Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:14:26 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mixing within own wallet? More wallets better?  (Read 1124 times)
bitcoinbitcoin (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 06:53:03 AM

Does sending coins around within your wallet have the same privacy effect as sending them to your other wallets?

Also, Why is there no transaction fee required for this?

i think i read somewhere, that it is looks obvious on the blockchain (less private)?  

Also, Regarding privacy, is it even better to create a new electrum wallet (instead of just new address) for each incoming transaction?
ForgottenPassword

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:25:46 PM

Does sending coins around within your wallet have the same privacy effect as sending them to your other wallets?

Also, Why is there no transaction fee required for this?

i think i read somewhere, that it is looks obvious on the blockchain (less private)?  

Sending BTC within your wallet or to other wallets really doesn't give you any privacy effect. The coins can be tracked using taint analysis. If you need privacy you need to mix the coins using a mixing service. CoinJoin is "pretty" good and is trustless.

Sending from one wallet to the other or within the same wallet requires the same tx fee.

Also, Regarding privacy, is it even better to create a new electrum wallet (instead of just new address) for each incoming transaction?

Not really. If you use coincontrol properly it makes no difference whatsoever.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX
bitcoinbitcoin (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 08:07:57 PM

Sorry, i misused the term "mixing" in the title. Sad
Yes, i understand sending to new addresses is not "mixing."

However, Sending coins to new addresses DOES give "plausible deniability of ownership", so maybe "privacy" was the wrong term? Is there a better term to use?

My question is: Is it possible for an outsider to tell the difference if you sent coins to a new wallet --- or within your wallet?
Or does it look EXACTLY the same?

i remember reading that, even if u use CoinControl, there was some obvious "evidence" left behind when coins are sent intra-wallet (one wallet) vs inter-wallet (multiple wallets)? What is that technical "evidence"? link please Smiley

How do you use CoinJoin?

Are there any guides/tutorials?

All i found was blockchain.info's "shared coin" option.
Thanks, so much, this is a complicated topic for me!  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: