Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:40:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: coins must be judged by VOLUME not marketcap  (Read 1324 times)
Nawaytes

Activity: 476
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 06:02:10 PM

Lol, coins must not be judged by 1 factor only. You should do some research before investing in a coin. Are the devs trustworthy and delivering as promised? Is the coin premined? How does the logo look like? What are the benefits of the coin? And even then it's not a guaranteed success.

of course agreed with this,
many factor to judge a coin, i have experience with dev factor.
I had ever bought coins with high market,
but after I bought a lot of coins, the price was dropped to -270%.
I am very frustrated to lose a lot of btc.
and I seek to know the information from that coin forum. I get the news, there is a dev with problems, takes away a lot of coins, also spread FUD and dump all the coins. The price is dropped.

talk about volume coin,
coins with large amounts, millions, billions.
very difficult to rise the price.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
oldmarsh

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 06:42:22 PM

But the shills for the pump-and-dump coins don't like it when you bring up volume. Especially since they love to scream about how Litecoin is dead/dying, yet it consistently does 10x the daily volume of the pump-and-dumps.
vuduchyld

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 09:00:53 PM

Sorry, OP, but 24 hour volume is damn near meaningless.  And it is close to impossible to find the more meaningful 30 day volume stats on altcoins in one handy place.

Alt traders need a better information clearinghouse. Too much information asymmetry.

I have been experimenting with a couple of index concepts for alts that exclude BTC and represent the alt market. The only two indexes I have seen include BTC, which comprises 93% of the index movement. For my indexes, I am utilizing a selection process that includes BOTH cap AND volume. Indexes rebalance every two weeks because of the volatility. They have just over 30 coins that meet requirements right now.
rikkejohn

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 09:23:59 PM

Bitcoindark/cloak/stellar are very bad

This statement is nonsense [let me add that I have nothing to do with these three particular coins]. Volume defines what is 'good' at a given time as it's traded among people's money. I could care less about a coin that has $100M marketcap but a very low daily volume. It's completely irrelevant to me, hence not good.

I do not share your ideological thinking. I see things through a capitalistic rather than ideological lens, you see.

Erm, capitalism is an ideological concept.

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 12:41:09 PM

I do not ideologically judge a coin at all - I judge its market value best reflected by its volume. I do not care whether it's called Dogecoin or Bitcoindark or Laudacoin, whether it is premined or not or this or that, I care whether it is traded at a high volume or not. [...]  You must understand that your entire point is of ideological nature, hence completely useless to me.  If it's able to increase my capital, it is good. Capital is important to me, not ideology.

[ ... ]

p.s. bitcointalk-account status does not correlate with knowledge of cryptocurrency markets. why so arrogant?

On your latter point, I tend to agree that is true in most cases but in this particular instance, you post an unsupported simplistic assertion as the topic of a bitcointalk thread and you received some negative feedback because of that. Why so thin-skinned?

If you are so convinced of the primacy of this factor, why don't you simply code up your assertion as an algorithm, hook it up to your bank account, sit back and watch your wealth accumulate? Because, despite your strenuous assertions, that's not how you as an individual assess an altcoin. You cannot rely on casual introspection to produce reliable information about your own mental processes:

Telling more than we can know: Verbal reports on mental processes.
By Nisbett, Richard E.; Wilson, Timothy D.
Psychological Review, Vol 84(3), Mar 1977, 231-259.
Abstract
Reviews evidence which suggests that there may be little or no direct introspective access to higher order cognitive processes. Ss are sometimes (a) unaware of the existence of a stimulus that importantly influenced a response, (b) unaware of the existence of the response, and (c) unaware that the stimulus has affected the response. It is proposed that when people attempt to report on their cognitive processes, that is, on the processes mediating the effects of a stimulus on a response, they do not do so on the basis of any true introspection. Instead, their reports are based on a priori, implicit causal theories, or judgments about the extent to which a particular stimulus is a plausible cause of a given response. This suggests that though people may not be able to observe directly their cognitive processes, they will sometimes be able to report accurately about them. Accurate reports will occur when influential stimuli are salient and are plausible causes of the responses they produce, and will not occur when stimuli are not salient or are not plausible causes. (86 ref) (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved)

A more likely context is that you (in common with other laypersons) are probably mostly oblivious to the cognitive biases (wikipedia entry) operating within your mental model and this has led you to construct some quite profound misperceptions which you may find compelling but others simply don't.

Cheers,

Graham
Rofo
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 01:24:53 PM

Volume is more easily manipulated than marketcap.

This.

If I get a current $1,000 vol. coin that's like 90th in market cap a quarter of a million $$ in volume will you think it matters and give me 5BTC for making such an awesome coin?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: