Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:49:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [applaud]/[smite] system?  (Read 18701 times)
mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 01:21:17 PM
Last edit: May 08, 2011, 01:35:20 PM by mizerydearia

I think either the advanced system or karmalog would be good so that abuse of the system can be identified.  Has anyone used a forum where this feature worked particularly well?  How was it configured and what was the social convention around it?

Edit: Leapfrogged you there, SgtSpike.  Sounds like a vote for the ARS!

All I can say is; great, now bobR is going to troll AND smite on everyone.

I agree.  abuse is fairly simple.

But how would other users know whether a minus is unjust? I don't see that the plus/minus is related to any particular post/activity/transaction. If it was then it would seem it could balance itself out as some may find a post useful and others not. From what I see it is applied to the member and I believe new users will not necessarily understand right away its purpose.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for a rating system. I think it is extremely useful for new and old members both. I just worry that it will be abused the way it operates at the moment.

If instead of the title "Reputation:" it was listed as "Helpful:" or something similar I would feel a little more at ease.

It will be difficult to determine whether a + or - was unjust, and especially in cases of one or more users using a greasemonkey script as linked above, it may be fairly difficult or spammalicious to moderate if too many users start noticeably abusing it, or even providing a not so noticeable form of abuse such as by modifying the script to include randomness in whether or not to + or - or skip altogether.

It makes sense that for such actions, there should be some sort of cost or expense.
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 02:08:18 PM

In my opinion a childish group-think game system has no place on a serious forum like this.

I pay 10 BTC for a Greasemonkey or Firefox plugin that hides the ratings completely.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 02:30:53 PM

In my opinion a childish group-think game system has no place on a serious forum like this.

I pay 10 BTC for a Greasemonkey or Firefox plugin that hides the ratings completely.

Seconded! And I have 7+/1-.

NO matter how good my reputation is, I just think it's a bad idea.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 04:56:24 PM

So I have received my first rateing and it is a -1  Huh So I gather I have no way of knowing who or why? Haven't a clue what this is about?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 05:05:06 PM

So I have received my first rateing and it is a -1  Huh So I gather I have no way of knowing who or why? Haven't a clue what this is about?
Don't worry about it. We're all getting mystery negatives. No-one is going to think bad of you for it.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 05:05:29 PM
Last edit: May 09, 2011, 04:13:02 AM by theymos

Here you go:
http://pastebin.com/5aTU768g

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 05:06:03 PM

Indeed. This "rating" system needs to be removed ASAP as it is not a useful feedback system.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 05:08:35 PM

If theymos could somehow get -3, it's proof that the ratings are broken.
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2011, 07:21:03 PM

+1 for removing the rating system.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 08:25:22 PM
Last edit: May 08, 2011, 08:37:19 PM by Vandroiy

Awesome job, correlation between intelligent posts and negative ratings established. Look at my threads on the equilibrium discussion, those supporting my opinion all got negative votes, especially those using terms like "invisible hand" and "tragedy of the commons". Read and weep, those of you who really understand economics.

I'm wearing my -2 proudly. This system behaves almost like politics; the populists get by far the majority of votes. The outcome does make the administration look a little ridiculous though, if I might add. Wink

Oh, if you want to join the troops shouting "you are wrong" at me... care to add some negative karma? It's a dilemma, to prove this post wrong, you have to add positive. But to try to drown my other arguments, you have to add negative. What do you do now, I wonder? Smiley

Edit: just wondering, is there any punishment if I reach 0/-20 or something?
kseistrup

Activity: 566

Unselfish actions pay back better

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2011, 08:35:04 PM

One problem I see with this is that people who simply disagree on a subject will start giving each other negative karma and eventually it will invalidate the helpful post they make

+1

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
kseistrup

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2011, 08:43:33 PM

I would love to see a Bitcoin NNTP sever.

I'm all for an NNTP server, too!

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
kseistrup

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2011, 08:46:21 PM

This "rating" system needs to be removed ASAP as it is not a useful feedback system.

+1

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
JA37

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 09:33:32 PM

I don't see anything positive coming from this either. I think it'll just reinforce the circle-jerk that goes on in some threads.  I frequently clash with bitcoin2cash, caveden and that-golden-apple-guy-whos-name-i-forgot on various issues, among others. I enjoy the discussions, but I'm pretty sure I'll be moderated to oblivion by those who would prefer not to see different opinions. Not saying that the guys mentioned would do so, but I do feel that I'm in a minority with my opinion here, and that might not be a good thing for my karma.  Sad

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 09:36:28 PM

I don't see anything positive coming from this either. I think it'll just reinforce the circle-jerk that goes on in some threads.  I frequently clash with bitcoin2cash, caveden and that-golden-apple-guy-whos-name-i-forgot on various issues, among others. I enjoy the discussions, but I'm pretty sure I'll be moderated to oblivion by those who would prefer not to see different opinions. Not saying that the guys mentioned would do so, but I do feel that I'm in a minority with my opinion here, and that might not be a good thing for my karma.  Sad

I booed the karma system because I thought it would lead to group-thinks and irrationality.

The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 09:51:03 PM

To be fair I don't think those guys will vote you down for disagreeing with them, they don't seem to be that type.  The rating system could be useful if people gave feedback on why they rate people, but they don't.  I've been trying to inform people why I rate them as I would want others to do the same.  But I just got a -1 and am not sure why.  Tongue  Oh well. 
jmatson

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 10:24:01 PM

I registered a new account and will not post with my normal account until this ridiculous rating system is abolished. It is sad to see that some people would go around and give everybody a -1 for no good reason.
What is even more sad is that they would have to be established forum members with more than 250 posts, so they should really know better. Angry
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 10:27:18 PM

Please give me a feature "ignore all who down-vote this person". A little like the way freetalk does it. Auto-blacklist, their posts being gone from my vision. I know this makes it less anonymous, but it would improve the quality of this forum so much.

Someone who down-votes db, asdf or epii should not get responses from me. Neither do I want to read what they produce. Auto-filtering them out would be a blessing.

This way, the feature would suddenly become awesomely useful.
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 10:38:59 PM

I registered a new account and will not post with my normal account until this ridiculous rating system is abolished. It is sad to see that some people would go around and give everybody a -1 for no good reason.
What is even more sad is that they would have to be established forum members with more than 250 posts, so they should really know better. Angry

I decided after reading this thread to do just that, but I have a good reason: To help show how out of alignment with reality it is.

I smited all the most trustworthy people I could think of, and applauded all the jerks and newbies.

bitlotto

Activity: 672

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2011, 10:43:49 PM

I decided after reading this thread to do just that, but I have a good reason: To help show how out of alignment with reality it is.

I smited all the most trustworthy people I could think of, and applauded all the jerks and newbies.

That's why I got the -1.  Cheesy

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: