Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:11:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeding the antminer S3 with 3 pci-e cables?  (Read 4805 times)
CryptoPanda (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 302

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 09:28:56 AM

The PSU seems to shut down when feeding it with just 2. It might be because the cables are made for just 75W and it pulls 180W through each (so it drains 360W in total).
So, I'm thinking can I plug a 3rd pci-e cable, without overclocking it just to spread the power a bit more, or it doesn't work like this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 12:21:39 PM

At stock speeds the S3 pulls 340W from the wall, meaning it will pull less from the PSU itself depending on efficiency.  What PSU are you using that keeps shutting down?  I don't know that I'd trust it Smiley.  How many rails does it have?  Can it supply enough juice (watts/amps) to the PCI-e?

Bitmain has recommended connecting 4 if you're over clocking, or 2 if running stock.  There's nothing that says connecting 2 on 1 blade and 1 on the other will work.  Even if it did work as you hope, then you'd have 170W draw on 1 cable and 85W draw each on the other 2 (assuming the 340W power requirement).

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
jowaybea

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:27:44 PM

The PSU seems to shut down when feeding it with just 2. It might be because the cables are made for just 75W and it pulls 180W through each (so it drains 360W in total).
So, I'm thinking can I plug a 3rd pci-e cable, without overclocking it just to spread the power a bit more, or it doesn't work like this?

If the PSU is shutting down, either it is overloaded, or one rail of a multi-rail PSU is overloaded, or your AC outlet is not supplying enough power for the PSU.  If the cables are overloaded, it will cause them to get hot, but that alone should not cause the PSU to shut down until the insulation melts, and the cables short out.  

If plugging in a third cable helps you, then maybe the first two cables are on one rail and the last cable is on the other?  Try to make sure each blade of the S3 is on a separate rail if you can.

All that being said, it will not hurt anything, and can only help to plug in PCIe cables to the extra slots on the S3, whether you are over clocking or not.
Golph

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:28:57 PM

If you have extra pci-e cable you should just plug in all 4. Having 90W on each pci-e is always better then 180W.

Get Daily Free SIGNs before too late. SyeED5YaZeVPows6Zx9z1hJ7twNJrKLrJB
CryptoPanda (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:48:59 PM

it's a single rail 630W  thermal take one and it gives 588W to the PCI-e connectors
so should be more than enough, that's why I thought it's the cables, but what you say about them first getting hot makes sense.
Can there be some protection built in that does that?

the AC outlet should have plenty to supply them I believe, there is nothing else on it.

So, what else it might be?
jowaybea

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 02:41:45 PM

it's a single rail 630W  thermal take one and it gives 588W to the PCI-e connectors
so should be more than enough, that's why I thought it's the cables, but what you say about them first getting hot makes sense.
Can there be some protection built in that does that?

the AC outlet should have plenty to supply them I believe, there is nothing else on it.

So, what else it might be?

That should be plenty of power for a single S3.  It is possible the PSU protection unit is bad, or something else about the PSU has failed.
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1054

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 03:20:39 PM

I would agree with the earlier posts on a possible power supply issue. I'd also look at what your power supply is plugged into. I recently had an APC PDU acting up and once I replaced it, my S3's became stable.
CryptoPanda (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:18:07 PM

I tried with another  800W single rail PSU and it did the same first time,  but working for few hours fine now.
However if it does it again, I guess I'll just try with 4 pci-e cables plugged.
So, we know for sure that plugging 4 cables splits the load evenly between them all?
GrandMasterB

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 10:02:39 PM

Not sure if this will help. I'm using a gold rated single rail 1000w PSU for two S3's. If i plug the PCI-E's into a miner the fans blow but it doesn't boot. I have to use 3 PCI-E in each miner. Not sure if this is just the modular PCI-E cable. Didn't really bother checking.
darkphantom934

Activity: 141

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 10:41:28 PM

First, drawing 180W through a 6pin is dangerous and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

You might be activating some sort of protection on the PSU (they are very safe and programmed to shut down immediately when things get too hot or overloaded), so the best test would be just to plug in the 3 PCI-e cables and see how things go.

Good luck!
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:01:07 PM

First, drawing 180W through a 6pin is dangerous and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

You might be activating some sort of protection on the PSU (they are very safe and programmed to shut down immediately when things get too hot or overloaded), so the best test would be just to plug in the 3 PCI-e cables and see how things go.

Good luck!

The 6-pin is differentiated from the 8-pin by only 2 ground wires.  If the PSU is single rail and uses quality cabling it shouldn't be an issue, especially if you use 3 or 4 cables.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3864

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 05:54:16 PM

Good luck!

The 6-pin is differentiated from the 8-pin by only 2 ground wires.  If the PSU is single rail and uses quality cabling it shouldn't be an issue, especially if you use 3 or 4 cables.

I added Startech PCIe splitters to each PCIe cord. It works fine on EVGA1300 and cords are not even hot when at 237.5mhz.
Naturally, both ends shall go to power the SAME board.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 06:33:54 PM

Not sure if this will help. I'm using a gold rated single rail 1000w PSU for two S3's. If i plug the PCI-E's into a miner the fans blow but it doesn't boot. I have to use 3 PCI-E in each miner. Not sure if this is just the modular PCI-E cable. Didn't really bother checking.
This may be pointing out the obvious, and at the risk of insulting your intelligence, you did plug a cable into each board, and not two on the same one, right?

In other words, you plugged in like the green ovals, and NOT like the red rectangles:

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
CryptoPanda (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 11:24:24 AM

yes, for sure
n00b2013

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 12:57:29 PM

Crypto, to be honest TT units aren't the best so 150+W per rail may be much for em; I run Seasonics and they couldn't care less, 150W per wire is just fine, but id be weary of doing that on lesser quality units
if you do have the 4 wires, why not plug em all in ? if you don't have 4 wires, use adapters from molex to make 4 wires Smiley
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 02:51:47 PM

yes, for sure
OK, good Smiley.  Now that we've cleared up you're plugging things in properly, I fall back to my original post here: I wouldn't trust the PSU.  If you're plugging in only 2 PCI-e cables and it trips the PSU, something's off.  It looks like you tried another PSU that exhibited the same behavior at first, but has since run properly?  What kind of PSUs are you using?  I've got EVGA 1300 G2, Corsair HX1050 and a Corsair CX600M that I use and have not run into issues like you're describing.

OK... another question for you that may seem obvious: are you accidentally causing this on your PSU somehow (like, are you using the old paperclip test, and that clip slips out or shorts or something)?

stryker

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 11:07:31 AM

I've only skimmed through this thread but thought I should point out I've had PSUs which before now will shut down if there is no draw on the +5v and +3v rails... to remedy this I just plugged in an old CDROM drive.
bigbitmine

Activity: 196

Big Bit Mine

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 05:00:03 PM

I run 2 S3's using a Corsair CX750M.  2 pci to each miner.  Runs well.  Hope it helps.

finlof

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 05:09:07 PM

the power usage is separate per side so the 3rd cable would just help distribute the power load on that one side.  i'm not affiliated with minersource (http://minersource.net/products/dell-750w-psu-slash-adapter) or gekkoscience (http://www.gekkoscience.com/products/D750_supply_breakout_board.html) at all but i've purchased several of these products and they are prob the best use of your $ if you are going to run S1's, S3's, BTC Gardens, etc.
CryptoPanda (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 10:45:51 AM

the power usage is separate per side so the 3rd cable would just help distribute the power load on that one side.  i'm not affiliated with minersource (http://minersource.net/products/dell-750w-psu-slash-adapter) or gekkoscience (http://www.gekkoscience.com/products/D750_supply_breakout_board.html) at all but i've purchased several of these products and they are prob the best use of your $ if you are going to run S1's, S3's, BTC Gardens, etc.

yes looks like much cheaper solution. My question is why everyone is using ATX PSUs then?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: