Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:32:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Analysis of Bitcoin Adoption in a Physical Marketplace - Face 2 Face Transaction  (Read 1216 times)
box0211 (OP)

Activity: 165
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 09:31:34 PM

I helped kickstart the initial launch of the Bitcoin Fair in NYC and I would like to give an analysis of my findings regarding adoption in a physical marketplace.

As it stands right now Bitcoin is still quite new in the minds of the general public as most people don't take it seriously or still have a negative conitation about it from media headlines. It's obvious that it will take some time before the general public comes on board and get used to using cryptocurrency like how it took some time for credit cards. It's just that we don't have a marketing department like Visa.

The kickoff day for the Bitcoin Fair was a great success as much of the community came out to help support vendors that accepted btc.

First things first is that we have to understand that this fair has over 80+ rotating vendors each week that are not tech savvy at all as they are your general small business owner concentrating on their business and less worrying about crypto. 90% of the vendors take cash only and there's a reason for that as there are no fees and it just makes it easier without uncle sam taking a chunk from a tiny mom and pop stand.

The Vendor Problem:

Out of the 80+ vendors, only 20-30 or so signed up for accepting Bitcoin, the rest didn't bother nor cared for it. Reason why these 20-30 accepted btc was due to the fact they had a relationship with the fair owner advocating it. And for the potential publicity it could bring them. These people are still not our tech savvy business owners, but they are esstential to increasing adoption as they provide products/services that we seldom find in the BTC arena mainly food / artisanal products.

Now the question to the problem is, how do we increase vendor adoption?

** Envy **
From what I noticed so far is that any vendor that took BTC received more than normal sales during the Bitcoin Fair day as BTC users came out to help support those vendors. Any vendor that did not accept BTC technically lost a sale as most of the users I interviewed would approach a vendor to ask if they took BTC and if they didn't they would just walk away to their neighbor that did. This was an interesting effect as this happened enough times, the vendors noticed they were losing sales to their competition. From there I noticed that vendors that completely ignored it initially, ended up asking more info about Bitcoin and took it a bit more seriously eventually signing up for bitpay.

** Education **
Another major hurdle I noticed after vendors chose to accept BTC, was understanding how to use it. QR scanning to pay for something is quite foreign to most people. I had to educate a majority of these new vendors from the ground up without going much into the technical details. But once these vendors get the concept, they were pretty much sold on it. This required a face to face interation with them as they will 'always' have questions. Asking vendors to 'read' or 'watch' a video isn't really going to fly when educating newcomers.

** Support **
Currently Bitpay has a booth every Sunday at the fair now to help support vendors that run into problems with the platform. This is necessary as I noticed quite a few times a transaction would get stuck or someone sent an amount less than what was required due to the .0001 btc fee deducted from the users wallet. Now this just completely frustrates vendors as they end up wondering if they received the money or not. Sure they can look at the blockchain confirmations, but good luck on explaining that to non-technical folks on the spot. This is why its ncessary to have a 'support booth' at these types of events. If this happens enough times to a vendor, they will eventually drop the platform completely. Another idea is to get processors to negate these small amounts when they occur, with a threshold of course.

** Experimental **
Initially I came up with the idea of a vendor + user rebate system for the fair. Any vendor that received X amount of BTC for that day would get an addtional 5-10% extra BTC. And any user that spent BTC that day at a 'verified' vendor's address would also get a 5-10% rebate. This is only possible with crypto since we can see transactions on the blockchain, as doing it any other way wouldn't be easy. We weren't able to excute this approach as we had an extremely small budget to work with. So hopefully anyone that holds another similar event would try this approach if they have the funding for it. It definitely would increase adotoption, imo.

---------------

Currently the Bitcoin Fair is still running every Sunday until October and I can see bitcoin accepting vendors dwindling if we don't keep the momentum going. The fair owner is willing to waive initial booth fees for Bitcoin companies or cryptocoin communities that would like to have a booth at the fair. This is to draw more community members out and to introduce newcomers to the space. So if anyone is interested in getting a free booth or want to throw a meetup at a booth, PM me.

A big thanks to Hester Street Fair / xCubicle / Bitpay / Bitcoin Center / APIcoin / yBitcoin in making this possible. This data and experience was definitely useful for launching another future event.
milan74

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 12:25:31 AM

For face to face transactions, confirmation time is one hurdle that i can think about.
box0211 (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:48:22 PM

It's only an issue if its a large valuable item. Small item transactions like drinks/food shouldn't be much of a concern, but it would definitely hinder adoption if vendors get ripped off and leave the btc ecosystem. solution to this is have processors foot the bill if this happens up to a certain amount of course. this can greatly help adoption if vendors feel safe with a 3rd party coming in to remedy situations.
BowieMan

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:56:55 PM

For face to face transactions, confirmation time is one hurdle that i can think about.

Nah, it really isn't that big of a problem. If you're transacting really big amounts, you have to wait for at least one confirmation, yes. But if you're doing small amounts, you're fine just making sure the transaction isn't an obvious double spend. This only takes about 10 seconds. Trusted members of some website would be stupid to try and scam someone with an attempted double-spend!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:50:47 AM

Excellent initiative! In order to keep the customers tending to pay with btc the venders must accept btc payment. Such type of events should be hold as much a possible. Not only the venders feel obligated to accept btc payment, but also the more customers will recognize the btc.
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 07:05:02 AM

Box do these vendors keep any of the BTC or do they convert 100% of it to cash with Bitpay? What would you say the average sale amount in Bitcoin was for? You mentioned food (which is cheap) to art (could be expensive?). And did vendors wait for 1 confirmation or did they accept the transaction with 0 confirmations? (I'm not familiar with the GUI of bitpay)

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
box0211 (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 08:57:17 PM

Most of the vendors initially converted it to 100% btc, but couple of weeks ago I was approached by a few that asked how to save for themselves. I provided them with paper wallets if they wanted to save some themselves.

I'd say all the vendors do not wait for any confirmation due to the fact that they don't fully understand the system. This is a security concern, but this is why a 3rd party MUST be there to mediate any issues. Bitpay has a booth there, so that helps alot on any trouble they run into. What i suggested to them was eat the cost if any vendors run into problems with transactions. this would increase vendor adoption and confidence in bitcoin knowing that there is a 3rd party to help cover any small losses.

As I noticed quite a number of times. a user would end up paying with a non-typical wallet and they didn't include the .0001 transaction fee and bitpay's POS system would hang as its missing .0001 to complete the transaction. This is a major concern for vendor adoption. I mentioned it to them, but i'm not sure if they are doing anything about it.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 09:31:21 PM

"nobody" knows about bitcoin yet, "nobody" owns bitcoin yet -  isnt this great  Cheesy ?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: