Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 08:26:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Orleans "Street Scams"  (Read 5678 times)
Satan666

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

The love of fiat is the root of all good

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 02:19:53 AM

How can something like this happen in the US?

Because America doesn't have enough government.  Those damn libertarians and anarchists are to blame.
Honeypot

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:27:32 AM

It's interesting people are dancing around the most obvious cause: racial attitude.

Two of the most bankrupt and corrupt places in America are detroit and new orleans. Now check the racial history of those two places and current demographics, not to mention mayoral ethnic background.

This doesn't even count in places such as oakland, ca or washington dc metro area. When are you going to stop dancing around the fact that american blacks are simply not stepping up to acting like proper citizens compared to all other ethnicities, even mexicans?

Do not give weak excuses about economics or crock tear 'oppression' stories. Other places have had it worse, and got much better. These places are the way they are because of blacks, plain and simple.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 11:18:46 AM

Well that site hasn't updated since 2008 on the comments
But your right they were all pretty negative but six years is a long time.

Latest comment
On your feet!
by TravellerMel Written Aug 30, 2008
3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

Unfortunately, New Orleans has a large number of homeless and/or seedy people who live in and around the tourist areas, and they like to harass tourists and locals alike. A common scam is to approach a "mark" and make a bet, along the lines of "I betcha I can tell you where you got them shoes." Once you engage them, even dismissively ("I can't even remember where..."), they have you hooked. They will talk you into agreeing to let them tell you where you where, indeed, you got your shoes. The unarguable answer will be: on your feet, on the street, in New Orleans. Most likely, this is the point where they will inform you that you now must pay them $20 for the "lesson" - and this last part is definitely meant to sound intimidating.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Satan666

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

The love of fiat is the root of all good

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:23:08 PM

It's interesting people are dancing around the most obvious cause: racial attitude.

Two of the most bankrupt and corrupt places in America are detroit and new orleans. Now check the racial history of those two places and current demographics, not to mention mayoral ethnic background.

This doesn't even count in places such as oakland, ca or washington dc metro area. When are you going to stop dancing around the fact that american blacks are simply not stepping up to acting like proper citizens compared to all other ethnicities, even mexicans?

Do not give weak excuses about economics or crock tear 'oppression' stories. Other places have had it worse, and got much better. These places are the way they are because of blacks, plain and simple.

You're fucking brilliant!  I agree!  Let's not "dance around" this issue any more!  It's time for us to declare war on melanin!  If we can just rid the world of this hideous melanin all of our problems will be solved!
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:43:30 PM
Last edit: August 11, 2014, 03:47:29 PM by Ron~Popeil

I go to NO 2-3 times a year and have never had an issue. It is one of my favorite places to visit. The culinary and arts scene is great. You have to be street smart in any major city but it isn't like the predators descend on you as soon as you step outside your hotel lobby.

kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 10:37:04 AM

It's not a scam it's just theft, because at the end they force you to give the money and shoes without anything contractual.

As someone who travels a lot, I think there is a minimum of things to do, avoid shaddy area and if you go there don't carry valuables, and where plain things

Avoid showing off your stuff, there are thiefs/scammers that would choose their targets from the hotel exit and approach you when you'd least expect it

Moving in groups help, but I think the most important thing is to work on the individual behavior before anything else
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:10:59 PM

That's why you come to NO. To listen to music, people watch and eat the awesome food. Use Tripadvisor for eating. Bourbon st is full of people, all kinds. The music is everywhere and you can get and do about anything you want. A New Orleans staple. Don't leave town without walking down. It's busy most of the time but you don't have to be there real late to enjoy. 7:30 pm things are rocking already.
Visited October 2012

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:22:23 PM

If you are American, carry a gun and be prepared to use it. If you are a foreign tourist, carry a big metal flaslight and walk in large groups.

Massive unrepairable damage, unlimited ammo, just wearing it will keep most people away.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
kuroman

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:27:04 PM

If you are American, carry a gun and be prepared to use it. If you are a foreign tourist, carry a big metal flaslight and walk in large groups.

Massive unrepairable damage, unlimited ammo, just wearing it will keep most people away.

what that picture reminded me off

Might be one of the biggest scams of the decade?
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:45:39 PM

I went to New Orleans because so many friends had told be it was a place worth visiting, so I was very excited. It turned out I did not understand what all the fuss was about. The French Quarter smelled like garbage, even though there are people cleaning all the time, the stench is still in the air. The tours you take on carriages are to worth the money you pay. Bourbon St is full of cheap, drunk, sleazy people partying like its there first time in a bar. Over all I could not wait for the weekend to be over.

Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:30:09 AM

You never know what you are going to see on Bourbon Street, especially late at night. There is no place else like it in this country. If you can't have fun walking down Bourbon, you can't have fun.
cryptasm
Legendary

Activity: 997
Merit: 1002

Gamdom.com

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 09:36:35 AM

It's time for us to declare war on melanin!  If we can just rid the world of this hideous melanin all of our problems will be solved!

lol, you'll have to excuse Honeypot, he's a bit obsessed with black people.
kuroman

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:37:59 AM

You never know what you are going to see on Bourbon Street, especially late at night. There is no place else like it in this country. If you can't have fun walking down Bourbon, you can't have fun.

Can you give an example? isn't the Bourbon street in the french neighbourhood or something? excuse my ignorance Smiley I'm not familliar with the US and especially with New Orleans
umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 11:11:24 AM

Can you give an example? isn't the Bourbon street in the french neighbourhood or something? excuse my ignorance Smiley I'm not familliar with the US and especially with New Orleans
Bourbon street in the french quarter,New Orleans
Most anyone who comes to New Orleans wants to experience Bourbon Street. Many sights and sounds you won't experience anywhere else. You can walk around with a cocktail and take in the sights. There are many clubs/bars with live music by mainly NO musicians. A must-do for any first time tourist. Note: It can be a bit crowded at times so don't go if you don't like crowds.

kuroman

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 03:34:53 PM

Most anyone who comes to New Orleans wants to experience Bourbon Street. Many sights and sounds you won't experience anywhere else. You can walk around with a cocktail and take in the sights. There are many clubs/bars with live music by mainly NO musicians. A must-do for any first time tourist. Note: It can be a bit crowded at times so don't go if you don't like crowds.

Interesting might be something to add in a tour, for a next visit to the US, and of course taking in consideration this scam, the trick I do sometimes when I'm bothered and I'm in unsafe area I just pretend  not be able to speak the language and keep walking, works almost every time
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:12:26 PM

Hurricane season is actually a nice time to go. People tend to avoid the gulf coast from August to November for fear of having their travel interrupted. You can get some nice deals on hotels and restaurants often have lower prices. 

Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 06:59:10 PM

http://www.sketchfactor.com/

http://www.examiner.com/article/d-c-news-crew-robbed-news-crew-reporting-on-racist-locality-app-robbed

Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:07:40 AM

I think a lot of the "fun" that can be had in New Orleans has to do with drinking and getting drunk. If this is not your "cup of tea" then New Orleans and burbon street is likely not for you.
kuroman

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:19:59 AM

I think a lot of the "fun" that can be had in New Orleans has to do with drinking and getting drunk. If this is not your "cup of tea" then New Orleans and burbon street is likely not for you.

I don't like drinking, smoking, drugs or anything that is dangerous for my health, by I enjoy laughing with my friends when they are drunk before they hit the bucket, so I guess that's the ambiance you have there if I understood your post correctly
Honeypot

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 02:46:42 AM

It's time for us to declare war on melanin!  If we can just rid the world of this hideous melanin all of our problems will be solved!

lol, you'll have to excuse Honeypot, he's a bit obsessed with black people.

Ain't that right, boy Smiley

You my new bitch?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: