Bitcoin Forum
October 09, 2024, 10:21:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 28.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PechaKucha: 20 answers to the question "What is bitcoin?"  (Read 1168 times)
coin.cat (OP)

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 09:21:33 AM
Last edit: August 08, 2014, 09:59:33 AM by coin.cat

The local PechaKucha organizer wanted a talk about Bitcoin. PechaKucha is an event with presentations of 20 slides lasting 20 seconds each.

I always thought that Bitcoin is many different things. So I tried to give 20 answers to the question "What is Bitcoin?"

The slides with the answers are here:
http://jaume.barcelo.cc/slides/2014-08-08-bitcoin-pechakucha.html#1

Edit: Hit the spacebar or use the arrows to move between slides.

Barcelona Bitcoin Community: http://meetup.com/bitcoin-barcelona
                                                                        BM-2cUJchq3LjbqBzw8X854CBVZ2feJc7dyR9
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 09:29:03 AM

Cheesy not working, man ...
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 09:44:34 AM

Me too , you'd better post the content to here

Michael Jackson

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 09:46:53 AM

they will not know the real about bitcoin . they not follow cryptogrpahy as well.
coin.cat (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 09:53:14 AM
Last edit: August 08, 2014, 07:27:53 PM by coin.cat

Me too , you'd better post the content to here

Mmm it works for me on ubuntu chromium and firefox. Also on my android device. Use the arrows (or slide your finger on the android screen) to move from one slide to the next. I used "remark" to create the slides.

Anyway, this is the raw content in markdown Smiley

(Edited to include the correction pointed by remotemass, franky1, logger)

# PechaKucha: 20 answers to the question "What is Bitcoin?"

jaume at satoshi dot cat

(Hit the spacebar or the arrow keys to move to the next slide)

CC-BY

Thanks to BCT users: remotemass, franky1, logger

---

# Hobby

* There is no limit to the amount of time you can waste when you get into Bitcoin
* It can be highly addictive. It can completely take over your life. Better take it easy.

---

# P2P Network

* Bitcoin is a P2P internet network, just like bittorrent.
* The nodes connect to each other to exchange information.
* Resilient. Difficult to censor.

---

# Community

* It is a community-driven project.
* Some smart guys designing the architecture in public forums.
* Everyone can participate: code, mine, offer services, teach, or just be a fan.

---

# Currency

* In some ways, it is like money.
* Money that you can use on the internet.
* You can buy stuff, pay for services and make donations.
* A global internet currency that you can change for local currencies.

---

# Internet technology

* Just like email, IRC or the web, Bitcoin exists in the internet.
* It is available wherever there is internet.

---

# Protocol

* There is a set of rules or *protocol* for those that want to be part of the game.
* If you don't follow the rules, you are not in Bitcoin.
* The rules are set and enforced by the community in a somewhat meritocratic way.

---

# Software

* Bitcoin is free libre open source software.
* You can utilise existing code to make an alternative coin.
* You can audit the code and contribute.

---

# Consensuated Distributed Database

* All the full nodes share all the transactions of the history of Bitcoin.
* They all agree in the same history.
* Consensus is reached by voting with *work*.

---

# A Blockchain

* The transactions are organized in blocks.
* The blocks are organized in a chain.
* A new block is added every 10 minutes approximately.

---

# A mining lottery

* The miner that finds the block is rewarded with coins.
* It is a lottery in which the chances of winning are proportional to the hashrate of the miner.
* The miners keep the network secure with their work.

---

# A coin generation algorithm

* The supply of money is known by everyone in advance.
* Currently 25 new fresh coins are generated every 10 minutes.
* The coin generation rate halves every four years.
* Some 21,000,000 coins will be generated in total.

---

# A decentralized economy

* There is no central entity that controls Bitcoin.
* The control is distributed and in the hands of the community.
* It is our money. And we control it.

---

# Payment method

* It is a payment method that cannot be censored.
* I can send money to Iran or to WikiLeaks, no matter what goverments or banks say. No one can stop me.
* You don't need a bank account or passport. No paperwork or registration.
* Just internet connections. Even robots can have bitcoins and make payments.
* Non-reversible. When a payment goes into the blockchain, there is no way to take it out of there.

---

# A transaction graph

* The outputs of a transaction are the inputs of another transactions.
* It is possible to follow the money and make connections as all the information is public.
* The Bitcoin addresses pariticipating in the transactions are pseudonymous.

---

# A secure time-stamping system

* We know when each transaction occurred.
* The depth in the blockchain reveals the order in which all the transactions have occurred.
* You can use it for other stuff, such as to prove that you did your homework in time.

---

# Public-Private key pairs

* Bitcoin uses well known cryptography
* Elliptic Curve Cryptography is used for key generation.
* Transactions send money to public keys and private keys are needed to spend those outputs.

---

# Market roller coaster

* Bitcoin is traded for other currencies in markets.
* The prices change quite a bit because other currencies are not very stable.
* The price of the dollar dropped some 98% compared to bitcoin in 2013.

---

# Original paper

* The original paper and the first implementation were produced by Satoshi Nakamoto.
* Satoshi chose to remain anonymous.

---

# Ongoing work

* Bitcoin is continuously evolving.
* There are some open challenges such as the growing size of the blockchain.

---

# Experiment

* Bitcoin is an experiment and no one knows how it will end.
* So far it has kind of worked for some years.
* Join us and be part of it!

TheTruth4

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 11:00:55 AM

Hope    PechaKuchas in other countries will pick up bitcoin theme
remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 1122
Merit: 1017

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2014, 12:06:27 PM

I liked it.
Note that you missed a letter ("d") in one of the words ("an("d")") of the last slide.

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 4743

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 12:19:37 PM

i liked it, but as i always seem to do, i like to straighten out inconsistancies and issues.... and as such:

# Software

* Bitcoin is free libre open source software.
* You can fork it and make your own coins.
* You can audit the code and contribute.

forking is the act of taking the current history of the block chain, and moving it in a different direction. (basically the new blocks that are different to the main chain after the fork but contain the true history of the prefork). maybe its better to say "you can utilise existing code to make alternative coin"

as that whole line makes it sound that bitcoin is insecure and bitcoin can be manipulated by a single person to produce billions of true bitcoins. where it should read as anyone can make their own altcoin based on a copy of bitcoins protocol code that has been customised.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
logger

Activity: 138

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 12:35:28 PM

Nice. Didn't proof read the whole lot, but slide 20 should be Ongoing work (add the g). Slide 21 should be 'is an experiment, no one knows how it will turn out'

Some of it is also very technical if you're pitching this to newbies.
Overall nice!
coin.cat (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 01:02:00 PM

Thanks remotemass, franky1, logger for the corrections Smiley

It was not my idea to provide introductory material, as one of my friends has already a presentation for that. I wanted to give 20 different answers to the question "What is Bitcoin?"

I hope it can be used to start a discussion and listen to different points of view.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 4743

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 01:11:40 PM

Thanks remotemass, franky1, logger for the corrections Smiley

It was not my idea to provide introductory material, as one of my friends has already a presentation for that. I wanted to give 20 different answers to the question "What is Bitcoin?"

I hope it can be used to start a discussion and listen to different points of view.

i know you dont intend it to be OFFICIAL intro material. but anyone new to bitcoin reading it 'could' be UNOFFICIALLY educated by you, which if incorrect 'could' leave users with more questions than answers.

plus there is no OFFICIAL intro. as your own words say anyone can get involved. so even your slide could be used.

which, with saying that. overall your slides are atleast above average and useful in many ways hence me prefering to help tweak it. rather than dismissing it.

even if i do prefer to criticize rather than congratulate. overall you done a good job. its just simple, straight to the point, no geeky-techno waffle.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
coin.cat (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 02:13:26 PM

i know you dont intend it to be OFFICIAL intro material. but anyone new to bitcoin reading it 'could' be UNOFFICIALLY educated by you, which if incorrect 'could' leave users with more questions than answers.

Yes. Thanks for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated Smiley This is not intended to be stand-alone material. Just some warming up to trigger questions. I hope that after the quick presentation there is time for discussion, address open questions and talk about the aspects that catch attention of the participants.

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 03:11:11 PM

# Software
* You can fork it and make your own coins.

forking is the act of taking the current history of the block chain,

Long before bitcoin existed, the open source community has used the term 'fork', to refer to the act of creating a new code base that is mostly a clone of an existing code base. The use of fork is accordingly proper.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
coin.cat (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 07:31:51 PM

Translate
Good info info like this deserves to be on display here, according to the purpose of our forum is to give knowledge to us who want to know bitcoin

Thanks Icardi09.  Would you mind editing your previous post to remove my email address? I posted it here by mistake and I don't want it to be available to spammers.

NotAtOld

Activity: 200

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 07:04:45 AM

i first read "Pikachu" ...gg
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: