Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 11:37:31 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I right anticipating RPC trouble?  (Read 752 times)
Bungeebones (OP)

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 03:54:36 PM

I have been having problems getting RPC to work on a certain VPS to the point where I just reinstalled everything and started over. I have another installation on a smaller VPS running testnet perfectly but somewhere something got messed up on the new one (which is intended for a full bitcoin version). I can't switch the working testnet on the working VPS over to full version because the harddrive isn't big enough.

I was able to get this new one to successfully run testnet and RPC this morning. I then changed the testnet=1 to testnet=0 in the bitcoin.conf file to switch over so now I have a long wait for the blockchain to download.

So there really isn't a problem that needs fixing right now that anyone can help me with other than to ease my nerves with hopefully a good word of encouragement or some actual facts because, after I switched to running regular bitcoin from testnet in this new installation, the freakin RPC stopped working again. I am hoping it is because the block chain hasn't finished downloading.

Can someone tell me that the incomplete blockchain is the issue so I can be at peace for the next 24 hours  Grin or am I back to square one without RPC working again?

Thanks
ForgottenPassword

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 08:46:20 PM

I have been having problems getting RPC to work on a certain VPS to the point where I just reinstalled everything and started over. I have another installation on a smaller VPS running testnet perfectly but somewhere something got messed up on the new one (which is intended for a full bitcoin version). I can't switch the working testnet on the working VPS over to full version because the harddrive isn't big enough.

I was able to get this new one to successfully run testnet and RPC this morning. I then changed the testnet=1 to testnet=0 in the bitcoin.conf file to switch over so now I have a long wait for the blockchain to download.

So there really isn't a problem that needs fixing right now that anyone can help me with other than to ease my nerves with hopefully a good word of encouragement or some actual facts because, after I switched to running regular bitcoin from testnet in this new installation, the freakin RPC stopped working again. I am hoping it is because the block chain hasn't finished downloading.

Can someone tell me that the incomplete blockchain is the issue so I can be at peace for the next 24 hours  Grin or am I back to square one without RPC working again?

Thanks

Hmm. I think the RPC should work with an incomplete blockchain. I haven't tried it directly with the RPC, but I can use bitcoin-cli when the blockchain is syncing.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX
Bungeebones (OP)

Activity: 178

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 12:20:08 AM

The blockchain is two thirds to being installed and its working now. Thanks for the post. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: