Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:27:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Content of wallet.dat - Bounty  (Read 3947 times)
Lucky Cris (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 04:45:07 PM

I need some help...

Long story short - lost all data on my hard drive and my external back drive.

I ran Photorec and recovered over 1 million files from hard drive, and if any of you has ever had to do that (so sorry)... you know the files are recovered with a generic name and most extensions are changed to txt.

Anyhoo - to locate wallets in the abyss, I can search the content of the files (grep recursive), but I don't have a freakin clue what's in a wallet.dat; never tried to open one.

That said - does anyone have some generic line of text from a wallet.dat that I can use to query a mil+ freakin txt files? I'm sure it's going to recover wallet.dat from backups, the trash, and even temp directories. I'm sure I'll have hundreds of wallet.dats, with only one being the one I need. So wondering... once I locate these files (fingers crossed), is there a way to identify the coin they belong to or date it was last updated or something?

Someone please help!

About the bounty - If you hadn't guessed by now my coins are on this hard drive. But I do have a lil bitchange in an exchange wallet that I'm willing to share.

FaSan

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 04:48:27 PM

Try this : https://github.com/pilate/keyhunter

FaSan
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 04:50:56 PM

Excellent! So the output would be the balance and I can just pluck the keys that have balances?

FaSan

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 04:52:47 PM

Excellent! So the output would be the balance and I can just pluck the keys that have balances?

No this software scan all sectors in your hdd and recovery only the privatekeys. No balances.

FaSan
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 04:55:31 PM

No this software scan all sectors in your hdd and recovery only the privatekeys. No balances.

FaSan

Oh, ok. Forgive me... not much of a techie. But once I get the private keys, then what? Fingers crossed that all of my important wallet.dats are recoverable - aren't the private keys in that file? Guess I'm not sure how to use this script.

FaSan

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 04:57:17 PM

FaSan

Oh, ok. Forgive me... not much of a techie. But once I get the private keys, then what? Fingers crossed that all of my important wallet.dats are recoverable - aren't the private keys in that file? Guess I'm not sure how to use this script.

Simple start it and wait. After take the list of privatekeys founded and re-import on another wallet. If you lucky, you take back all your bitcoins.

FaSan
0xAli

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 04:58:16 PM

If you open the wallet.dat in notepad the generic line would be like this:
name"ADDRESS here

I'm sure I'll have hundreds of wallet.dats, with only one being the one I need.

Is it a vanilla wallet or encrypted?

If it's plain normal wallet.dat then the old wallet can access the new coins. Not sure about encrypted wallets or wallets for tools other than bitcoinQT

Edit:

Other strings in my wallet:
minversion
defaultkey
version
setting
addrIncoming
minversion
defaultkey
version
setting
addrIncoming

Only god can judge me.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2014, 05:01:12 PM

Try searching anything related to this:

The original Bitcoin client wallet file is named wallet.dat and contains[1]:

keypairs for each of your addresses
transactions done from/to your addresses
user preferences
default key
reserve keys
accounts
a version number
Key pool
Since 0.3.21: information about the current best chain, to be able to rescan automatically when restoring from a backup.

Kindly,
       MZ

science

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:02:45 PM

have a look here ....

http://blog.cyplo.net/2012/04/01/bitcoin-wallet-recovery-photorec/

science

BTC: 1B12Kz4nzkjZPzeKrAJi3fcqJ9CDoGXaup
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:08:49 PM

I looked at an encrypted wallet using medit and the addresses and labels of addresses at least are there in plain text.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:33:39 PM

Try searching anything related to this:

The original Bitcoin client wallet file is named wallet.dat and contains[1]:

keypairs for each of your addresses
transactions done from/to your addresses
user preferences
default key
reserve keys
accounts
a version number
Key pool
Since 0.3.21: information about the current best chain, to be able to rescan automatically when restoring from a backup.

Kindly,
       MZ

Thanks... but I don't even know my addresses.

Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:35:03 PM

If you open the wallet.dat in notepad the generic line would be like this:
name"ADDRESS here

I'm sure I'll have hundreds of wallet.dats, with only one being the one I need.

Is it a vanilla wallet or encrypted?

If it's plain normal wallet.dat then the old wallet can access the new coins. Not sure about encrypted wallets or wallets for tools other than bitcoinQT

Edit:

Other strings in my wallet:
minversion
defaultkey
version
setting
addrIncoming
minversion
defaultkey
version
setting
addrIncoming

I have some not encrypted, but of course my bitcoins are. Are you able to provide a string? Grep's going to pull every document that has those words... that's why I need a string of text.

Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:36:48 PM

FaSan

Simple start it and wait. After take the list of privatekeys founded and re-import on another wallet. If you lucky, you take back all your bitcoins.

FaSan

Thanks! But I have about 20 different coins... I guess I'll have to try and match which key goes to what wallet?

science

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:37:07 PM

lucky did u ever look at the link i post before?? there u can find the answer

science

BTC: 1B12Kz4nzkjZPzeKrAJi3fcqJ9CDoGXaup
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:37:31 PM

I looked at an encrypted wallet using medit and the addresses and labels of addresses at least are there in plain text.

Thanks! I'll check this out once I find the files.

Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:38:11 PM

lucky did u ever look at the link i post before?? there u can find the answer

science
I was just about to respond to you Smiley  I see the link but haven't read it yet. Thanks for providing it Smiley

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:38:19 PM

Thanks! But I have about 20 different coins... I guess I'll have to try and match which key goes to what wallet?
import every private key to every wallet. you can import keys using RPC or command line so it shouldn't be too tedious.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:39:32 PM

Your post history does (only had a quick look):
16K6t4BtQwhbeTBaRrocCuptESyKcXTcuZ
1BUJ92LbERYLEPxfaxcRJECm5rXYasvsxE

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:50:16 PM

Holy smokes! So this will actually rename them to wallet.dats for me... and I can then use Newar's suggestion to peer inside the files to see addresses/labels maybe? Do wallet.dats have the coin name mentioned in them? that could help.

So to use this, it looks like I have to install fidentify? Can I assume that the wallet file extension was also located in the /usr/share/misc/magic directory as well?

Perhaps I should've mentioned that after I copied all files to my external drive, I reinstalled unbuntu... don't ask me why I didn't just take the damn hard drive and confirm the files were there before doing that. Coulda, woulda, shoulda doesn't help me now, it was an oversight, I was tired as hell. Anyhoo, I guess that's why Testdisk couldn't help me and I had to use Photorec.

Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:52:15 PM

Your post history does (only had a quick look):
16K6t4BtQwhbeTBaRrocCuptESyKcXTcuZ
1BUJ92LbERYLEPxfaxcRJECm5rXYasvsxE

Nice detective work Smiley  But those are from my online wallet... This is a new system I built a couple of months ago to start to start hosting pools so I had to download the client.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: