Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:17:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best EU country for a bitcoin startup?  (Read 4853 times)
arnuschky (OP)

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 08:04:23 PM

Which is at the moment the most advantageous EU country for a bitcoin startup?
Not sure, as I haven't been following the news lately.

UK for example seems to be very good on the legal side, but banks seem to
starve out all bitcoin-related business (that is rumor, though).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:10:09 AM

You could speak to the banks before hand or not have a UK bank. I would say UK is probably the best option as it's pretty friendly and cost efficient to accept Bitcoin in your business.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 10:08:36 AM

once UK sort out the banking side which i believe they will i would say UK is very bitcoin friendly
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:02:12 PM

London is probably the best option when they sort out some of the legal issues.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
ForgottenPassword

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:08:41 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2014, 01:19:42 PM by ForgottenPassword

That sort of depends on what the business is.

If its a gambling business then Ireland is a good place, SatoshiDice have a setup there - they are lax on gambling regulations.

If its something privacy focused you may want to go for Belgium for the strong privacy laws. Netherlands also has tax-advantages (lack of capital gains tax).

If you're worried about banking issues, why not go for Slovenia, Bitstamp have no problems operating from there. Or maybe Switzerland although they have complicated relations with the EU.

Talk to a lawyer, they can advise you best.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX
MakeBelieve

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:11:11 PM

Actually I never thought about Switzerland they would be a awesome country to start a business up because of their banking advantages. 

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
ForgottenPassword

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:13:37 PM

Actually I never thought about Switzerland they would be a awesome country to start a business up because of their banking advantages.  

Yeah it's a good idea, however I noticed that the OP said EU (Switzerland is not fully part of the EU). Additionally things have changed a lot in Switzerland in relation to off-shore bank accounts. It's not as good as it used to be.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

MakeBelieve

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:15:00 PM

Yeah it's a good idea, however I noticed that the OP said EU (Switzerland is not fully part of the EU). Additionally things have changed a lot of Switzerland in relation to off-shore bank accounts. It's not as good as it used to be.

Ah that's actually correct I forgot about it had to be in the EU. But offshore would still be a pretty good choice regardless if you are opening the business in another country.

cryptofan5

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:41:48 PM

I think most EU countries are good for that. There are no specific laws yet that would prohibit bitcoin activity.

arnuschky (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 08:32:02 PM

I think most EU countries are good for that. There are no specific laws yet that would prohibit bitcoin activity.

True, but that introduces a lot of insecurity.

Thanks to all for the replies; UK or Netherlands seem to be good options.
I would never go to Belgium, they seem to have insane taxing.
Slovenia sounds good as well, but no idea wrt the language barrier...
Switzerland is a no-go, as not EU.
ForgottenPassword

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 09:25:26 PM

True, but that introduces a lot of insecurity.

Thanks to all for the replies; UK or Netherlands seem to be good options.
I would never go to Belgium, they seem to have insane taxing.
Slovenia sounds good as well, but no idea wrt the language barrier...

I don't like the UK. Here is why:

The UK have something called Encryption Key Disclosure Laws.

This means LE can force you to provide passwords for anything encrypted, like sensitive documents or Bitcoin wallets. Additionally they can use it to force you to hand over your SSL private key. This also means that you could go to jail if you forgot your password.

I don't know if this would be an issue for your business though, but I hate travelling to the UK for this reason. It's quite scary knowing that I could go to prison if I was forced to provide my encryption passwords. I don't really have anything to hide (I'm boring) but I wouldn't provide the passwords out of principle, so if I was ever compelled by law to do so I'd have to go to prison. But it is something to think about for Bitcoin businesses as so many use crypto products.

ForgottenPassword

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 10:56:25 PM

no you dont get it, its a good thing not being tied down to the monolithic EU

If you sell goods/services from one EU country to another there is no import VAT/duties. There are advantages to being inside the EU.

maurya78

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 06:38:41 AM

Germany, Berlin is now a hotbed of btc innovation
Switzerland/Luxembourg may be tax efficient domiciles for the holding company

adamas
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003

VIS ET LIBERTAS

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 08:48:10 AM
Last edit: August 12, 2014, 09:23:02 AM by adamas

Switzerland/Luxembourg may be tax efficient domiciles for the holding company
+1 Luxembourg  https://www.mercabitcoin.com/en/information/luxembourg-opens-the-door-to-bitcoin-business
Germany, Berlin is now a hotbed of btc innovation
You should be aware of the fact that Berlin is flat broke, per-capita debt id. Detroit.

"Es ist kein Zeichen geistiger Gesundheit, gut angepasst an eine kranke Gesellschaft zu sein."
Chax

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 01:58:56 PM

Keep an eye on Jersey (Island of) - not in the EU but established financial trading links and tax efficient. Their government has just enabled laws so that the worlds regulator-approved Bitcoin investment fund has opened. They aim to get $200m dollars in the first year, so they will need to do something with it Wink .

If you are on the doorstep, share a bank manager, gym membership or lap-dancing club Roll Eyes membership - you might be in for some extra funding as well as a healthier business environment.
dquancey

Activity: 587

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 01:31:48 PM

This gets brought up quite a lot.

I'd say the UK. They have scrapped any Tax from BTC to BTC businesses, so that is a pretty damn good start.
arnuschky (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 01:41:40 PM

The UK have something called Encryption Key Disclosure Laws.

This means LE can force you to provide passwords for anything encrypted, like sensitive documents or Bitcoin wallets. Additionally they can use it to force you to hand over your SSL private key. This also means that you could go to jail if you forgot your password.

AFAIK most countries have these kinds of laws. Germany at least has one.
Hamuki
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 01:42:21 PM

Which is at the moment the most advantageous EU country for a bitcoin startup?
Not sure, as I haven't been following the news lately.

UK for example seems to be very good on the legal side, but banks seem to
starve out all bitcoin-related business (that is rumor, though).

Denmark.

No tax at all.

DurbanPoison

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 10:41:17 PM

Belgium.
ForgottenPassword

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:32:44 AM

AFAIK most countries have these kinds of laws. Germany at least has one.

Most countries don't, most countries do not have the power to force someone to decrypt data if they are not suspected of commiting a crime. Germany has very harsh laws in this area, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had key disclosure laws. For example, in Germany if you go into a store to buy a laptop and you tell the salesperson you are going to use it for hacking, they must not sell it to you. If they do they are guilty of a crime. Additionally simply possessing any "hacking tools" is an offence, including port scanning software which has more legitimate uses than illegitimate. This makes pentesting illegal in Germany and many computer security firms had to leave Germany when these laws came into effect. They also apparently treat Tor exit node operators really badly over there, there have been some scary stories.

I highly doubt that German key disclosure laws are as bad as in the UK as Germany has better laws regarding self-incrimination than the UK which you could use to your advantage should you be compelled to provide encryption keys.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: