Bitcoin Forum
July 10, 2024, 11:46:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 and CGminer  (Read 2480 times)
shayr (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 08:22:35 PM

Hello all, my first post, I'm excited  Grin

I have a laptop with the aforementioned GPU unit, and was pulling my hair out trying to get CGminer to
recognise the card.

I have seen topics about it, but never a definite solution. After about two days (ok, I admit, not that much), I finally
managed to do it.

Here's how: obviously the OpenCL SDK is needed for it to work, the question was, how? There are so many versions,
and some graphic cards need older versions. So, here is what you have to do:

1. Get the driver from your laptop manufacturer (e.g. Dell, HP, etc.)
2. Uninstall your driver then reboot.
3. Get the AMD APP SDK versison 2.7 - IMPORTANT!
4. Install the driver, if it asks to reboot, say no.
5. Install the SDK you downloaded, then when it finishes reboot.
6. Open CGminer, it should now recognise the card.

Here's the link to version 2.7 OpenCL (both for 32 and 64 bit systems):
http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/opencl-zone/amd-accelerated-parallel-processing-app-sdk/download-archive/

The last two links are version 2.7 for windows.

Hope it helped someone.

Have a great day all.
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:28:17 PM

nice to see you got it working but any mining on a laptop is asking for trouble. laptops struggle to keep the extreme amount of heat away from the important components and just literally cook themsleves to death.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:48:46 PM

You are asking for trouble GPU mining with laptop.  Do some ROI and it most likely will be a loss, if you get anything it will be small with 1 card.

I highly suggest if your wanting to mine getting a proper miner.  Also you can just buy bitcoins if you don't want to mine.  A laptop can mine..... but many like me will tell you it's asking for trouble doing it.
shayr (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 09:07:25 PM

I know. I am just starting and don't have a lot of money, I just wanted to get it to work
to see if I configured the client correctly, as with CPU mining you can't even see if it works.

Also, I use software to see the load on the GPU and have used the --intensity d clause. The load is
usually around 80% use chrome and other non-gpu intensive programs. The hashrate is actually 14 MH/s
on average, which is more than I expected.

Anyway, right now I just do it for fun and to learn the "business", but money is tight right now. During the night when
I don't use the computer I can crank up the intensity up to 6 and it goes as high as 18 MH/s with a load of 90%.

I agree with all your statements, but I do think it is good to learn how to actually mine, because it does have some
hashrate.

Cheers  Smiley
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:25:21 PM

I know. I am just starting and don't have a lot of money, I just wanted to get it to work
to see if I configured the client correctly, as with CPU mining you can't even see if it works.

Also, I use software to see the load on the GPU and have used the --intensity d clause. The load is
usually around 80% use chrome and other non-gpu intensive programs. The hashrate is actually 14 MH/s
on average, which is more than I expected.

Anyway, right now I just do it for fun and to learn the "business", but money is tight right now. During the night when
I don't use the computer I can crank up the intensity up to 6 and it goes as high as 18 MH/s with a load of 90%.

I agree with all your statements, but I do think it is good to learn how to actually mine, because it does have some
hashrate.

Cheers  Smiley

is it really worth messing a laptop up when you can buy something like
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antminer-U1-USB-ASIC-Bitcoin-Miner-1-6Gh-s-2-2Gh-s-Blue-/221509598111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3393003b9f
which might i add is over 100x faster than your laptop and still not going to make its money back. there worth it for a started to get down the basics
also do some poking around you can find them for half the price when they turn up on here

shayr (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 09:35:43 PM

I do agree, but I am not worried about overheating as I monitor it closely. Another thing is that this is an
old laptop that I don't use a lot.

As for miners such as the one you posted, I've seen them, but I live in Italy and sometimes the shipping rates people put
on this stuff are outrages and make the whole deal not worth it.

I will probably go for it if I find it cheap, don't mind buying a used one. I've also seen contracts from people for mine power,
such as 1TH/s for 4 hours 5 euros or so. You sound like you know your mining, what do you think about this kind of offers?

(they will mine to a pool of your choice).

Thanks for all the advise Smiley
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:46:31 PM

I do agree, but I am not worried about overheating as I monitor it closely. Another thing is that this is an
old laptop that I don't use a lot.

As for miners such as the one you posted, I've seen them, but I live in Italy and sometimes the shipping rates people put
on this stuff are outrages and make the whole deal not worth it.

I will probably go for it if I find it cheap, don't mind buying a used one. I've also seen contracts from people for mine power,
such as 1TH/s for 4 hours 5 euros or so. You sound like you know your mining, what do you think about this kind of offers?

(they will mine to a pool of your choice).

Thanks for all the advise Smiley

mining contracts are good but i personal like owning and running my own gear. (gives me something to do)
the best 2 at the moment are
PBmining
Cex.io

you buy btc and then use BTC to buy GH/s of mining power you mine on there inhouse pools (better as its maintained by them)
i use Cex.io and go on a faucet run (land of bitcoin link below) and invest it all back into mining faucets are very boring bit you do earn a little bit from it and some of them need so little effort there well worth it

as for mining with your own stuff your not going to make profit unless you have alot of know how and a very large amount of money. even then its very very hard.
if you want to buy a small device have a look for EU seller it will take a bit longer but it will save you alot on shipping.

also its not the parts you can monitor on a laptop that you worry about its the parts you cant monitor such a VRMs which always run hot add the extra strain of mining and the fact there little circulation in a laptop your asking for trouble.

shayr (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 09:53:44 PM

also its not the parts you can monitor on a laptop that you worry about its the parts you cant monitor such a VRMs which always run hot add the extra strain of mining and the fact there little circulation in a laptop your asking for trouble.

Yes, that is true. I don't really use it a lot, I only wanted to see if I actually configured the mining client correctly. I don't really use it too much for mining.

As for cex.io and PBmining I heard about them. I was actually talking about contracts from private people on eBay, like they will use their equipment for you
for a set time, but on a pool of your choice.

Also, sorry to ask so many questions, but do you think anminers on aliexpress can be trusted to be the real thing?

cheers, thanks for all the help Smiley
asganauei

Activity: 41

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:55:41 PM

Don't mine if you are expecting any profit, mining with a laptop will only make you waste your time.
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 10:00:26 PM

Yes, that is true. I don't really use it a lot, I only wanted to see if I actually configured the mining client correctly. I don't really use it too much for mining.

As for cex.io and PBmining I heard about them. I was actually talking about contracts from private people on eBay, like they will use their equipment for you
for a set time, but on a pool of your choice.

Also, sorry to ask so many questions, but do you think anminers on aliexpress can be trusted to be the real thing?

cheers, thanks for all the help Smiley

aliexpress has been around a while and never heard anything bad about them and they have a forum profile anminers dosnt ring a bell but your probably going to get hammerd on shipping

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: