Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:38:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Petitioning Cryptsy, Btc-e and others for Monero(XMR)  (Read 7399 times)
thefunkybits (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 02:55:22 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2014, 06:50:55 AM by thefunkybits

THE REWARD HAS NOW BEEN INCREASED TO 0.4 XMR...PLEASE FIND MORE INFO BELOW:

Monero users: I would like to start a petition to Cryptsy, btc-E, OKcoin, Bitstamp, Coindesk, Forbes and others to support Monero (XMR). Personally I trust Cryptsy more-so than some of these other exchanges and I'd like to trade my Monero on a more secure and liquid platform. Coindesk seems to be blatantly censoring XMR and we should let them know how we feel as well.

If you share similar feelings or simply want cryptsy and others to get behind Monero (XMR) please tweet them and tell them why they should add Monero (XMR)!

A total of 10 XMR will be pledged towards this campaign funded by myself, Nekomata and saddambitcoin. If anyone else wants to chip in, please PM me

Each Monero tweeter will get 0.1 XMR 0.2 XMR until we run out (limited to 1 tx per person)

THE REWARD HAS NOW BEEN INCREASED TO 0.4 XMR

RULES:

1. TAG AT LEAST 3 - @cryptsy, @btcecom, @okcoinBTC, @Bitstamp @coindesk, @forbes, @CryptoCobain IN A TWEET MENTIONING MONERO (XMR)

2. HASHTAG #MTC (Monero Twitter Campaign) TO VERIFY

3. SCREENSHOT YOUR TWEET AND PM ME THE PICTURE AND YOUR XMR ADDRESS

If you would like to donate to this cause just PM me (maybe the reward could be raised or could fund a longer campaign)

Send Tweets to:

EXCHANGES

@cryptsy
@btcecom
@okcoinBTC
@Bitstamp
@btcchina
@vaultofsatoshi

MEDIA OUTLETS

@coindesk
@maxkeiser
@aantonop
@jonmatonis
@CryptoCobain
@forbes

if you think anyone else should be on this list just mention it below and I'll try to add it asap!
claimore

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 10:02:29 PM

Done and done. Why are they not adding it yet?
rikkejohn

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 10:02:59 PM

Maybe you're not shills after all, it could be a cult .... maybe you should move to Guyana and build Monerotown.  

Worth a shot!

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2014, 10:36:08 PM

Maybe you're not shills after all, it could be a cult .... maybe you should move to Guyana and build Monerotown.  

Worth a shot!

So let me get this straight. A group of people work to improve something from a reference implementation to a point where it actually has utility and value. Along the way they garner attention from people of all sorts with all levels of intelligence, education, and background. Those people express - sometimes quite vocally - their enthusiasm for the work that the budding group are doing.

You label their enthusiasm "shilling" and "a cult".

Don't you think that's a bit disrespectful to those people genuinely trapped in religious cults today? Don't you think your overly liberal use of terms that are clearly not applicable does nothing to prove your point, and only serves to reduce your own credibility?

If you want to tackle Monero, tackle us on a technical level. Point out where we are abjectly and unequivocally wrong on some technical approach. Show us the fundamental errors we've made with regards to implementation or cryptographic primitives or user threat modes or attack surfaces. Beyond that? Let the cryptocurrency live or die on its own merit if it is not fundamentally technically broken.

rikkejohn

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:11:56 AM

Worth a shot!

shilling" and "a cult".

Don't you think that's a bit disrespectful to those people genuinely trapped in religious cults today? Don't you think your overly liberal use of terms that are clearly not applicable does nothing to prove your point, and only serves to reduce your own credibility?

No

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 07:50:55 AM

No

You're still not demonstrating even the slightest understanding of Monero's technical underpinnings. If you want to have a discussion, tell us about our technical shortcomings, not the actions of users. That sort of butthurt strategy hasn't stopped Apple from being successful (in spite of anyone who uses an Apple product being labelled a "fanboi"), and it won't stop Monero from being useful and useable.

furlong

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 02:52:19 PM

Monero is my fave coin, please get on cryptsy and mint  Cry
thefunkybits (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 07:19:27 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2014, 08:25:31 PM by thefunkybits

Has there been any organized effort to contact BTC-e?

I think they should be added to the list

@btcecom
Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 07:24:09 PM

Why? Focus on getting your coin to usability, at some point volume will reach a critical mass and exchanges will add it. Focusing on more exchanges while your coin is still just a speculative vehicle just makes it look like your priorities are in the wrong place.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 08:00:40 PM

Why? Focus on getting your coin to usability, at some point volume will reach a critical mass and exchanges will add it. Focusing on more exchanges while your coin is still just a speculative vehicle just makes it look like your priorities are in the wrong place.

From the Monero OP on Bitcointalk - the core team is (in no particular order) - tacotime, eizh, smooth, fluffypony, othe, davidlatapie, NoodleDoodle.

If anyone else decides to embark on an initiative relating to Monero we are certainly not able to stop them, nor would we want to impinge on their freedom to pursue whatever goal they choose. If you read the Monero Missives and watch our Developer Fireside Chat from the other day it should be apparent and clear that the core team is focused on usability and other fundamental Monero issues, but thank you for re-enforcing that we are on the right path in doing so.

nakaone

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 08:01:46 PM

it is kind of an equlibrium - if it is not well distributed, coins usability does not help
thefunkybits (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 08:40:36 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2014, 09:22:37 PM by thefunkybits

It would be nice to monetize this so I will pledge 3 XMR towards this campaign.

Each Monero tweeter will get 0.1 XMR until I run out (limited to 1 tx per person)

RULES:

1. TAG AT LEAST 2 - @cryptsy, @btcecom, @coindesk , @maxkeiser IN A TWEET MENTIONING MONERO (XMR)

If you would like to donate to this cause just PM me (maybe the reward could be raised or could fund a longer campaign)

aaand go!
thefunkybits (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 09:59:49 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2014, 11:26:13 PM by thefunkybits

UPDATE:

A total of 5 XMR will be pledged towards this campaign. by myself and Nekomata. If anyone else wants to chip in, please PM me.

Each Monero tweeter will get 0.1 XMR 0.2 XMR  FOR FIRST TEN PARTICIPANTS (Thanks to Nekomata) until we run out, limited to 1 tx per person.

RULES:

1. TAG AT LEAST 2 - @cryptsy, @btcecom, @coindesk , @maxkeiser IN A TWEET MENTIONING MONERO (XMR)

Send Tweets to:

@cryptsy
@btcecom

@coindesk
@maxkeiser
@stacyherbert
rikkejohn

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 10:12:50 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2014, 10:44:19 PM by rikkejohn

No

You're still not demonstrating even the slightest understanding of Monero's technical underpinnings. If you want to have a discussion, tell us about our technical shortcomings, not the actions of users. That sort of butthurt strategy hasn't stopped Apple from being successful (in spite of anyone who uses an Apple product being labelled a "fanboi"), and it won't stop Monero from being useful and useable.

I don't believe there is a need for its technical underpinnings, or if there is, then it is not worth drawing an analogy with Apple, which plays the CSR card all the time. You can't really do that with Monero.

I'm not saying it's not clever technology, just that it's not a fit for the vast majority of people.

So what is the point of it?

You can answer that question without referring to the rest of the altcoin world and its shortcomings.

*Edit

"jucarpau: venture, my friend is running the campaign, Free XMR for tweeting. $.50 per tweet lol its more profitable than mining."

(BTC-e Trollbox)

" FREE XMR campaign - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=731365.msg8285827#msg8285827"

(BTC-e Trollbox)

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 11:26:26 PM

Being smug and snarky is easy; understanding new technology like XMR's ring signatures is hard.

People said, and still say, the exact same thing about Bitcoin.  Maybe you should move to Guyana and build Bitopia.   Wink

I agree that paid hype is unseemly if done incorrectly, but fluffy's campaign is organic and honest.

Instead of nagging lagging exchanges, why not help Poloniex advertise and reward them for building a supremely XMR-centric exchange?

BTC-E will come around when the right oligarchs decide XMR is a good investment/store of value.  Don't hold your breath (or stamp your feet) while we wait for the inevitable.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
rikkejohn

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 11:41:36 PM

Being smug and snarky is easy; understanding new technology like XMR's ring signatures is hard.

People said, and still say, the exact same thing about Bitcoin.  Maybe you should move to Guyana and build Bitopia.   Wink

I agree that paid hype is unseemly if done incorrectly, but fluffy's campaign is organic and honest.

Instead of nagging lagging exchanges, why not help Poloniex advertise and reward them for building a supremely XMR-centric exchange?

BTC-E will come around when the right oligarchs decide XMR is a good investment/store of value.  Don't hold your breath (or stamp your feet) while we wait for the inevitable.

I doubt any oligarchs are going to bother much with XMR. I think they're too busy making money.

But I agree, understanding the technology is hard. I don't understand it. But I don't need the product.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 11:53:45 PM

I doubt any oligarchs are going to bother much with XMR. I think they're too busy making money.

But I agree, understanding the technology is hard. I don't understand it. But I don't need the product.

Once again, people also said and still same the same things about Bitcoin.  And look how wrong they have been!

Given the HUGE cheesy coin mixer advert in your sig, I'm not surprised you wish XMR would go away.

Because if you understood ring signatures you'd realize your silly mixer honey pot only provides a false sense of security, unlike Monero's genuine privacy. 

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:22:51 AM

Everyone knows I am a full Monero supporter and I applaud your initiative.

I will add another 5 XMR to the campaign budget.

(please PM me with your monero address)

edit: I don't think Coindesk is outright censoring Monero, rather I think they are not yet taking it seriously. Either that or they are keeping quiet while they accumulate. Monero is not currently at that user friendly stage where I think it would be able to maximize benefit from a PR campaign, but it will come.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:34:27 AM

Once again, people also said and still same the same things about Bitcoin.  And look how wrong they have been!

Given the HUGE cheesy coin mixer advert in your sig, I'm not surprised you wish XMR would go away.

Because if you understood ring signatures you'd realize your silly mixer honey pot only provides a false sense of security, unlike Monero's genuine privacy.  

Open a terminal on GNU/Linux and type:

Code:
whois bitmixer.io

Domain : bitmixer.io
Expiry : 2014-09-20

NS 1   : edna.ns.cloudflare.com
NS 2   : jake.ns.cloudflare.com

Owner  : Alex Bitshe
Owner  : Bitmixer
Owner  : Pb 1034 Sentrum
Owner  : Oslo
Owner  : NO

Traditional coin mixing services can be compromised in more than one way. XMR addresses this issue by creating trustless mixing. Spending some time to learn about the technology is warranted even for a competitor.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:05:33 AM

Also I think we should target some of the b-list crypto twitter influentials...

Perhaps others can identify the top names but people like Crypto Cobain and the like.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: