Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 09:41:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC .com - SOLD - $1,000,000  (Read 3216 times)
NeverLoseVision (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 07:56:22 PM

Hello and good day...

Just passing along some [exciting] premium domain name news as usual.

BTC (.com) has been SOLD for $1,000,000 by @DomainGuardians out of Brisbane, Australia.

The buyer is @GawMiners - a U.S. based Bitcoin company.

Other notes:

BitcoinWallet (.com) was sold for $250,000 in February 2014.
Bitcoin (.com) is tied up in a five-year lease with Blockchain for an undisclosed sum.
Bitcoins (.com) was scheduled to be auctioned last week by Heritage Auctions but was postponed. The target was $750,000.
BitcoinWallets (.com) is currently being developed with pending 6-figure offers.

Enjoy.

Wink

Skeksis

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 08:17:22 PM

Makes me wish I wouldve squatted on some of those domains hehe. Oh well, you snooze you lose.
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 08:42:38 PM

Squatting on domain names should be outlawed. All it does is stifle innovation, which in turn hurts the community.

I wish there were an effective way for the community to protest or embargo domain hosting companies that squat on domain names.

FUR11

Activity: 378

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 08:46:04 PM

A lot of money, that's for sure! But those short domains have been squatted for 15 years or so, already. Who the heck knows what's been on that domain before...
Alright, archive.org tells me it was a "Brain Trust Company" Video store or something??? Japanese everywhere.... Satoshi?Huh Karpeles?Huh

Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:13:18 AM

Squatting on domain names should be outlawed. All it does is stifle innovation, which in turn hurts the community.

I wish there were an effective way for the community to protest or embargo domain hosting companies that squat on domain names.
I would argue that it stifles innovation. Someone can easily use a different domain if they want to innovate and create a business with brand recognition. IMO the only value derived from domain names is that from the underlying business.
beetcoin

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:21:32 AM

3 letter domains ran out a long time ago if im correct, so whoever bought this probably did it a long time ago.. before bitcoin even existed. how crazy is that?
Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:45:05 AM

3 letter domains ran out a long time ago if im correct, so whoever bought this probably did it a long time ago.. before bitcoin even existed. how crazy is that?

One right shot like this one will pay for the registrations for long time, and leave a good premium.

Not crazy, since there is few of them, so little cost.

No saying that sit on domain names is good, though
trade-for-pokermoney

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:51:28 AM

One right shot like this one will pay for the registrations for long time, and leave a good premium.

"few" is still relative.

39304 possible 3 digit domains without any special characters for EACH top level domain.

Just randomly registering those back in the day and paying the ~10$ per domain per year, can still be very very expensive. In hindsight, yes, best investment ever, all of those go for 5 digits +

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
( DICEBITCO.IN | → BE THE BANK! ←| BEAUTIFUL UI | @Official Thread| @Twitter)
beetcoin

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:52:19 AM

i generally don't find domain squatting that bad. it's just another game of speculation. what does that remind you of? for me, it's any kind of investing.. especially bitcoin.

if a big company comes along and wants your domain, $1 is just like a drop in the ocean anyways.

the thing that i don't like is patent trolling.
trade-for-pokermoney

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:10:46 AM

i generally don't find domain squatting that bad. it's just another game of speculation. what does that remind you of? for me, it's any kind of investing.. especially bitcoin.

if a big company comes along and wants your domain, $1 is just like a drop in the ocean anyways.

You can't really compare those two things. Patent trolling does have real world implications, Domainquatting is just a bit annoing, nobody is really hurt. Well, maybe in one case: When non-profit organizations have to pay to get the better domains.

( DICEBITCO.IN | → BE THE BANK! ←| BEAUTIFUL UI | @Official Thread| @Twitter)
beetcoin

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:16:56 AM

You can't really compare those two things. Patent trolling does have real world implications, Domainquatting is just a bit annoing, nobody is really hurt. Well, maybe in one case: When non-profit organizations have to pay to get the better domains.

you're basically saying the same thing as i am though.. i am okay with domain squatting, but i don't like patent trolling.
lucaspm98

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:23:14 AM

Incredible, but it's definitely worth it. Super memorable domain, and I'm sure it gets a few thousand people a month just typing the address in to see what it is.
Shad3dOne

Activity: 261

Interesting.....

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 02:52:57 AM

daamn....and i still cant sell BTClist.com.

maybe i should try harder.

Smiley

Domain for sale -> NXTcoin.com, 200 btc/2.9 M nxt. pm me
like craigslist but for btc! --> Visit BTClist.com
FederationCredits--> C6khbXzADRUeT9di2SpNubCt2UVTuayKMV What's this?
harles9

Activity: 68

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 03:00:13 AM

You know what... that's a reasonably good deal for GAW.  I can definitely see this domain ONLY increasing in value over time, regardless of the value of Bitcoins.
TrailingComet

Activity: 462

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 06:53:19 AM

Fucking hell, that's a great sale though arguably may have risen even more in value if the owner had held on
Gonna herald a new era of crypto domain squatting

jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 06:57:18 AM

That seems a bit pricey.

I hardly think it's fair for people to register domain names purely on an investment basis, surely to register a domain one should have to demonstrate the intention to actually use it?

It is very likely to put a lot of people off - not only Bitcoin but other forms of business.
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 07:10:15 AM

Does anyone know the actual owner of bitcoin.com?  You say it is leased to blockchain, but who is the owner?
beetcoin

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 07:14:02 AM

Fucking hell, that's a great sale though arguably may have risen even more in value if the owner had held on
Gonna herald a new era of crypto domain squatting

man, if i had that domain, i'd sell it at $1 million easily. you never know what's going to happen with bitcoin after all.
will_see

Activity: 79

https://bountyminer.io

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 07:26:20 AM

where is me time machine? Cry Cry

mike25

Activity: 97

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 09:00:40 AM