Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 09:20:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a better option than coinbase?  (Read 2523 times)
BTCgraphics (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:26:20 PM

So today i really needed to make a purchase with bitcoin. Last week i changed my cell phone number. To be able to send bitcoins from coin base/login/do anything on their website i have to confirm a SMS they send. so when attempting to send bitcoins, i was unable to confirm the SMS obviously.

So i go to account settings to change my phone number, Unfortunately your not able to do so without confirming a SMS on a phone.... i no longer have. So i go through a long process of typing in my information and confirming my email. And they send me this email after:

We're reviewing your request to change your phone from (+1) xxx-xxx-xxxx to (+1) xxx-xxx-xxxx.
For security this process takes about 2 business days. Currently, there's about 97 hours remaining. We cannot speed up this process.

Long story short, there has to be a better option, if anyone knows another website i would appreciate it.

I get that they're trying to be more secure, but i don't store coins on coinbase anyways so that's not really a concern of mine. I just need somewhere better to buy them. Thanks.
Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:33:17 PM

For security this process takes about 2 business days. Currently, there's about 97 hours remaining. We cannot speed up this process.

Wait what? How long is a business day in the US?
Koko

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:41:28 PM

Wait what? How long is a business day in the US?

That does seem a bit long. Maybe he has to wait until Monday?
CJYP

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:41:56 PM

If your bank account is linked to coinbase, it still needs to be secure. Otherwise someone can hack your coinbase account and withdraw money from your bank account as bitcoins - and once they do, they'll transfer the bitcoin to an address they own. Bitcoin transactions are irreversible. Checkmate.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:44:07 PM

Someone on Reddit said Circle was amazing.  

No wait times, easy interface, professional execution, etc.  

I know there's a group of people in the BTC community who have temper tantrums about Circle, but if I don't have to wait a fucking week for my Bitcoins to be available, I will switch tomorrow.

Or today.  

Disclaimer:  I havent even been to the circle website yet.  Just was reading Reddit recently.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Bogleg

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:05:08 PM

Use localbitcoin if you don't want to wait for bank verification.
CJYP

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:05:39 PM

Someone on Reddit said Circle was amazing.  

No wait times, easy interface, professional execution, etc.  

I know there's a group of people in the BTC community who have temper tantrums about Circle, but if I don't have to wait a fucking week for my Bitcoins to be available, I will switch tomorrow.

Or today.  

Disclaimer:  I havent even been to the circle website yet.  Just was reading Reddit recently.

-B-

Good luck getting an invite tomorrow.
justforbtc

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 05:54:21 AM

localbitcoin is good for small volume trade, not large volume. And the prices offered are not good comparing with bitstamp/bitfinex/btc-e
Bogleg

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:32:41 AM

localbitcoin is good for small volume trade, not large volume. And the prices offered are not good comparing with bitstamp/bitfinex/btc-e

You will run into different kind of problems when doing large volume.

Your bank will do a check and might file a suspicious activity report on you.
LakeBTC

Activity: 903
Merit: 1000

LakeBTC.com

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 04:54:44 AM

So today i really needed to make a purchase with bitcoin. Last week i changed my cell phone number. To be able to send bitcoins from coin base/login/do anything on their website i have to confirm a SMS they send. so when attempting to send bitcoins, i was unable to confirm the SMS obviously.

So i go to account settings to change my phone number, Unfortunately your not able to do so without confirming a SMS on a phone.... i no longer have. So i go through a long process of typing in my information and confirming my email. And they send me this email after:

We're reviewing your request to change your phone from (+1) xxx-xxx-xxxx to (+1) xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Long story short, there has to be a better option, if anyone knows another website i would appreciate it.

I get that they're trying to be more secure, but i don't store coins on coinbase anyways so that's not really a concern of mine. I just need somewhere better to buy them. Thanks.

Well, it's all about the balance between security and convenience. Different exchanges/wallets choose to implement different security measures, but ultimately, any trustworthy bitcoin business will not alter the process and compromise security.

LakeBTC implements a set of risk management and internal control processes to safeguard users' fund and personal data. From time to time our customer support got complaints asking, why do I have to confirm this, why do I have to wait for human approvals etc.

But people have to realize, all bitcoin transactions are final and irreversible. Once the money is sent, it's gone forever. You don't want to login to your account and find all your coins get sent to an unknown address and come to us: hey, it was not me! it was a hacker!! At the very minimum, email is NOT safe at all. Numerous bitcoin hacking incidents started from compromised email accounts.

Security, liquidity, and service are three things that make LakeBTC stand out of the crowd, and security is Number One. We do everything in our power to protect users' fund and sensitive data against theft and fraud. In addition to financial risk management and extra sms confirmations, we manually review each withdrawals for login history, trading activities, funding status, and pattern to minimize the loss caused by intruders. In the meantime, we also work hard to cut the average processing time to 30 minutes during business hours.

LakeBanker: Free Banking for the World     LakeBanker.com   Token Sale. Participate Now!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: