Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:25:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank God, You Can Now Applaud People!  (Read 7950 times)
gigabytecoin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 12:07:57 AM

That is all.

Make good use of it folks.

It will now be easier for us all to wade through some of the BS on this forum!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2011, 12:19:01 AM

Yes--please try and treat the feature wisely people!  It will be good if we can use it as effective meta-data rather than as a joke or game.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
epii

Activity: 210
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 12:37:24 AM

Yes--please try and treat the feature wisely people!  It will be good if we can use it as effective meta-data rather than as a joke or game.
I'm curious what, in your opinion, is a wise circumstance under which to "smite" a user?  Sometimes there are people on here whose attitudes severely annoy me, and I'd like to give them a smack, but the whole smiting business seems so... unsportsmanlike or something.  When would you use it?
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2011, 12:46:56 AM

I'm curious what, in your opinion, is a wise circumstance under which to "smite" a user?  Sometimes there are people on here whose attitudes severely annoy me, and I'd like to give them a smack, but the whole smiting business seems so... unsportsmanlike or something.  When would you use it?
Well, I haven't so far.  But I might be tempted to use it for people who are repeatedly abusive to newcomers.  In any case it should definitely be used sparingly, or else it will lose meaning.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
gigabytecoin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 12:51:45 AM

IMHO... Smiting someone purely because of their attitude would be non-productive to the rest of the community.

I for one will only smite someone based on purposely incorrect/falsified information (of which I believe there is much of on this forum, in the mining section at least...) and/or engaging in other practices that are counter productive to the bitcoin community. Like DDOSing mtgox for example... If we ever figure out which members might be associated with it.
JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 01:03:35 AM

There are no official guidelines yet so the correct answer would be "whenever you feel like". Personally, I plan to freely smite people I dislike/distrust.
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 01:40:47 AM

I can imagine that smite will get out of hand. I would much prefer an applaud feature only, although I could see how that could be abused as well. Alternately and maybe better yet, if the applaud/smite feature only becomes available for ~Jr/Full Member levels or better....does it already work this way? I don't have an alternate account to try it.
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2011, 04:36:40 AM

Applaud me and I'll send you .02 BTC.
Donate me .02 BTC (138otncA6ZYKMCcPEgqPbbnBn8jtdqEpdd) and I'll applaud you.

j/k of course...I don't want to abuse this system Cheesy

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
The Script

Activity: 336

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 08:27:32 AM

I can imagine that smite will get out of hand. I would much prefer an applaud feature only, although I could see how that could be abused as well. Alternately and maybe better yet, if the applaud/smite feature only becomes available for ~Jr/Full Member levels or better....does it already work this way? I don't have an alternate account to try it.

I think it should only be available to full members and above...but then I'm already a full member so I'm probably biased.  And I'll probably get smited for this comment.   ;-)

Actually, though I think it is important for the current user base to take the rating system seriously so that newbies who come in will realize it's a serious deal and not something to toy around with. 
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 12:32:50 PM

Oh, it's already out of hand. I don't see this lasting long.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
nster

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 01:29:52 PM

I think it should only be available to full members and above...but then I'm already a full member so I'm probably biased.  And I'll probably get smited for this comment.   ;-)

Actually, though I think it is important for the current user base to take the rating system seriously so that newbies who come in will realize it's a serious deal and not something to toy around with. 

I say hero members and above Smiley

167q1CHgVjzLCwQwQvJ3tRMUCrjfqvSznd Donations are welcome Smiley Please be kind if I helped
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 02:14:15 PM

Second Smiley
JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 04:15:19 PM

Limiting it only to members that have a certain post count would be retarded as post count is not a measure of reputation. Think of Keefe for example, he is the most trusted person in the OTC web of trust but has nowhere near 500 posts here on the forum.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 04:34:27 PM
Last edit: May 05, 2011, 05:08:08 PM by rebuilder

I think it's a mistake to conflate reputation with how many people agree with what you said here on the forums. I see a lot of minuses being handed out already, and I'd hate to have people think these numbers have anything to do with how trustworthy a person is as a trade partner.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
randomguy7

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 04:48:52 PM

Limiting it only to members that have a certain post count would be retarded as post count is not a measure of reputation.

+1

Cheesy
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2011, 10:02:31 PM

Integration with the OTC web of trust would be really nice.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
ScriptGadget

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 11:46:30 PM

+1 to the idea of tying it to the OTC Web of Trust. It takes work to vote there.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 01:43:56 AM

+1 to the idea of tying it to the OTC Web of Trust. It takes work to vote there.

So... everybody who doesn't use the OTC or, like me, who stays away from IRC is out of the system... Seems fair!  Roll Eyes
The Script

Activity: 336

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 09:38:35 AM

I see you and I raise you one: Moderators only?   Wink
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 09:40:06 AM

I think it's a mistake to conflate reputation with how many people agree with what you said here on the forums. I see a lot of minuses being handed out already, and I'd hate to have people think these numbers have anything to do with how trustworthy a person is as a trade partner.

True.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: