Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:23:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cryptonote vs Darksend(  (Read 1156 times)
henryjames1003 (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 09:36:02 PM

Hello! I'm researching now about anonymity in Altcoins. Found a lot about Bitcoin troubles, Darkcoin drksend and now faced with CryptoNote.

this is the scheme of darksend:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2jbwg2u.jpg

cryptoNote: do you have some?

I found a lot about ring-signature but is it all that cryptonote is?  Grin
Could you help me to find all-in-one scheme with cryptonite and give any advantages or disadvantages of cryptonote in comparison with darkcoin?

P.S. Could you give me examples of the other anonymisation schemes using in altcoins (with altcoins example)

kbm

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 10:14:26 PM

I found a lot about ring-signature but is it all that cryptonote is?  Grin
Could you help me to find all-in-one scheme with cryptonite and give any advantages or disadvantages of cryptonote in comparison with darkcoin?

P.S. Could you give me examples of the other anonymisation schemes using in altcoins (with altcoins example)

Cryptonote has multiple differences. Most notably, it's not the bitcoin protocol. The wallet and daemon have separate API's and you can run as many wallets as you want on one computer, with one daemon open. In addition to the ring signatures, it also provides stealth addressing.

It offers you a wide range of selections on the relative strength of the anonymity you desire, and is set by a mixin count. This lets you be 'more' or 'less' anonymous based on your own choosing.

Cryptonote also offers adaptive block sizing, which means that the set block size will scale to the number of transactions that people desire.

The functionality is different as well. Rather than having to set up a config file to solo mine, you can literally just open the daemon and wallet and type 'start_mining x'. Can't get any easier than that.

All transactions in cryptonote are capable of being revealed, and proven to have happened between two addresses, with input that those two transactors must supply separately. Without that information, payments are untraceable and unlinkable.

There are no rich lists. It has superior blockchain resistance to the bitcoin protocol.

It provides a smooth emission based on block number, which means that the block reward will decrease by a miniscule amount every single block. There is no day some time in the future when your block reward will suddenly drop to half, and you won't be left at the mercy of the net hash rate determining your block subsidy.

Advantages: Lots of people are telling you its gonna be worth a whole lot some day. Trustless anonymization scheme, requiring nothing more than a transaction fee to supply such anonymity. Provides adequate protection from unknown attackers with finite resources.

Disadvantages: Takes up a lot of space, unknown if prunable - it has taken years for coin with a pruned blockchain to show up so I'm hoping for the best - see cryptonite coin. Provides little to no protection from unknown attackers with infinite resources.

Anoncoin and some other PoS types are making a grab for anonymization as well. Anoncoin is attempting to implement zerocoin.

Thanks Smiley
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 11:17:56 PM

It's very simple.

Here is my Monero address:

49VNLa9K5ecJo13bwKYt5HCmA8GkgLwpyFjgGKG6qmp8dqoXww8TKPU2PJaLfAAtoZGgtHfJ1nYY8G2 YaewycB4f72yFT6u

Here are 3 Monero blockchain explorers:

http://monerochain.info
https://minergate.com/blockchain/mro/blocks
http://chainradar.com/xmr/blocks

If you can, using any of these blockchain explorers, get my current balance on my address I will give you 10 BTC. A cryptocurrency is not private if your balance can be leaked.

To be clear: this offer expires on August 30th, 2014. I wish you all the best in your pursuit.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 11:56:49 PM

It's very simple.

49VNLa9K5ecJo13bwKYt5HCmA8GkgLwpyFjgGKG6qmp8dqoXww8TKPU2PJaLfAAtoZGgtHfJ1nYY8G2 YaewycB4f72yFT6u

-snip-
Let me show you this one more time:    
Cryptonote vs Darksend
Stop going off-topic, nobody asked about Monero.
While I like the concept that Cryptonote is based upon, I'm thinking that Darksend+ (RC4) should be better. We shall soon see this.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
cinnamon_carter
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 12:01:35 AM

i think if i was going to wager i would wager on crypto note at this point, still studying it's code,

i don't trust anything not open souce either......

i think dark is a lot more hype than reality......

one thing for sure multiple hash algorithms together are weaker than a single proof of work algorithm, that is a factor to consider as well , but maybe for the future..... still it's been proven mathematically

edit 1
if your wondering which is better from a technology standpoint for anon tx

edit 2
cryptonote is quite a while behind development of wallets to be used by most people but  if you don't mind the command line it seems to test well

edit 3

I am uncertain really, still studying the whole thing, reading other peoples analysis of the code, running some tests (on cryptonote )
may have better answers with some actual facts from code and examples in a month or two......

Check out my coin Photon
Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/

The obvious choice is not always the best choice.

LOOK DEEPER - Look into the Blake 256 Family -- CC
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 12:09:49 AM

i think if i was going to wager i would wager on crypto note at this point, still studying it's code,

one thing for sure multiple hash algorithms together are weaker than a single proof of work algorithm, that is a factor to consider as well , but maybe for the future..... still it's been proven mathematically
See you have not even done a little bit research on DRK. You should visit the testnet, there is no hype everything is being prepared for the release that is coming. Yes the code is closed source until Kristov Atlas reviews it and RC4 is released, after which it should be open source.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
iHeartSmartArt

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 01:42:41 AM

Dark is composed of some of the smartest minds in crypto. I am sure Darksend+ beats that old cryptonote system by far. That is why they made it.
They know the downfall of cryptonote system and others and is building a better coin then even bitcoin. (lets be real ,@cinamon_carter Bitcoin has all the hype.)
DRK is at its ground floor right now and cloak is a big distraction.

Compare even bit to dark you'll see DRK is a serious coin going serious high in the future for the fact that we know the creator has a financial adviser license.
Cloak Dev and most others have nothing to show for himself and not be in-charge of millions of dollars of other peoples money.
Its so early, We don't even know the Darkcoin Team's grand plan yet.

You are just in time for the first anonymous digital currency. https://darkcointalk.org/
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 02:35:15 AM

While I like the concept that Cryptonote is based upon, I'm thinking that Darksend+ (RC4) should be better. We shall soon see this.

CryptoNote is based on the application of passive cryptography to secure privacy, while DarkSend+ is based on onion routing of transactions.

Based on the history of onion routing security breaches, I'm not (and have never been) very enthusiastic about DarkCoin's model.

Ring signatures, Diffie-Hellman key exchange, and small non-interactive zero knowledge proofs have a long established history in cryptography, and I feel safer with their usage.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 03:39:10 AM

It's very simple.

-snip-
Let me show you this one more time:    
Cryptonote vs Darksend
Stop going off-topic, nobody asked about Monero.

Monero is based on the CryptoNote protocol. You know that, right? I was answering the question by demonstration (quod erat demonstrandum, as it were).

henryjames1003 (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:00:12 AM

could you give me any link on papers or articles with "math proof"?  I'm not a pro in cryptography to understand it by myself.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 10:58:49 AM

CryptoNote is based on the application of passive cryptography to secure privacy, while DarkSend+ is based on onion routing of transactions.

Based on the history of onion routing security breaches, I'm not (and have never been) very enthusiastic about DarkCoin's model.

Ring signatures, Diffie-Hellman key exchange, and small non-interactive zero knowledge proofs have a long established history in cryptography, and I feel safer with their usage.
Well there is that indeed, but that does not mean that Darksend+ is not going to work/will be breached. I'm guessing that we just have to wait a while longer for Evan and then Atlas.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 02:14:24 PM

could you give me any link on papers or articles with "math proof"?  I'm not a pro in cryptography to understand it by myself.

The original CryptoNote whitepaper is here: https://cryptonote.org/whitepaper.pdf

The CN whitepaper had not been peer reviewed, so we took that job on ourselves.

Our mathematicians and cryptographers raw (and sometimes snarky;) annotations are here: http://monero.cc/downloads/whitepaper_annotated.pdf
The review of the CN whitepaper as presented by one of our mathematicians is here: http://monero.cc/downloads/whitepaper_review.pdf

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: