pay for after-morning pills, how is that a violation of someone's freedom or propping up a religious state? If they have to pay for that then why not force them to pay for toothpaste so all their employees have healthy teeth? Where does it end?
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 04:02:16 PM

A pack of condoms is much cheaper than feeding a welfare rat for his entire existence. So for the first time ever, I agree with that disgusting POS, Ruth Ginsberg. Birth control should be made freely available. It reduces the future burden.
sana8410

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 04:09:15 PM

The liberal women demanding that society owes them free abortifacients is like drug addicts demanding that the society owes them free drugs.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 04:44:27 PM

This is where the lefties got the idea that employers could deny all contraceptives when in fact the suit dealt specifically with abortifacients which I wish she would stop calling birth control. Her idea that the Constitution should be interpreted not based on law but on outcome is proof she doesn't belong on the court. And her idea that the decision was split based on gender and men don't realize what a woman feels is more bunk.
We all know this decision was specific.  But supreme court decisions set precedent that extends beyond the specifics of a case.  Google that word and get back to me when you understand it then we can discuss the precedent this decision has set.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 04:46:24 PM

I wonder if it ever occurred to you that employers have no business denying ANY employee ANY approved drug, for ANY reason of their own.  Especially when the insurance that covers said drug is paid for in large part by the employee, and as part of her/his earned compensation.  That is wage theft.   Incidentally, some of the drugs in contention are NOT abortifacients, technically or conceptually.

I'll start listening to this SHIT as soon as I start hearing the outcry about woodie-enhancing drugs and devices covered by insurances.   

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
solid12345
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 04:55:18 PM

I wonder if it ever occurred to you that employers have no business denying ANY employee ANY approved drug, for ANY reason of their own.  Especially when the insurance that covers said drug is paid for in large part by the employee, and as part of her/his earned compensation.  That is wage theft.   Incidentally, some of the drugs in contention are NOT abortifacients, technically or conceptually.

I'll start listening to this SHIT as soon as I start hearing the outcry about woodie-enhancing drugs and devices covered by insurances.   

So when will my boss be forced to pay for my toothpaste and dental floss? Isn't it in the public's interest for me to have healthy gums and teeth?
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 05:15:46 PM

A pack of condoms is much cheaper than feeding a welfare rat for his entire existence. So for the first time ever, I agree with that disgusting POS, Ruth Ginsberg. Birth control should be made freely available. It reduces the future burden.

Actually I see societal benefits in making birth control freely available. 

The question here is whether it should be part and parcel of some sort of "National Health Insurance Program."  That begs the question not what should society benefit from, but what, exactly is INSURANCE?

Insurance is not paying for ALL MEDICAL COSTS.  Insurance is not placing society's interest above that of the individual.  Insurance is paying a portion of costs and covering catastrophic costs.

The interjection of politics into medicine will only have bad consequences. 

"Give them bread and circuses!"
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 05:20:44 PM

Personally i'm an atheist and a conservative and I find the belief that the state should provide for everything from cradle to grave rather zealous in itself.

All Hobby Lobby wanted was to not to be forced to pay for after-morning pills, how is that a violation of someone's freedom or propping up a religious state? If they have to pay for that then why not force them to pay for toothpaste so all their employees have healthy teeth? Where does it end?

I forgot to say, abortions are free in my country.

Well, are you going to get pregnant if you don't wash your teeth a couple days, is that something that will impact or endanger your life, will that result in another child in the system that then you will need to pay for?

You can cut the bullshit, this case isn't about money, it's about religious zealots imposing their view about the role of women in society.

solid12345
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 05:36:35 PM

Well, are you going to get pregnant if you don't wash your teeth a couple days, is that something that will impact or endanger your life, will that result in another child in the system that then you will need to pay for?

You can cut the bullshit, this case isn't about money, it's about religious zealots imposing their view about the role of women in society.

And imposing this fanaticism that sex is some kind of right is just as bad. If you can't afford a few dollars a month for birth control maybe you shouldn't be having sex period. If your only argument is "well it's a good idea" I can come up with all sorts of things the government can pay for to make society better, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the constitutional or right idea.

If all your basic necessities in life are paid for by the state what is the point to getting a job?
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 05:46:36 PM

Why do these conservative women support a religion that tries to control other women and their rights as Americans?

Why do they continually support state laws that strip women of their rights?

Are they brainwashed?

pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 05:49:03 PM

And imposing this fanaticism that sex is some kind of right is just as bad. If you can't afford a few dollars a month for birth control maybe you shouldn't be having sex period. If your only argument is "well it's a good idea" I can come up with all sorts of things the government can pay for to make society better, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the constitutional or right idea.

If all your basic necessities in life are paid for by the state what is the point to getting a job?

ROTFL

solid12345
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 05:51:21 PM

ROTFL

I'm dead serious, if you can afford a date night with dinner and a movie before getting it on, you can afford to pick up a box of condoms at the local 711.
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 05:52:50 PM

ROTFL

I'm dead serious, if you can afford a date night with dinner and a movie before getting it on, you can afford to pick up a box of condoms at the local 711.

Please, I'm still laughing.

solid12345
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 05:57:15 PM

Please, I'm still laughing.

I'm still laughing at your idea that not forcing a company to pay for birth control for their employees is going to lead to Muslims stoning young girls and getting away with it.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: