Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:51:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Orleans "Street Scams"  (Read 5678 times)
REDoctober

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 03:06:44 AM

You never know what you are going to see on Bourbon Street, especially late at night. There is no place else like it in this country. If you can't have fun walking down Bourbon, you can't have fun.

Can you give an example? isn't the Bourbon street in the french neighbourhood or something? excuse my ignorance Smiley I'm not familliar with the US and especially with New Orleans
Bourbon street in the french quarter,New Orleans
Most anyone who comes to New Orleans wants to experience Bourbon Street. Many sights and sounds you won't experience anywhere else. You can walk around with a cocktail and take in the sights. There are many clubs/bars with live music by mainly NO musicians. A must-do for any first time tourist. Note: It can be a bit crowded at times so don't go if you don't like crowds.
I think a lot of the "fun" that can be had in New Orleans has to do with drinking and getting drunk. If this is not your "cup of tea" then New Orleans and burbon street is likely not for you.

I don't like drinking, smoking, drugs or anything that is dangerous for my health,

You are like a giant, exotic, alien teddy bear from another dimension I cannot even comprehend.
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 04:16:24 PM

You never know what you are going to see on Bourbon Street, especially late at night. There is no place else like it in this country. If you can't have fun walking down Bourbon, you can't have fun.

Can you give an example? isn't the Bourbon street in the french neighbourhood or something? excuse my ignorance Smiley I'm not familliar with the US and especially with New Orleans
Most anyone who comes to New Orleans wants to experience Bourbon Street. Many sights and sounds you won't experience anywhere else. You can walk around with a cocktail and take in the sights. There are many clubs/bars with live music by mainly NO musicians. A must-do for any first time tourist. Note: It can be a bit crowded at times so don't go if you don't like crowds.
I think a lot of the "fun" that can be had in New Orleans has to do with drinking and getting drunk. If this is not your "cup of tea" then New Orleans and burbon street is likely not for you.

I don't like drinking, smoking, drugs or anything that is dangerous for my health,

You are like a giant, exotic, alien teddy bear from another dimension I cannot even comprehend.

Why you think so ? I personally find it weird when people are proud about destroying their health and being potentially a danger to other good thinking, it's not like I never tried drinking, weed and what's not, I did when I was a teen, and I didn't find any interest into it, not only that but I saw how smoking destroyed my fathers health till he got a heart stroke, and stopped afterward and from there he's been doing better, I lost a couple of friends due to drinking and driving, and old friends of mine is mentally ill due to the effect of weed and other drugs. I'm pretty happy with my current life style if anything is the lack of sports that I need to fix
Fray

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 04:28:23 AM

I wouldn't go that far, but I would say he is certainly in the minority. In my experience the fast majority of people enjoy "partying" at least somewhat in small frequencies.

This is why places like New Orleans are so popular with tourists as people go there to enjoy a short vacation of partying. It is also probably likely why there are so many street scams there because so many people there are inebriated.
Refeek

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 08:21:21 PM

Anyone here from Metairie?
designerusa
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1028

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 04:28:41 PM

Never have I seen a city that only has negative reviews online. Every single post is only complaining about homeless people:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Louisiana/New_Orleans-793014/Warnings_or_Dangers-New_Orleans-Betcha_I_can_tell_ya_where_ya_got_dem_shoes-BR-1.html

Person on street: I bet you $20 I know where you got them shoes!

Tourist: ...Okay <shakes>

Person on street: You got them shoes on your feet!

Tourist: Incorrect! I got them at a store, but I have them on my feet. English has thwarted you yet again my noble friend!

then you get stabbed.

Ready to lose more money? The question after the famous 'shoes' trick is this "Double or nothing, guvner. Give me your last name and I will spell your first name."
Which you, being afraid to walk away from a smiling black guy, then do - shaking his hand and sealing the bet.
He spells "y-o-u-r-l-a-s-t-n-a-m-e"

Someone stopped us acting all friendly and before we knew it we were hit with the "I bet I can tell you where you got 'dem shoes" scam. Of course I knew that the answer was "On my feet on Bourbon St" but instead of just walking away immediately as we should have, we stood there and let her (yes...HER) pull the "I bet I can spell your last name" scam out of the bag. When I didn't respond she drooped down and "shined" my tennis shoes and demanded money. I gave her a dollar and she got up in my face and said that wasn't enough. She was kinda scary so my husband gave her another dollar and she walked on. We learned a big lesson from this. Do not allow yourself to be put in this situation. If someone you don't know tries to stop you or talk to you...don't let them. Act like you don't speak English if you have to...just don't give them an opportunity to do this to you.

That city is worse than Detroit. In Detroit they are at least trying to build up an economy again with new industry. This city was hit by Katrina and they didn't even try to fix it after that!

not only new orleans has scammers but also every place on earth has scammers too so do not give new orleans a bad name..
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: