Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:04:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much bandwith is my Antminer S3 using?  (Read 6193 times)
GrandMasterB (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 12:41:18 AM

I'm pool mining. Is there a way to tell how much is going in and out of my router or at least the miner itself?

The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 11:42:30 AM

Bandwidth for mining is very minimal - less than dialup levels.  You can use a program like DUMeter to measure up and down streams on a USB based miner but not on an S3 specifically.
GrandMasterB (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 01:48:04 PM

Ok great. I was lookimg at some old posts where people had 300mh - 5gh saying they up/down 5.5 and 3.5 gb /day respectively.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 01:59:46 PM

Netlimiter will give you the info you want along even with charts and a tally of how much bandwidth any application is using by day, week, month, or year. (the trial version does all that, IIRC)

Bandwidth used will be mostly dependent on relative share difficulty selected by the pool. If shares are "easy," the pool's stats will be more accurate within a small time frame (less variance), but it can be receiving and transmitting significant amounts of data unnecessarily. It "shouldn't" be eating up more than maybe 50MB/day, and likely far less than that.

ETA: You can reduce the amount of wasted data transmitted by either being your own pool (or set up Proxy Pool, though I think that isn't maintained anymore) so the pool will send you a few "hard" shares rather than sending a ton of "easy" shares to each individual miner you're running. With some pools, they tie share transmittal to worker names, so if you have all your miners using the same worker name, they'll all get the same hard share since it detects you have, say, 5TH/s rather than 500GH/s. (and this shouldn't significantly affect your earnings)
GrandMasterB (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 05:22:51 PM

So long story short, I'm looking at a mobile Mifi for the miners. I should be getting my second S3 tomorrow. This is why I'm so concerned about transfer size. There's virtually no unlimited plans and they have hidden throttling etc.

I'm headed down to T-mobile at lunch to discuss the plan. They seem the most reasonable. It is seriously hard to Google wireless plans. All the comparisons are from 2012-mid 2013 and on each site the plans contain different tidbits for each plan for the same carrier!

Hopefully I'll be up to 880GH/s tomorrow.
Super Bitcoin

Activity: 13

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 05:56:52 PM

i think thats all about psu electricity . not to about bandwith .
good luck with your mining plan.
GrandMasterB (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 06:18:53 PM

Free Electricity, but not wifi.
Bitsaurus

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:35:30 PM

Don't worry about the bandwidth throttling as even 20 miners still won't saturate even a 3G connection.  The issue would be latency.  If you're getting more than 1% stales then either try another pool to see if the issue resolves or you might consider getting a dedicated land connection if it's cheap.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 09:36:29 AM

So long story short, I'm looking at a mobile Mifi for the miners. I should be getting my second S3 tomorrow. This is why I'm so concerned about transfer size. There's virtually no unlimited plans and they have hidden throttling etc.

I'm headed down to T-mobile at lunch to discuss the plan. They seem the most reasonable. It is seriously hard to Google wireless plans. All the comparisons are from 2012-mid 2013 and on each site the plans contain different tidbits for each plan for the same carrier!

AFAIK, Sprint is the only carrier which doesn't have extremely harsh bandwidth caps and does actually have an unlimited data plan at a reasonable price (with "Framily," the price can become ridiculously low). They also don't seem particularly interested in cracking down on unauthorized tethers. The downside is that the actual bandwidth put out by their towers is iffy, esp. outside large cities. On both 3G and 4G, it's a good day when I can reliably get over 100kb/s. -But if you're constantly using a small-moderate amount of bandwidth (mining, full-node syncing), it's the only way to go, really.
GrandMasterB (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 06:43:50 PM

AFAIK, Sprint is the only carrier which doesn't have extremely harsh bandwidth caps and does actually have an unlimited data plan at a reasonable price (with "Framily," the price can become ridiculously low). They also don't seem particularly interested in cracking down on unauthorized tethers. The downside is that the actual bandwidth put out by their towers is iffy, esp. outside large cities. On both 3G and 4G, it's a good day when I can reliably get over 100kb/s. -But if you're constantly using a small-moderate amount of bandwidth (mining, full-node syncing), it's the only way to go, really.

I'm in OC and using T-Mobile (Sprint network). It's pretty decent. I had a drop in anaheim briefly for data yesterday but that happened with Verizon as well. Getting near Disney seems to mess with phones.

I'm going to get a 5gb hotspot and I'll measure my usage. Once you hit 5gb it goes down to 2g so I'll expect more fails if I hit it. The phone itself is the unlimited data plan. It allows a 5gb hotspot on my phone. If I'm high on my usage what I can do is just use the phone's hotspot for the 50hrs/week I'll be around the miners. That should be more than enough.
Bitsaurus

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 01:49:36 AM

I'm in OC and using T-Mobile (Sprint network). It's pretty decent. I had a drop in anaheim briefly for data yesterday but that happened with Verizon as well. Getting near Disney seems to mess with phones.

I'm going to get a 5gb hotspot and I'll measure my usage. Once you hit 5gb it goes down to 2g so I'll expect more fails if I hit it. The phone itself is the unlimited data plan. It allows a 5gb hotspot on my phone. If I'm high on my usage what I can do is just use the phone's hotspot for the 50hrs/week I'll be around the miners. That should be more than enough.

Both Tmobile and Verizon have interference issues near Disneyland (probably from the high power lines).  I can never get any data sent on either network when standing outside the entrance.
GrandMasterB (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 02:04:00 AM

It's the Disney "Thought bubble" which keeps negativity from escaping so people keep coming back to pay $100 to buy a tiny $9 hamburger for their kid.  Grin
GrandmaJean

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 02:07:31 AM

If you are using stratum you should use very little. Stratum is designed to use very little bandwidth and the amount generally will not increase with your increased hashpower.
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2014, 04:01:10 AM

I'm pool mining. Is there a way to tell how much is going in and out of my router or at least the miner itself?

You basically have to look at your firewall/router to see the traffic. What I've found is that that for strattum / bitcoin, every 1 Th/s of mining equaled an average of 5.21 kbps inbound and 4.41 kbps outbound.
ravin

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 10:55:05 AM

You basically have to look at your firewall/router to see the traffic. What I've found is that that for strattum / bitcoin, every 1 Th/s of mining equaled an average of 5.21 kbps inbound and 4.41 kbps outbound.

If it's s3, you can log into S3 web interface and it will tell you how much data it is transferring. Afterall, s3 controller is a router by iteself :-)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: