Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 01:26:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet Encryption Password,  (Read 2082 times)
rhkazani1 (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:10:22 PM

Let's say I encrypted my wallet with a password "123456" and I kept the same password for 2 months. I then somehow realized that my wallet is hacked, or I had a trojan/malware or some one might have my wallet.dat, I plan to change my password to "98765".

Lets say someone hacked my wallet before I changed the password, So what password is now effective? Is 123456 or 98765? Which password does he need to get the coins?
BTMan

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

BTMan

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:11:01 PM

what?

ANN Monitor System http://ann.ymq123.com  (chrome Or IE7-IE9)
Donation BTC: 1F4zvgxAqpbCktYp8oKeupjY2oL3JWVFa3      QQ Group: 229207518
ANN监控系统创世帖 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=657764.0
rhkazani1 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:12:07 PM

what?

what?
cryptoangel

Activity: 700
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:13:01 PM

Makes no sense, Check the blockchain. If they is no coins in your address then you have lost them. Otherwise use a new system that is not infected and transfer the wallet.dat over.

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█                         █
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        █
           ▄▄███████▄▄   █
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████████  █
         ████▀     ▀████
         ████       ████
         ████▄     ▄████
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████████  █
           ▀▀███████▀▀   █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        █
█                         █
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
ROLLBIT●  Instant Deposits & Withdrawals
●  Rakeback & Level Up Bonuses
●  Live Customer Support
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
PLAY NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
rhkazani1 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:13:56 PM

Makes no sense, Check the blockchain. If they is no coins in your address then you have lost them. Otherwise use a new system that is not infected and transfer the wallet.dat over.

In order to get the coin one needs the password right? which password? new or the old one?
instacalm

Activity: 798

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:15:11 PM

Let's say I encrypted my wallet with a password "123456" and I kept the same password for 2 months. I then somehow realized that my wallet is hacked, or I had a trojan/malware or some one might have my wallet.dat, I plan to change my password to "98765".

Lets say someone hacked my wallet before I changed the password, So what password is now effective? Is 123456 or 98765? Which password does he need to get the coins?

Hi rhkazani1, if someone compromised the wallet.dat which was encrypted with password "123456", then that's the password for the wallet. Whether you change your password or not has no effect on the compromised wallet.dat file as it's different from your new one with the changed password.

P.S. wrong category
yampi

Activity: 433
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:15:43 PM

In order to get the coin one needs the password right? which password? new or the old one?

Anyone that has the access to the private key of a bitcoin adress that has received bitcoins has the rights to spend it.
rhkazani1 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:17:46 PM

Hi rhkazani1, if someone compromised the wallet.dat which was encrypted with password "123456", then that's the password for the wallet. Whether you change your password or not has no effect on the compromised wallet.dat file as it's different from your new one with the changed password.

P.S. wrong category

This answers, thanks. Just realized its in wrong category.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:19:21 PM

you guys didn't understand what he asks...he need the new one if he didn't compromise the wallet but just copy-paste it to his pc
rhkazani1 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:20:02 PM

you guys didn't understand what he asks...he need the new one

There you go, different answer now, so you mean the password is communicated on the network / Blockchain?
Mr_Banana_Split

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:21:08 PM

P.S. wrong category

If that really happened and you still have your funds, get them out out that wallet into a new one ASAP !

mbs
rhkazani1 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:21:12 PM

you guys didn't understand what he asks...he need the new one if he didn't compromise the wallet but just copy-paste it to his pc

But he copy/pasted when the password was 123456 not 98765, i changed the password after the wallet.dat was copied?
rhkazani1 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:22:21 PM

P.S. wrong category

If that really happened and you still have your funds, get them out out that wallet into a new one ASAP !

mbs

not sure, it might have happened, due diligence , he might be trying to crack the password, would it help if i change the password now?
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:23:04 PM

There you go, different answer now, so you mean the password is communicated on the network / Blockchain?

i edited, if he didn't compromise the wallet(he don't know the pass so he can't access it, but you are still the only one that know about it) then he need the new one

But he copy/pasted when the password was 123456 not 98765, i changed the password after the wallet.dat was copied?

if he(the hacker) can't access to the wallet then he need the new pass
rhkazani1 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:26:39 PM

i edited, if he didn't compromise the wallet(he don't know the pass so he can't access it, but you are still the only one that know about it) then he need the new one

if he can't access to the wallet then he need the new pass

Okay, lets say you have my wallet.dat and the password is 123456, but you're still trying to crack it, i now know that you have it and i still see my coins, and i figure out that you still haven't gotten the password, if i change it to 98765, do you need 123456 or 98765? When you got the wallet.dat the password was 123456?
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:27:15 PM

Okay, lets say you have my wallet.dat and the password is 123456, but you're still trying to crack it, i now know that you have it and i still see my coins, and i figure out that you still haven't gotten the password, if i change it to 98765, do you need 123456 or 98765? When you got the wallet.dat the password was 123456?

i need 98765, but if i craked it it doesn't matter anymore what pass you set, because i can access to that wallet
rhkazani1 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:27:44 PM

i need 98765

Awesome, that answers, thanks so much!
instacalm

Activity: 798

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:29:45 PM

No. If you want to secure the wallet, you should move its funds out into a new wallet asap. As stated earlier, locally changing the wallet's password from A to B does not secure the wallet if a stranger owns the wallet.dat file which was encrypted with password A and knows password A. If you change it to B, that has no effect on the compromised wallet.
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:29:52 PM

it's a bit like an account, if someone steal an aka, but then you change the pass when he log out, he need the new one

No. If you want to secure the wallet, you should move its funds out into a new wallet asap. As stated earlier, locally changing the wallet's password from A to B does not secure the wallet if a stranger owns the wallet.dat file which was encrypted with password A and knows password A. If you change it to B, that has no effect on the compromised wallet.

the point is that he don't know about the password A, he just have the copy of the wallet, he can't access it
rhkazani1 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:31:12 PM

This is exactly what i thought, but you guys have spent more time on it, so wanted a clarification. Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: