Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 02:00:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I Ordered this to be my dedicated android cold storage wallet  (Read 2145 times)
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 01:27:17 PM

I'd probably go that route, but I'll use my old Samsung, reset it to factory, or flash a new bare OS into it, root it, then titanium all the apps out of it. (Use the root to DELETE all the apps, even the google apps). Just leave enough so it can connect via wifi.

LOL wtf? and you call that cold storage?

Okaaaay, maybe I missed a small detail ... if the android phone is always going to be offline, how will it submit or broadcast the transaction? Not unless there is something like Armory for Android.

Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 01:37:20 PM

Okaaaay, maybe I missed a small detail ... if the android phone is always going to be offline, how will it submit or broadcast the transaction? Not unless there is something like Armory for Android.

You could look at Electrum - it has an Android version IIRC. Although I have no clue whether the Android version supports offline signing (it should - as the PC/Mac versions do it fine).
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:28:43 PM

I'd probably go that route, but I'll use my old Samsung, reset it to factory, or flash a new bare OS into it, root it, then titanium all the apps out of it. (Use the root to DELETE all the apps, even the google apps). Just leave enough so it can connect via wifi.

My whole plan is not to root it, because when you root it, things can get written in the phone backend system and harder to figure out also. If you leave it un-rooted it would be harder to trojan it,

Naaahh, you really need to keep it off WiFi forever! Only sign your TXs offline, man. If this thing can connect to the internet ever again, you may be screwed! But yeah, rooting it may open it up for even more malware.

^ This.

this is cold-storage 101 man...come on... its not cold storage if you bring it online....EVER.

Sign your TXs offline please.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 04:38:00 PM

http://www.everbuying.com/product567122.html

It uses Android 4.4 which is pretty good, and its VERY cheap . It will be NON-rooted - I wont put a simcard in it.. and most of the time in Airplane mode. Unless i need to take some funds out of my cold storage. I will take it online ONLY to broadcast the transaction and then back offline once again.

I will have the stock apps that come with the phone + Avast Security & Virus + Mycellium  << These are the only 2 apps I will install . ( I know the avast security is more just a placebo app lol, the way I will be using this phone wont even have a chance to get a virus)

I think this is much neater and more comfortable than a laptop. Bear in mind I will not keep Private keys on this phone. When ever I want to spend some out of my cold storage, I will open my SAFE take out my phone + a Metal Key <<with this KEY I will then go to my other Camouflaged safe which doesn't look like a Safe but has my paper wallets in there I will use my encrypted version to scan QR code and write my sentence password  to decrypt. Once it decrypts my wallet is now in Send/receive mode instead of RECEIVE/VIEW mode only. I then send the funds to one of my spend wallets and delete the key from mycellium rendering it back to VIEW ONLY MODE. Place everything back into my separate safes. and go spend some BTC Cheesy

If you're disabling Airplane Mode at any time, your funds may be lost. It doesn't matter, when you let your phone access the Internet. If there should be malware installed on your phone, it may wait for those moments and transmit your private keys to some attacker!
He's right. The very moment you EVER turn off airplane mode, your "COLD" wallet has just become HOT and it will FOREVER be hot from that one single moment online.

DON'T MIX HOT AND COLD STORAGE. If you'll use the phone for cold storage, use it for that purpose ONLY!

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Luckylui

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

STILL MISSING MY 12 BTC FROM SCAMOOLAHPAL! >:O

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:40:28 PM

It's difficult to hack "android linux" coding.

You have to be a pro to do that. Windows is by far the easiest OS to hack.

XDA-DEVELOPERS is where you can find more info on android Smiley

GRN: GcALR1ppyB3hz4J8o9wFRdtFQd7GSA1Ydb / STR: gMZ5pGRzWPg23yBFiN5GTq8Jg8JgpmNrjF
https://www.laxotrade.com/?ref=ReRunRod
https://coinking.io/?r=9974
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 03:36:28 PM

It's difficult to hack "android linux" coding.

You have to be a pro to do that. Windows is by far the easiest OS to hack.

XDA-DEVELOPERS is where you can find more info on android Smiley

And everyone there is either rooting their devices or flashing bare OS roms.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: