Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 02:31:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the basic features of 2nd gen cryptocoins?  (Read 1341 times)
miramare (OP)

Activity: 1162
Merit: 568

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 02:26:42 PM

I am writing an introducing paper to cryptocurrency. I have a doubt in my mind.

"What are the basic features of 2nd gen cryptocoins compared to Bitcoin?"

or in another words:

"What are the necessary ingredients of 2nd gen crytpocoin?  What make them be 2nd-gen rather than 1st-gen?"

In your mind, how many 2nd gen coins there are so far? Which ones?
50cent_rapper
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 02:36:11 PM

I think that the most important distinction between 1-gen coins and 2-coins is that 2d gens are trying to be not just electronic coins+transfer system but an infrastructure, so that the additional applications/software can be build very easily on top of 2d gen or right into the wallet.

Second gens are: Crypti, NXT, NEM, Etherium and more...
Testing Crypto

Activity: 614
Merit: 506

Applications

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 02:39:34 PM

hmm, good question & wouldn't mind hearing a few answers on this one from the pros. I would say PoS & all other term coins started 2nd gen, but there are quite a few other things as well.. Like new algos, Anon, etc.. Would almost say that some might even say there are 3rd & maybe even 4th gen coins now too? Seeing many new features come out with every new coin launch & some added to old coins, some coins are forked from anothers & some are written from scratch I believe?

Edit: hmm, so 2nd gen coins are the online in-web wallets? I would have to agree with the new code, not a copy & that making it the next gen. Maybe even 2.1, 2.2, etc.. for the coins that only used part of the code from another coin & added new code that isn't from any other coin.

ZwNpPhVYrSrPMS71GLc7TEnbqA9VSZopGn // Gift5YapqsZqSTW8T4S3sCU4sngCkvh4ba // 3Gwc4KzVtuJ9ADnuqzF7XRhSaaE7HkBWpr // 1PAGEHrN62tgUHncGWbbhKe9jhZGXsxFC4
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi {SAT OS hi}
rabbiter

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 02:42:03 PM

I am writing an introducing paper to cryptocurrency. I have a doubt in my mind.

"What are the basic features of 2nd gen cryptocoins compared to Bitcoin?"

or in another words:

"What are the necessary ingredients of 2nd gen crytpocoin?  What make them be 2nd-gen rather than 1st-gen?"

In your mind, how many 2nd gen coins there are so far? Which ones?

Some people call coins like Mastercoin that is built ontop of the a bitcoin protocol second generation but personally I think a coin needs to have a completely new code to be true 'second generation'.

There are actually very few in my definition out in the wild though there are a bunch that are but are so much related to NXT I question how much they are new or just a re jig of the NXT code.

So new code that I know of released are:

NXT
Ripple
Qora
Exocoin?

yet to be released:
Node? Possibly just a recode of NXT.
NEM seems like a re jig of NXT, the wallet looks just like NXT but I don't really know. They claim new code.
Emunie Not sure it's still going to exist
Etherurm Corporate sponsored scam, but many will disagree with me.
Syscoin?
Crypti I'm convinced is a scam.

I'll update this list if people show it's a genuine new code.
50cent_rapper
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 02:48:57 PM

Simcoin ?
MaxDZ8

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 03:44:26 PM

In the past I would have considered 2nd gen coins have the following characteristics:
  • Algorithm: not SHA256-D
  • Block time: much faster, say 2 minutes or less
What they tried to do was to keep them accessible to miners (by changing algo) and to everyday users (10 minute block time is unacceptable for many brick-n-mortar).

In the past I would have considered LTC to be the first 2nd gen coin as they claimed to be interested in being minable by everyone. It has been shown this is not the case. LTC is in fact a "1.9" gen coin.

Most alts are in my opinion rough implementations of the 2nd gen concept. Only two surviving are perhaps VTC and MYR, and I'm not even sure VTC can make it as their way to keep it distributed, albeit effective, is not strictly a technical advancement.

MYR is technically ahead with its multi-pow approach. Perhaps it is the first true 2nd gen coin. After all, facts have shown that changing algos alone does not make a substantial difference. By contrast, multi-pow does.
rabbiter

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 03:54:53 PM

In the past I would have considered 2nd gen coins have the following characteristics:
  • Algorithm: not SHA256-D
  • Block time: much faster, say 2 minutes or less
What they tried to do was to keep them accessible to miners (by changing algo) and to everyday users (10 minute block time is unacceptable for many brick-n-mortar).

In the past I would have considered LTC to be the first 2nd gen coin as they claimed to be interested in being minable by everyone. It has been shown this is not the case. LTC is in fact a "1.9" gen coin.

Most alts are in my opinion rough implementations of the 2nd gen concept. Only two surviving are perhaps VTC and MYR, and I'm not even sure VTC can make it as their way to keep it distributed, albeit effective, is not strictly a technical advancement.

MYR is technically ahead with its multi-pow approach. Perhaps it is the first true 2nd gen coin. After all, facts have shown that changing algos alone does not make a substantial difference. By contrast, multi-pow does.

with that definition second generation coins are basically almost any coin that is not Bitcoin.

want to list them for us?

They're clones, it's not complicated.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 04:00:29 PM

• IPO Scam
  • Java
  • Java
  • IPO scam
  • 100's of sock-puppet forum accounts
  • Java
  • "Market cap" skillz
  • Java Warez
  • own exchange

note- also Java

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 04:02:05 PM

- its own blockchain (which removes XCP and Mastercoin from the list as those heavily depend on Bitcoin and can be called gen 1.1);
- 100% PoS or initial PoW stage of a few weeks/months and then PoS only block generation;
- extensible design that allows to easily add new features;
Bizmark13

Activity: 462

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 04:07:22 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2014, 04:43:23 PM by Bizmark13

I usually think of second generation cryptos as being typically proof of stake (or some modification thereof) with asset exchanges and new source code that isn't a fork of Bitcoin. First generation coins try to be coins whereas second generation coins try to be ecosystems. A good example of a second generation coin is Nxt. Some people might consider any new code coin to be second gen, however, especially those with anon features - e.g. coins like Bytecoin/Monero.

However, just because these coins are called "second generation" doesn't mean that they will replace the first generation coins. Take a look at programming languages. First generation programming languages were machine code. Second generation programming languages were assembly. Third generation programming languages replaced both the first and second gen ones except in specialized applications. Examples of third gen languages are C++, Python, and Java. Then you have fourth and fifth gen languages based on things like databases and neural networks which failed to replace the third gen but instead have their own uses and co-exist side by side.

I think that the most important distinction between 1-gen coins and 2-coins is that 2d gens are trying to be not just electronic coins+transfer system but an infrastructure, so that the additional applications/software can be build very easily on top of 2d gen or right into the wallet.

You forgot Qora, the one in your signature.
dadon
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

Pecvniate obedivnt omnia.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 04:38:46 PM

check it https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=630547.0
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 05:23:34 PM

"2ND generation" is just a vague term coined by devs to make it sound more cool. There isn't anything "next gen" when compared to Bitcoin about any of these coins. In fact I think PoS is primitive compared to PoW, and the rest are just gimmicks not really essential to develop what a cryptocurrency needs to be.

randayh

Activity: 386

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 08:40:16 PM

2nd gen has some other major function than operating as a currency.
randayh

Activity: 386

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 08:43:42 PM

3rd gen will become self aware
TheLittleDuke
Legendary

Activity: 1024
Merit: 1004

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 09:05:28 PM

3rd gen will become self aware

Ethereum

It's Better 2GIVE
https://2Give.Info
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 09:14:59 PM

notice how all those coins are not minable, not really looking forward to them...i don't like at all their distribution method(ipo shit)
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 09:17:40 PM

notice how all those coins are not minable, not really looking forward to them...i don't like at all their distribution method(ipo shit)

Etherium will be mineable, no?

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 09:29:56 PM

Well I think that most of them are just naming gimmicks '2nd generation'. Even if it's the 10th generation the chances of a coin dethroning Bitcoin are slim.
  • IPO Scam
  • Java
  • Java
  • IPO scam
  • 100's of sock-puppet forum accounts
  • Java
  • "Market cap" skillz
  • Java Warez
  • own exchange

note- also Java
This. I have watched many of these coins from the beginning and after proper research I have stayed away from most of them.
You could just start coding a coin 'from scratch' (You will definitely find similarities if it goes open source), and call it a 5th generation coin.  Roll Eyes

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
TheLittleDuke
Legendary

Activity: 1024
Merit: 1004

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 01:12:44 PM

Etherium will be mineable, no?

There's a reward mechanism built into the protocol -- I look at it more as an "infrastructure" -- and I would be willing to pay for use of the platform for some use cases just like I am willing to pay for VPS and hosting services.

It's Better 2GIVE
https://2Give.Info
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 01:22:56 PM

• IPO Scam
  • Java
  • Java
  • IPO scam