Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:29:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coins unspendable until a particular date?  (Read 1139 times)
btcusury (OP)

Activity: 433
Merit: 260

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 04:13:21 PM

Say I promise 1 BTC in address X be sent to a recipient at date Y. The recipient is not yet known, but will be one of array(Z). Is there any way to create a cryptographic proof of the promise? In other words, a way to guarantee that the 1 BTC is not spent before date Y and is not sent to any address other than one in array(Z).

FACT: There were hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths by December 2020 due to the censorship of all effective treatments (most notably ivermectin) in order to obtain EUA for experimental GT spike protein injections despite spike bioweaponization patents going back about a decade, and the manufacturers have 100% legal immunity despite long criminal histories.
BowieMan

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 04:27:16 PM

I don't know if that is part of the Bitcoin core protocol (which it has to be in order to work consistently with all bitcoin nodes and miners). But it is definitely possible to postpone a transaction until a specified date or block, if I remember correctly. Could you lay out a case where your method would be more useful than the existing methods?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
bigasic

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 04:30:01 PM

I dont think that is possible with the bitcoin core. It would be available for a bitcoin wallet, like multibit. it would be fairly easily to implement, but instead of it sending the coin out, maybe just do a reminder so that you can do it manually, just in case something has changed.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 05:18:05 PM

This is kind of a cool idea though...kind of similar to a post dated check...
btcusury (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 08:09:35 PM

The cryptographic proof of the promise doesn't have to be part of the Bitcoin protocol. Could there be a way, perhaps, to use Ethereum (or anything else) to do this, simply converting whatever currency to BTC at the exchange rate at date Y?

Thanks for your input y'all.

FACT: There were hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths by December 2020 due to the censorship of all effective treatments (most notably ivermectin) in order to obtain EUA for experimental GT spike protein injections despite spike bioweaponization patents going back about a decade, and the manufacturers have 100% legal immunity despite long criminal histories.
FUR11

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 08:11:17 PM

The cryptographic proof of the promise doesn't have to be part of the Bitcoin protocol. Could there be a way, perhaps, to use Ethereum (or anything else) to do this, simply converting whatever currency to BTC at the exchange rate at date Y?

Thanks for your input y'all.

Yeah, but it would be a good thing to be part of the core protocol. All the altcoins and features of more or less centralized systems don't really help Bitcoin itself.

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 08:13:39 PM

Is there any way to create a cryptographic proof of the promise?

not in the blockchain function.
you can use a "scheduled" transfer from a virtual wallet ... but you always can cancel it, so no ... you can't schedule bitcoin transfer.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 08:14:30 PM

Say I promise 1 BTC in address X be sent to a recipient at date Y. The recipient is not yet known, but will be one of array(Z). Is there any way to create a cryptographic proof of the promise? In other words, a way to guarantee that the 1 BTC is not spent before date Y and is not sent to any address other than one in array(Z).

Using and Oracle with multisig escrow would allow this.

Xch4ng3

Activity: 661
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 08:15:12 PM

a way to guarantee that the 1 BTC is not spent before date Y

From your own wallet? I doubt it.

I'm sure if you create some kind of escrow through a web portal you could technically set up Bitcoin on a server and have it schedule transfers.

[AUTOBUY] [CHEAP] $2 Account Shop -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4611147
FUR11

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 08:16:45 PM

a way to guarantee that the 1 BTC is not spent before date Y

From your own wallet? I doubt it.

I'm sure if you create some kind of escrow through a web portal you could technically set up Bitcoin on a server and have it schedule transfers.

But that is something we definitely don't want. This is an example for something where definitely no escrow or external service is needed for it to work! This is simply something that may be incorporated into the bitcoin protocol. All the information are there and can be associated with the transaction.

hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 10:51:56 PM

I believe you can even though I haven't tried.

Transaction inputs have a 'lock time' before which it cannot be accepted into a block.
Transaction outputs are essentially a script. The most common is the pay-to-hash that allows someone to claim the coins if he provides a matching public key and digital signature. However, one can specify more complicated scripts. Armory implements what you want as a multi-sig lockbox but it doesn't have the time delay feature yet.

Regards,
--h

Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 11:43:19 PM

I think there is a "time-lock" variable in a standard transaction. I don't know if that's what it does, but it might be worth looking in to.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
btcusury (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 05:11:22 PM

Using and Oracle with multisig escrow would allow this.

Could you elaborate on this? What is an Oracle? How could multisig escrow be used to this end?

kolinko

Activity: 518
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 06:28:56 PM

Could you elaborate on this? What is an Oracle? How could multisig escrow be used to this end?

Here's a brief khan-academy style video explaination:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boPW1FwNu4c

It's a part of this tutorial:
https://github.com/orisi/wiki/wiki/Mastering-Distributed-Oracles

In short: you create a multisig address that locks the money in, and will be unlocked using one or more impartial arbiters/oracles.

The current Orisi examples assume that oracles are the only ones who sign the tx, but you could add sender/receiver's signatures to the mix to be sure that oracles won't run away with money. (it's described within the whitepaper: https://github.com/orisi/wiki/wiki/Orisi-White-Paper )
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: