Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 12:16:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Quantum Computer.  (Read 4583 times)
Thekool1s (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 05:09:54 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2014, 05:36:13 PM by Thekool1s

Guys i wanted to discuss about quantum computers, How will they affect BTC

1st thing is that these computers will be 1000s of times faster than the current super computer so my question is what will happen to the difficulty if it rises like a rocket then the price of BTC will also rise like a rocket?

2nd thing is hacking, When these computers get to the consumer market won't hacking become a problem?

Edit: One more question will this also mean the 21 million bitcoins will be made faster?

For now i have got these points i will edit as the post progresses.
cuddaloreappu

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 05:21:58 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkUpZkeqhF4

http://bitcoinmagazine.com/6021/bitcoin-is-not-quantum-safe-and-how-we-can-fix/

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=325800.0
Thekool1s (OP)
Legendary

Change is in your hands

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 05:34:17 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2014, 05:47:13 PM by Thekool1s

Youtube doesn't open in pakistan, I don't visit any site other than bitcointalk.org for bitcoin infromation and your 3rd link is also a youtube link. So even if i had searched it would have been no use.  Wink
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 05:35:43 PM

1st thing is that these computers will be 1000s of times faster than the current super computer so my question is what will happen to the difficulty if it rises like a rocket then the price of BTC will also rise like a rocket?

2nd thing is hacking, When these computers get to the consumer market won't hacking become a problem?

This is actually a well discussed topic since 2010. Just to note, if Quantum computers break bitcoin, then they'll break your online banking too. So, first worry about that.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4060
Merit: 1303

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 05:39:15 PM

Have you tried searching the forum? There is already a wealth of information available on this topic.

Youtube doesn't open in pakistan, I don't visit any site other than bitcointalk.org for bitcoin infromation and your 3rd link is also a youtube link. So even if i had searched it would have been no use.  Wink

Holliday didn't post any links, the guy above him did.  Anyway, there are literally 100s of topics on bitcointalk.org that don't involve youtube here are a few:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=153302.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=133425.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=396540.0

Thekool1s (OP)
Legendary

Change is in your hands

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 05:45:54 PM

Have you tried searching the forum? There is already a wealth of information available on this topic.

Youtube doesn't open in pakistan, I don't visit any site other than bitcointalk.org for bitcoin infromation and your 3rd link is also a youtube link. So even if i had searched it would have been no use.  Wink

Holliday didn't post any links, the guy above him did.  Anyway, there are literally 100s of topics on bitcointalk.org that don't involve youtube here are a few:

Thanks but can you answer my last question?
Koko

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:40:29 PM

Youtube doesn't open in pakistan, I don't visit any site other than bitcointalk.org for bitcoin infromation and your 3rd link is also a youtube link. So even if i had searched it would have been no use.  Wink

Can't you use a proxy?
Capt Drake

Activity: 208
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 07:33:37 PM

Even if they breake the first encryption of bitcoin, which I think it has 3, the other 2 will be strong enough for the hacker won't be able to steal your coins, however, if you send your coins to another wallet, the hacker would be able to figure your private key and then your wallet security would be compromised.
So, every time that you send your coins to an address, you'll have to send all of your coins to another one, and keep doing that forever.

That's what I've read in some article around here.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 07:33:42 PM

Thanks but can you answer my last question?

No amount of computing power will make the 21,000,000 coins come faster
because difficulty is always adjusted.

FUR11

Activity: 378

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 08:21:19 PM

Edit: One more question will this also mean the 21 million bitcoins will be made faster?

It depends whether one-way mathematical functions can be reversed. If that happens, we have a problem. Also, it isn't a question how fast quantum computers are, but rather if they are able to solve the problems needed in order to 'crack' bitcoin. If they can, we are immediately burned.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 09:52:57 PM

ok here goes

SuperMUC the super computer in germany is the equivelent of 110,000 personal computers.

how we all know from the old CPU mining days that CPU mining can only handle 5-7M/hash a second mining bitcoin.
so superMUC would be the equivalent of 550Ghash (half a terrahash)

yes that's right SuperMUC is only a half a terrahash bitcoin miner. now if a quantum computer is 1000 times that would be half a petahash

so with bitcoin hash power at 138/170 petahash's. there would still need to be about 300 quantum computers based on the 1000x the speed of SuperMUC figure given by the OP

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
FUR11

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 09:56:40 PM

ok here goes

SuperMUC the super computer in germany is the equivelent of 110,000 personal computers.

how we all know from the old CPU mining days that CPU mining can only handle 5-7M/hash a second mining bitcoin.
so superMUC would be the equivalent of 550Ghash (half a terrahash)

yes that's right SuperMUC is only a half a terrahash bitcoin miner. now if a quantum computer is 1000 times that would be half a petahash

so with bitcoin hash power at 138/170 petahash's. there would still need to be about 300 quantum computers based on the 1000x the speed of SuperMUC figure given by the OP

You are talking about a quantum computer that is running a Turing complete machine, i.e. is a multi-/all-purpose machine. If you optimize that quantum computer to do one thing (SHA256) things will look dramatically different.
Also: what if you use a quantum computer to reverse one-way mathematical functions? Goodbye, PoW....

Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 10:05:41 PM

If quantum computers really going to exist, we will need to update our crypto protocols to stronger ones(SHA-1024)?

But the same crypto technology still can be used, so we will only need some adaptation after the panic wave
FUR11

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 10:23:01 PM

If quantum computers really going to exist, we will need to update our crypto protocols to stronger ones(SHA-1024)?

But the same crypto technology still can be used, so we will only need some adaptation after the panic wave

If they really can break one-way mathematical functions, just updating to a more complex one doesn't work... It's a question of what exactly will be possible with quantum computers.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 10:31:12 PM

If they really can break one-way mathematical functions, just updating to a more complex one doesn't work... It's a question of what exactly will be possible with quantum computers.

sigh...already been discussed to death in other threads.

there is no known or even theorized quantum algo or speedup for breaking one way functions.
only ECDSA.

FUR11

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 10:36:08 PM

sigh...already been discussed to death in other threads.

there is no known or even theorized quantum algo or speedup for breaking one way functions.
only ECDSA.

Yeah: no _known_! Like I said, we'll probably be safe off, but can't be sure since something just _might_ come around the corner and prove our current systems to be flawed. It wouldn't be the first time that happened with some technology!

doubleredrolex

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

I Believe

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 11:02:04 PM

I think a lot of things will have to change when quantum computers come into existence. Im sure we will cross that bridge when we get to it. No point speculating whats going to happen when the computers don't even exist yet.
frankh13

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 12:36:46 AM

May be with 1000 that machines you can to do a 51% atack!!!
For to be serious, no. Actually on block all systems spent 10 min. at all gear power.
TinEye

Activity: 639
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 12:51:29 AM

The quantum computers you are thinking of are in realms of deep science fiction. You don't have to worry about it in the forseeable future.

By the time they come BTC might even have gone Netscape's way.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                                                                   ▄█████████                  ██████
                                                                   ███    ███                 ██   ██
         ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████    ██████████████████████   ████████▀
        ██            ▄█          █▄                 █▄          ███            █▄          █        ▄██▀
       ██            ██           ███                ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███            ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ██   █████▀
       ██   █████    ██   ████   ████   ██     ██    ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██    ██████   ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██   ████▀
      ██    █████   ██    ████   ████   ██     ██   ██          ███   ██████   ██          ██   ████▀
      ██            ██           ███   ███    ███   ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀███            ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀██   ▀▀▀████
      ███           ██▄            █   ██     ██    ██▄          █             ▀█▄          ██      ███
       █████████   ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
Giulio Prisco

Activity: 173
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 10:13:10 AM

The quantum computers you are thinking of are in realms of deep science fiction. You don't have to worry about it in the forseeable future.

Not really, they are in the realm of near-future science fiction. See http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9249721/Money_talks_and_that_s_all_quantum_maker_D_Wave_has_to_say
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: