Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:09:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: question on best pooling slush or btcguild  (Read 1371 times)
nocroom (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 10:04:02 PM
Last edit: August 08, 2014, 01:38:45 PM by ckolivas

i keep going from one to the other, cant seem to find the best home

im running 2th/s 5 s3's, can someone give me some input of your pooling system you use and why

Check out this blog if you want free bitcoins https://bitcoinvest.cc/how-to-get-free-bitcoins-fast
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 03:21:11 AM

What's "shash"? I can't figure out if you mean Slush or GHash. I'm my opinion, BTCGuild is better than both. It's probably the most stable, reliable pool with a very attentive and honest pool op.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 01:57:41 PM

LOL... I've got to assume OP means GHash vs BTCGuild.  Given those two options only, I pick BTCGuild any day of the week.  Why?  Eluthria has been very active on the boards, he's up front about the way his pool works and he's taken actual steps to ensure his pool doesn't get to 51% of the network's hashing power.  The other guys have done pretty much the opposite.  They have admittedly done a 51% attack in the past.  They have approached and surpassed 51% again since then, and their only action is to send out random tweets/posts asking miners to please move their hardware someplace else.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
nocroom (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 06:27:25 PM

LOL... I've got to assume OP means GHash vs BTCGuild.  Given those two options only, I pick BTCGuild any day of the week.  Why?  Eluthria has been very active on the boards, he's up front about the way his pool works and he's taken actual steps to ensure his pool doesn't get to 51% of the network's hashing power.  The other guys have done pretty much the opposite.  They have admittedly done a 51% attack in the past.  They have approached and surpassed 51% again since then, and their only action is to send out random tweets/posts asking miners to please move their hardware someplace else.

meant slash, ok im sticking to btcguild thanks

Check out this blog if you want free bitcoins https://bitcoinvest.cc/how-to-get-free-bitcoins-fast
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 07:16:44 PM

meant slash, ok im sticking to btcguild thanks
What is "slash" pool then?  The big pools are GHash.io, BTCGuild, Discus Fish, Eligius, Slush.  First you asked about shash and now slash...

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
nocroom (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:20:50 PM

slush, hopes i got it right but im sure you knew what i meant.

thanks

Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:23:27 PM

Well if the NY State regulations do go into effect then BTC Guild will cease to exist, so if you mine there make sure you have auto payments set and don't use the pool as a bank.  Eleuthria is the pool op and has the community's trust, but should the gov decide to shut the pool down on a whim your coins may not fare well.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 07:49:40 PM

slush, hopes i got it right but im sure you knew what i meant.

thanks
Well if I knew I wouldn't have asked Smiley.  I don't have enough experience on slush's pool to compare.  I know the payout schemes are different... Sorry I can't help you more.

Bitsaurus brings up a good point.  BTCGuild has publicly stated they would close up shop if certain regulations come into play.

jjc326

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:52:52 PM

If you were going to go full time at slush it seems pretty good.  I only went part time there (at night) so it was rough because they score based on when you found your last block so if you have a faster hash rate you should succeed there.  And everything was on the up and up in terms of communication, as far as I recall.
nocroom (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:20:15 PM

If you were going to go full time at slush it seems pretty good.  I only went part time there (at night) so it was rough because they score based on when you found your last block so if you have a faster hash rate you should succeed there.  And everything was on the up and up in terms of communication, as far as I recall.

may i ask, what pooling system you use now?

xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 01:49:36 AM

Well if the NY State regulations do go into effect then BTC Guild will cease to exist, so if you mine there make sure you have auto payments set and don't use the pool as a bank.  Eleuthria is the pool op and has the community's trust, but should the gov decide to shut the pool down on a whim your coins may not fare well.

I believe he's stated that he would give ample notice if he were to close the pool... 30 or 45 days, something like that.

Personally if I were the owner of BTCGuild, I'd just move to a less restrictive country. You know he has to have some serious cash/bitcoin.  Wink
Bitsaurus

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 05:22:43 AM

Well if the NY State regulations do go into effect then BTC Guild will cease to exist, so if you mine there make sure you have auto payments set and don't use the pool as a bank.  Eleuthria is the pool op and has the community's trust, but should the gov decide to shut the pool down on a whim your coins may not fare well.

I believe he's stated that he would give ample notice if he were to close the pool... 30 or 45 days, something like that.

Personally if I were the owner of BTCGuild, I'd just move to a less restrictive country. You know he has to have some serious cash/bitcoin.  Wink

Eleuthria would give 30 or 45 days notice.  I doubt law enforcement agencies give you a heads up ahead of time so things could easily go sour quickly if a Senator happens to be moody that day  Cheesy
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2014, 08:36:45 PM

I think slush is better than btcguild, there's been some shenanigans over at btcguild earlier this year. I moved my farm away from them and never looked back.
zetaray

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 08:56:55 PM

I briefly mined at both pools before. I like the how btcguild is run professionally, but recent luck is killing miners. Slush is buggy when I was there, but is good if you have a high hash rate.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
Bitsaurus

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 12:53:28 AM

I think slush is better than btcguild, there's been some shenanigans over at btcguild earlier this year. I moved my farm away from them and never looked back.

I can't fault a pool OP for some malfeasance one of the users was doing.  Similarly Eligius was the target of "shenanigans" but again the pool should not be blamed for bad users.

I started mining on Slush back in 2011 and then moved to BTC Guild.  I tried slush again for a 2 week period in 2013 and had a bad result.  Slush was not responding to user queries for over 1 month and I lost over 2BTC due to errors in the scoring system - he never bothered to respond to my PMs - something that you would never see with some other pool OPs like Graet of Ozcoin or Eluthria of BTC Guild.
goose20
Legendary

Activity: 1173
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 08:12:50 AM

i mined on both Slush and BTCGuild back in the day.

I had more luck/succes on BTCGuild.

Slush rewarded loyalty, but if you left, your remaining shares became worthless.
IMO a share is a share and should not be worth zero.
nocroom (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 01:30:53 PM

Slush rewarded loyalty, but if you left, your remaining shares became worthless.

I noticed you said both back in the days, what you use now if you don't mind me asking?

goose20
Legendary

Activity: 1173
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 01:44:44 PM

I noticed you said both back in the days, what you use now if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mine anymore. Switched off and sold off many months ago now.
Just couldn't compete with the big players and soaring difficulty increases.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2014, 02:18:53 PM

i keep going from one to the other, cant seem to find the best home

im running 2th/s 5 s3's, can someone give me some input of your pooling system you use and why
Have you considered other pools?  I named a few in my previous posts, but left out the one on which I mine: p2pool.  It works a bit differently than traditional pools like BTCGuild, Slush, GHash.io, etc.  There is no central pool on which you must register.  You can either run a node yourself, or find a node close to you and mine there.  Your user name is a wallet address to which you want coins paid.  As you find shares, each gets added to the share chain, and when somebody finds a block, you get brand new minted coins direct from the generation transaction based upon how many shares you've got on the chain.

Like I wrote, it's different from your other pools.  Primarily, share difficulty is pretty high, so variance plays a larger role.  In a "regular" pool, you submit lots of shares and get lots of small payouts.  There's a great comparison thread showing the payouts received from p2pool vs Eligius vs BTCGuild here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=416933.0.  Check it out.  Also, check out the official p2pool thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=18313.0.

nocroom (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 03:33:44 AM

meaning you use slush now full time?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: