Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 11:59:30 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ARMORY WALLET IS THE BEST!! THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!  (Read 2218 times)
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:19:15 PM

Let me stress that you should listen to my advice and move your coins to a proper WO wallet. You should create that new wallet on an offline machine as well. Can't you put some old parts together to get something to boot a live Linux?

ForgottenPassword put you in the right direction for the download. Once you have downloaded 0.92.1, let it do its thing, and you should soon be able to witness your actual balance.

As for the satoshis you received, this is called dust. The main purpose is to link your addresses together and reveal your wallet's structure. The attack is undiscriminated so you shouldn't feel directly targeted. It is easily mitigated: don't consume the dust UTXOs and avoid address reuse.

ForgottenPassword

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:34:48 PM

As for the satoshis you received, this is called dust. The main purpose is to link your addresses together and reveal your wallet's structure. The attack is undiscriminated so you shouldn't feel directly targeted. It is easily mitigated: don't consume the dust UTXOs and avoid address reuse.

These addresses already have a balance on them. Sending them dust wouldn't aid in revealing the wallets structure unless they were previously used but now empty addresses.

Let me stress that you should listen to my advice and move your coins to a proper WO wallet. You should create that new wallet on an offline machine as well. Can't you put some old parts together to get something to boot a live Linux?

Yes you should do this. Keeping your wallet as a paper wallet like you are doing is generally a bad idea.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:58:41 PM

These addresses already have a balance on them. Sending them dust wouldn't aid in revealing the wallets structure unless they were previously used but now empty addresses.

I was under the impression he was talking about the addresses he found empty. There is also sort of a denial of service attack associated with spending dust.

bissell (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 03:36:59 PM

Hi member Forgotten Password,

please can you tell me why this is a bad idea?

many thanks.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: